Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > FILE TRANSFER TO 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL EXT HD SNAFU

FILE TRANSFER TO 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL EXT HD SNAFU

G. Morgan

RtS wrote:

>>>As there is a limit as to what you can put on the root drive. So
>>>perhaps you have reached that limit.

>>Bwahahahahaaha!!!! You really ARE stupid.

>Am I?

Yes you are.

>http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...ot+drive+limit

What exactly on that result page am I supposed to be looking at, RtS?

>Seems a lot of very knowledgable people have the same idea.

Really? Care to provide a link?

>It has a lot to do with the BIOS and what it can handle.

Bullshit, not anymore.

>I've been messin around with computers since the mid '70's.

Whoop de doo - I wouldn't brag about that if I were you, you haven't learned a
damn thing in all this time.

>Before windows 3.1 came into existance and the only choice in
>languages was basic and dos.

Guess what genius? DOS is an operating system, not a programming language.

>I've been on this forum for 10 years.

And others too - I've read your dossier. You've admitted to possession of
child porn on your hard disk. Read about it here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dokland...oc/rtsfaq.html

You also told me 2 weeks ago that you had contacted Google and demanded they
remove any reference to your FAQ in their search results. You said they agreed
to comply. Well, they didn't - see #2 hit:
http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

>And the OP's question is relatively frequent.

Well answer his question then, ****wit. It is apparent you don't know the
answer.

>But you go ahead and believe what you want. Don't come back here with
>a stupid question about how you didn't know the root drive had a limit
>and it wouldn't accept your file.

I don't have a stupid question, I know your explanation is completely wrong.
For one the OP said he is only copying a 125MB file, that's way under the 37GB
limit of what you're babbling about.

No, **** you.

>Oh and do be sure to tell us how sluggish your system is to boot with
>all those files on it.

I'm feeling extra nice today since it's still Valentines Day so here's a link
for some light reading explaining why your theory is outdated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INT_13

--

I kill all Google Group posts, you can too.
Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org

richard

Thanks for the ntl link. I have been successful at getting most of the
mirror sites removed.

As for the question on limits, it doesn't matter if it was 1kb file.
You would still get the error message.
The limit refers to the maximum number of entries. Not the file size.

--
"Tell a lie often enough, loud enough, and long enough and people will believe you."
Adolph Hitler

G. Morgan

richard wrote:

>Thanks for the ntl link. I have been successful at getting most of the
>mirror sites removed.

Have fun.

>As for the question on limits, it doesn't matter if it was 1kb file.
>You would still get the error message.
>The limit refers to the maximum number of entries. Not the file size.

What O/S? How many entries? What makes you think the OP is booting off his
*external* drive? You have no argument, you stated no facts. You're a maroon.

--

I kill all Google Group posts, you can too.
Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org

Tom Tricep

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:19:28 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Tom Tricep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Good People:
>>
>>When I attempt to transfer divx files of any size, say 125mb, the
>>Western Digital HD recipient, a messge pops up and says "drive is
>>full". It will accept anything else, of any size. AVI's, Jpegs,
>>anything. I have 850gigs of free space.
>>
>>Wassup? Why is this?

>The name? Rename it and see.
>
>Some names are forbidden (Win2000 and up) you can't have a directory
>name'd PRN or even a text file name'd PRN.txt.

My OS is win 2000. I have attempted to rename the file, calling it
AVI, Calling it jpeg. It still will not copy or cut and paste.

I think it may have to do with the files being associated with divx,
possibly they may be still associated with the divix program although
there is no indication that divx is running. This is really wierd.

My task manager confirms that no programs are running at the time of
attempted transfer.

Next step is to copy the files onto a cd or dvd and then transfer them
onto my storage disc, unless someone has a solution.

I am still merilly transfering all kinds of files to the 1TB hard
drive, via drag and drop. It's just these bastard divx movie files.
To really make things interesting, I transferred other divx files no
problem.

The question is: what in a file that is being transferred that is 125
mb size make the reciepient drive think it was full?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Tricep

Tom Tricep

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:19:28 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>The name? Rename it and see.
>
>Some names are forbidden (Win2000 and up) you can't have a directory
>name'd PRN or even a text file name'd PRN.txt.

I think you may be onto something. These movies are a bit old. I did
change the name, nothing happened, it still did not accept, but I am
thinking maybe there is some script inside the file that is f'ing up?

Thanks for the info!

Tom Tricep

G. Morgan

Tom Tricep wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:19:28 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Tom Tricep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Good People:
>>>
>>>When I attempt to transfer divx files of any size, say 125mb, the
>>>Western Digital HD recipient, a messge pops up and says "drive is
>>>full". It will accept anything else, of any size. AVI's, Jpegs,
>>>anything. I have 850gigs of free space.
>>>
>>>Wassup? Why is this?

>>The name? Rename it and see.
>>
>>Some names are forbidden (Win2000 and up) you can't have a directory
>>name'd PRN or even a text file name'd PRN.txt.

