Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > FILE TRANSFER TO 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL EXT HD SNAFU

FILE TRANSFER TO 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL EXT HD SNAFU

Tom Tricep

Good People:

When I attempt to transfer divx files of any size, say 125mb, the
Western Digital HD recipient, a messge pops up and says "drive is
full". It will accept anything else, of any size. AVI's, Jpegs,
anything. I have 850gigs of free space.

Wassup? Why is this?

Thanks to the intelligenicia of the 24 hour help desk in advance for
the answers to this problem.

Tom Tricep

richard

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:00:28 -0800, Tom Tricep <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Good People:
>
>When I attempt to transfer divx files of any size, say 125mb, the
>Western Digital HD recipient, a messge pops up and says "drive is
>full". It will accept anything else, of any size. AVI's, Jpegs,
>anything. I have 850gigs of free space.
>
>Wassup? Why is this?
>
>Thanks to the intelligenicia of the 24 hour help desk in advance for
>the answers to this problem.
>
>Tom Tricep

As with any other drive, you should go through the procedures to make
it work correctly. Formatting and initializing, then partitioning.
What happens if you were to put those files into a folder?
Using folders, you could at least categorize the various styles of
files rather than just blindly placing them on the root drive.
As there is a limit as to what you can put on the root drive. So
perhaps you have reached that limit.

--
"Tell a lie often enough, loud enough, and long enough and people will believe you."
Adolph Hitler

G. Morgan

richard wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:00:28 -0800, Tom Tricep <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Good People:
>>
>>When I attempt to transfer divx files of any size, say 125mb, the
>>Western Digital HD recipient, a messge pops up and says "drive is
>>full". It will accept anything else, of any size. AVI's, Jpegs,
>>anything. I have 850gigs of free space.
>>
>>Wassup? Why is this?
>>
>>Thanks to the intelligenicia of the 24 hour help desk in advance for
>>the answers to this problem.
>>
>>Tom Tricep

>As with any other drive, you should go through the procedures to make
>it work correctly. Formatting and initializing, then partitioning.
>What happens if you were to put those files into a folder?
>Using folders, you could at least categorize the various styles of
>files rather than just blindly placing them on the root drive.

That's nice. Does not answer the question though.

>As there is a limit as to what you can put on the root drive. So
>perhaps you have reached that limit.

Bwahahahahaaha!!!! You really ARE stupid.

--

I kill all Google Group posts, you can too.
Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Tom Tricep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Good People:
>
>When I attempt to transfer divx files of any size, say 125mb, the
>Western Digital HD recipient, a messge pops up and says "drive is
>full". It will accept anything else, of any size. AVI's, Jpegs,
>anything. I have 850gigs of free space.
>
>Wassup? Why is this?

The name? Rename it and see.

Some names are forbidden (Win2000 and up) you can't have a directory
name'd PRN or even a text file name'd PRN.txt.

--

dudefalling
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/dudefalling

G. Morgan

Tom Tricep wrote:

>Good People:
>
>When I attempt to transfer divx files of any size, say 125mb, the
>Western Digital HD recipient, a messge pops up and says "drive is
>full". It will accept anything else, of any size. AVI's, Jpegs,
>anything. I have 850gigs of free space.
>
>Wassup? Why is this?
>
>Thanks to the intelligenicia of the 24 hour help desk in advance for
>the answers to this problem.
>
>Tom Tricep

What O/S are you using Tomicia?

--

I kill all Google Group posts, you can too.
Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org

richard

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 03:11:21 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>richard wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:00:28 -0800, Tom Tricep <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Good People:
>>>
>>>When I attempt to transfer divx files of any size, say 125mb, the
>>>Western Digital HD recipient, a messge pops up and says "drive is
>>>full". It will accept anything else, of any size. AVI's, Jpegs,
>>>anything. I have 850gigs of free space.
>>>
>>>Wassup? Why is this?
>>>
>>>Thanks to the intelligenicia of the 24 hour help desk in advance for
>>>the answers to this problem.
>>>
>>>Tom Tricep

>>As with any other drive, you should go through the procedures to make
>>it work correctly. Formatting and initializing, then partitioning.
>>What happens if you were to put those files into a folder?
>>Using folders, you could at least categorize the various styles of
>>files rather than just blindly placing them on the root drive.