>My OS is win 2000. I have attempted to rename the file, calling it
>AVI, Calling it jpeg. It still will not copy or cut and paste.
>
>I think it may have to do with the files being associated with divx,
>possibly they may be still associated with the divix program although
>there is no indication that divx is running. This is really wierd.
>
>My task manager confirms that no programs are running at the time of
>attempted transfer.
>
>Next step is to copy the files onto a cd or dvd and then transfer them
>onto my storage disc, unless someone has a solution.
>
>I am still merilly transfering all kinds of files to the 1TB hard
>drive, via drag and drop. It's just these bastard divx movie files.
>To really make things interesting, I transferred other divx files no
>problem.
>
>The question is: what in a file that is being transferred that is 125
>mb size make the reciepient drive think it was full?

Try it from the command line next. I would open a command prompt on the WD
drive and MD the .dir , CD to that .dir , then xcopy.

[for reference xcopy help:]

Xcopy Copies files and directories, including subdirectories.

Syntax
xcopy Source [Destination] [/w] [/p] [/c] [/v] [/q] [/f] [/l] [/g]
[/d[:mm-dd-yyyy]] [/u] [/i] [/s [/e]] [/t] [/k] [/r] [/h] [{/a|/m}] [/n] [/o]
[/x] [/exclude:file1[+[file2]][+[file3]] [{/y|/-y}] [/z]

Parameters
Source
Required. Specifies the location and names of the files you want to copy. This
parameter must include either a drive or a path.
Destination
Specifies the destination of the files you want to copy. This parameter can
include a drive letter and colon, a directory name, a file name, or a
combination of these.
/w
Displays the following message and waits for your response before starting to
copy files:
Press any key to begin copying file(s)

/p
Prompts you to confirm whether you want to create each destination file.
/c
Ignores errors.
/v
Verifies each file as it is written to the destination file to make sure that
the destination files are identical to the source files.
/q
Suppresses the display of xcopy messages.
/f
Displays source and destination file names while copying.
/l
Displays a list of files that are to be copied.
/g
Creates decrypted destination files.
/d[:mm-dd-yyyy]
Copies source files changed on or after the specified date only. If you do not
include a mm-dd-yyyy value, xcopy copies all Source files that are newer than
existing Destination files. This command-line option allows you to update files
that have changed.
/u
Copies files from Source that exist on Destination only.
/i
If Source is a directory or contains wildcards and Destination does not exist,
xcopy assumes destination specifies a directory name and creates a new
directory. Then, xcopy copies all specified files into the new directory. By
default, xcopy prompts you to specify whether Destination is a file or a
directory.
/s
Copies directories and subdirectories, unless they are empty. If you omit /s,
xcopy works within a single directory.
/e
Copies all subdirectories, even if they are empty. Use /e with the /s and /t
command-line options.
/t
Copies the subdirectory structure (that is, the tree) only, not files. To copy
empty directories, you must include the /e command-line option.
/k
Copies files and retains the read-only attribute on destination files if
present on the source files. By default, xcopy removes the read-only attribute.
/r
Copies read-only files.
/h
Copies files with hidden and system file attributes. By default, xcopy does not
copy hidden or system files.
/a
Copies only source files that have their archive file attributes set. /a does
not modify the archive file attribute of the source file. For information about
how to set the archive file attribute by using attrib, see Related Topics.
/m
Copies source files that have their archive file attributes set. Unlike /a, /m
turns off archive file attributes in the files that are specified in the
source. For information about how to set the archive file attribute by using
attrib, see Related Topics.
/n
Creates copies by using the NTFS short file or directory names. /n is required
when you copy files or directories from an NTFS volume to a FAT volume or when
the FAT file system naming convention (that is, 8.3 characters) is required on
the destination file system. The destination file system can be FAT or NTFS.
/o
Copies file ownership and discretionary access control list (DACL) information.
/x
Copies file audit settings and system access control list (SACL) information
(implies /o).
/exclude:filename1[+[filename2]][+[filename3]]
Specifies a list of files containing strings.
/y
Suppresses prompting to confirm that you want to overwrite an existing
destination file.
/-y
Prompts to confirm that you want to overwrite an existing destination file.
/z
Copies over a network in restartable mode.
/?
Displays help at the command prompt.
Remarks
Using /v
Windows XP does not use this command. It is accepted only for compatibility
with MS-DOS files.

Using /exclude
List each string in a separate line in each file. If any of the listed strings
match any part of the absolute path of the file to be copied, that file is then
excluded from the copying process. For example, if you specify the string
"\Obj\", you exclude all files underneath the Obj directory. If you specify the
string ".obj", you exclude all files with the .obj extension.

Using /z
If you lose your connection during the copy phase (for example, if the server
going offline severs the connection), it resumes after you reestablish the
connection. /z also displays the percentage of the copy operation completed for
each file.

Using /y in the COPYCMD environment variable
You can use /y in the COPYCMD environment variable. You can override this
command by using /-y on the command line. By default, you are prompted to
overwrite, unless you run copy from within a batch script.

Copying encrypted files
Copying encrypted files to a volume that does not support EFS results in an
error. Decrypt the files first or copy the files to a volume that does support
EFS.

Appending files
To append files, specify a single file for destination, but multiple files for
source (that is, by using wildcards or file1+file2+file3 format).

Default value for Destination
If you omit Destination, the xcopy command copies the files to the current
directory.

Specifying whether Destination is a file or directory
If Destination does not contain an existing directory and does not end with a
backslash (\), the following message appears:

Does destination specify a file name
or directory name on the target
(F = file, D = directory)?

Press F if you want the file or files to be copied to a file. Press D if you
want the file or files to be copied to a directory.

You can suppress this message by using the /i command-line option, which causes
xcopy to assume that the destination is a directory if the source is more than
one file or a directory.

Using the xcopy command to set archive attribute for Destination files
The xcopy command creates files with the archive attribute set, whether or not
this attribute was set in the source file. For more information about file
attributes and attrib, see Related Topics.

Comparing xcopy and diskcopy
If you have a disk that contains files in subdirectories and you want to copy
it to a disk that has a different format, use the xcopy command instead of
diskcopy. Because the diskcopy command copies disks track by track, your source
and destination disks must have the same format. The xcopy command does not
have this requirement. Use xcopy unless you need a complete disk image copy.

Exit codes for xcopy
To process exit codes returned by xcopy, use the errorlevel parameter on the if
command line in a batch program. For an example of a batch program that
processes exit codes using if, see Related Topics. The following table lists
each exit code and a description.

Exit code Description
0 Files were copied without error.
1 No files were found to copy.
2 The user pressed CTRL+C to terminate xcopy.
4 Initialization error occurred. There is not enough memory or disk space, or
you entered an invalid drive name or invalid syntax on the command line.
5 Disk write error occurred.

Examples
To copy all the files and subdirectories (including any empty subdirectories)
from drive A to drive B, type:

xcopy a: b: /s /e

To include any system or hidden files in the previous example, add the/h
command-line option as follows:

xcopy a: b: /s /e /h

To update files in the \Reports directory with the files in the \Rawdata
directory that have changed since December 29, 1993, type:

xcopy \rawdata \reports /d:12-29-1993

To update all the files that exist in \Reports in the previous example,
regardless of date, type:

xcopy \rawdata \reports /u

To obtain a list of the files to be copied by the previous command (that is,
without actually copying the files), type:

xcopy \rawdata \reports /d:12-29-1993 /l > xcopy.out

The file Xcopy.out lists every file that is to be copied.

To copy the \Customer directory and all subdirectories to the directory
\\Public\Address on network drive H:, retain the read-only attribute, and be
prompted when a new file is created on H:, type:

xcopy \customer h:\public\address /s /e /k /p

To issue the previous command, ensure that xcopy creates the \Address directory
if it does not exist, and suppress the message that appears when you create a
new directory, add the /i command-line option as follows:

xcopy \customer h:\public\address /s /e /k /p /i

You can create a batch program to perform xcopy operations and use the batch if
command to process the exit code if an error occurs. For example, the following
batch program uses replaceable parameters for the xcopy source and destination
parameters:

@echo off
rem COPYIT.BAT transfers all files in all subdirectories of
rem the source drive or directory (%1) to the destination

rem drive or directory (%2)

xcopy %1 %2 /s /e

if errorlevel 4 goto lowmemory
if errorlevel 2 goto abort
if errorlevel 0 goto exit

:lowmemory
echo Insufficient memory to copy files or
echo invalid drive or command-line syntax.
goto exit

:abort
echo You pressed CTRL+C to end the copy operation.
goto exit

:exit

To use this batch program to copy all files in the C:\Prgmcode directory and
its subdirectories to drive B, type:

copyit c:\prgmcode b:

The command interpreter substitutes C:\Prgmcode for %1 and B: for %2, then uses
xcopy with the /e and /s command-line options. If xcopy encounters an error,
the batch program reads the exit code and goes to the label indicated in the
appropriate IF ERRORLEVEL statement, then displays the appropriate message and
exits from the batch program.

Formatting legend
Format Meaning
Italic Information that the user must supply
Bold Elements that the user must type exactly as shown
Ellipsis (...) Parameter that can be repeated several times in a command line
Between brackets ([]) Optional items
Between braces ({}); choices separated by pipe (|). Example: {even|odd} Set of
choices from which the user must choose only one
Courier font Code or program output
--

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Tom Tricep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My OS is win 2000. I have attempted to rename the file, calling it
>AVI, Calling it jpeg. It still will not copy or cut and paste.
>
>I think it may have to do with the files being associated with divx,
>possibly they may be still associated with the divix program although
>there is no indication that divx is running. This is really wierd.
>
>My task manager confirms that no programs are running at the time of
>attempted transfer.

If something is blocking the transfer it would be running, AUTORUNS
will show everything running, and let you disable it.

Run Ubuntu on top of windows, without a virtual machine
www.andlinux.org/