>That's nice. Does not answer the question though.
>
>>As there is a limit as to what you can put on the root drive. So
>>perhaps you have reached that limit.

>Bwahahahahaaha!!!! You really ARE stupid.

Am I?

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...ot+drive+limit

Seems a lot of very knowledgable people have the same idea.
It has a lot to do with the BIOS and what it can handle.

I've been messin around with computers since the mid '70's.
Before windows 3.1 came into existance and the only choice in
languages was basic and dos.

I've been on this forum for 10 years. And the OP's question is
relatively frequent.
But you go ahead and believe what you want. Don't come back here with
a stupid question about how you didn't know the root drive had a limit
and it wouldn't accept your file.

Assuming your current disk is partitioned, as an experiment, begin
you get the same error.
Oh and do be sure to tell us how sluggish your system is to boot with
all those files on it.

--

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:19:28 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Tom Tricep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Good People:
>>
>>When I attempt to transfer divx files of any size, say 125mb, the
>>Western Digital HD recipient, a messge pops up and says "drive is
>>full". It will accept anything else, of any size. AVI's, Jpegs,
>>anything. I have 850gigs of free space.
>>
>>Wassup? Why is this?

>The name? Rename it and see.
>
>Some names are forbidden (Win2000 and up) you can't have a directory
>name'd PRN or even a text file name'd PRN.txt.

Renaming the file won't eradicate the error message.
The disk is "full" because the BIOS says it is.

--
"Tell a lie often enough, loud enough, and long enough and people will believe you."
Adolph Hitler

SgtMinor

Tom Tricep wrote:
> Good People:
>
> When I attempt to transfer divx files of any size, say 125mb, the
> Western Digital HD recipient, a messge pops up and says "drive is
> full". It will accept anything else, of any size. AVI's, Jpegs,
> anything. I have 850gigs of free space.
>
> Wassup? Why is this?
>
> Thanks to the intelligenicia of the 24 hour help desk in advance for
> the answers to this problem.
>
> Tom Tricep

What is your operating system and what method are you using to transfer
these files? Are you moving them or copying them?

If you're not using command line methods you might like Robocopy:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...litySpotlight/

Does Vista have DRM issues with certain file types?

richard

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:51:24 -0500, SgtMinor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tom Tricep wrote:
>> Good People:
>>
>> When I attempt to transfer divx files of any size, say 125mb, the
>> Western Digital HD recipient, a messge pops up and says "drive is
>> full". It will accept anything else, of any size. AVI's, Jpegs,
>> anything. I have 850gigs of free space.
>>
>> Wassup? Why is this?
>>
>> Thanks to the intelligenicia of the 24 hour help desk in advance for
>> the answers to this problem.
>>
>> Tom Tricep

>What is your operating system and what method are you using to transfer
>these files? Are you moving them or copying them?
>
>If you're not using command line methods you might like Robocopy:
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...litySpotlight/
>
>Does Vista have DRM issues with certain file types?

Not vista itself, but windows media player does if you use the "WMA"
format. Or any other audio player for that matter. As M$ has set it up
to detect the license. No license, no play.

--

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:19:28 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Tom Tricep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Good People:
>>>
>>>When I attempt to transfer divx files of any size, say 125mb, the
>>>Western Digital HD recipient, a messge pops up and says "drive is
>>>full". It will accept anything else, of any size. AVI's, Jpegs,
>>>anything. I have 850gigs of free space.
>>>
>>>Wassup? Why is this?

>>The name? Rename it and see.
>>
>>Some names are forbidden (Win2000 and up) you can't have a directory
>>name'd PRN or even a text file name'd PRN.txt.

>Renaming the file won't eradicate the error message.
>The disk is "full" because the BIOS says it is.

Really read and understand the OP's question.

And SgtMinor might be close with vista and it's DRM.