Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Open Office

Open Office

Jack Gillis

I seldom see anything about Open Office these days. Did it go the way of
OS/2 and quietly fade from view?

Christopher Jahn

"Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I seldom see anything about Open Office these days. Did it go
> the way of OS/2 and quietly fade from view?

Hardly - it's bigger and better than ever. I've bought computers
that had it installed.

--
} Christopher Jahn
{ http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that
the taxidermist leaves the skin.
-Mark Twain

philo

"Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I seldom see anything about Open Office these days. Did it go the way of
> OS/2 and quietly fade from view?

Open Office is alive and well

http://www.openoffice.org/

believe it or not, OS/2 is still around too

http://www.ecomstation.com/

Heck even CP/M didn't die yet

http://www.vetusware.com/download/CP...201.1/?id=3834

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I seldom see anything about Open Office these days. Did it go the way of
>OS/2 and quietly fade from view?

OO tends to use a lot of memory. But I use it, and it's a viable
alternative to MS office.
--

Bear Attack - Explicit Photos
http://www.secondose.com/bear-attack/

Evan Platt

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:25:38 -0500, "Jack Gillis"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I seldom see anything about Open Office these days. Did it go the way of
>OS/2 and quietly fade from view?

Gosh, you must have missed half the posts here. Any time someone says
"I have a problem with Microsoft Word", about 20 replies come of "Use
Open Office."

Whiskers

On 2008-02-14, Jack Gillis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I seldom see anything about Open Office these days. Did it go the way of
> OS/2 and quietly fade from view?

OpenOffice is alive and well and being used by people you might not
suspect were so well advised ) <http://www.openoffice.org/>

(OS/2 hasn't gone away either, even if IBM and MS aren't doing anything
with it - <http://www.ecomstation.com/>).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

philo

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2008-02-14, Jack Gillis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I seldom see anything about Open Office these days. Did it go the way

of
> > OS/2 and quietly fade from view?

> OpenOffice is alive and well and being used by people you might not
> suspect were so well advised ) <http://www.openoffice.org/>
>
> (OS/2 hasn't gone away either, even if IBM and MS aren't doing anything
> with it - <http://www.ecomstation.com/>).

Holy cow...your reply looked just like mine (except you missed CP/M) !!G!!

Bob Bob

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:31:32 -0600, Christopher Jahn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I seldom see anything about Open Office these days. Did it go
>> the way of OS/2 and quietly fade from view?

>Hardly - it's bigger and better than ever. I've bought computers
>that had it installed.

....certainly is bigger, that is for sure.

Blinky the Shark

Jack Gillis wrote:

> I seldom see anything about Open Office these days. Did it go the way of
> OS/2 and quietly fade from view?

No.

Do you only hang out in MS newsgroups (this one aside)?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

VanguardLH

"Jack Gillis" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I seldom see anything about Open Office these days. Did it go the
> way of OS/2 and quietly fade from view?

Do you also see lots of discussion regarding the cleaners and
polishers used on acrylic windows on airplanes? Well, unless that is
where you engage your time to be involved in that area then why would
you expect to see lots of news or discussions about it? If you want
to hear about OpenOffice then go engage yourself in the communities
that are focused on it. Perl is used a lot on Windows besides just
UNIX but unless you use it and have an interest in it then you
probably won't hear a lot about Perl, and probably even less about
Python or Ruby. You expect to see lots of Caterpillars or lawn mowers
when roving the local car lots?

OS/2 isn't dead (for usage). Support for it ended 31 Dec 2006 but
then Windows 98 and Windows 2000 Pro are no longer supported, too.
That hardly stops them from being used. As I recall, Windows XP was
slated for end-of-mainstream-support during last year but got a 2-year
reprieve because Vista came out later than Microsoft's normal
development cycle. Again, it depends on what and where you are
involved. Yeah, so what if OS/2 disappeared from the consumer market.
That doesn't mean it died. Nowadays I see it mostly used on a
controller host in a midframe system. If OS/2 were dead, why would
Mozilla develop yet another version of Firefox that runs on OS/2
(http://www.os2world.com/content/view/16986/1/)? SpamPal lost energy
for further development sometime during 2005 but it is still a very
effecting anti-spam program. As for OpenOffice, I see nothing to
indicate that it is dead. Version 2.3 of OpenOffice came out
September 2007 with a 2.3.1 maintenance release in December. Geez,
you demand extremely short schedules for releases to consider a
product not dead. Not all products require weekly or daily updates as
do Microsoft products.

Open your eyes. Just because you didn't bother to go investigate a
product doesn't make it a dead product. Well, yeah, it's dead to YOU,
but then so would any other product that you don't use.

I'm still using MS Office XP (2002). That's because it was a perk
from an employer (well, as a condition of contracting with them). It
will be my last version of Office because I certainly am not going to
fork out money from my own pocket when OpenOffice is available as a
free alternative. The biggest omission in OpenOffice is an e-mail &
newsreader client (and please don't offer suggestions since I've
already trialed most of them; I have 3 pages of deficiencies or
stupidites in Thunderbird alone). The other components of Office have
more features than I will ever use. Not until Outlook 2002 becomes
antiquated without recourse to correct through 3rd party (and free)
software will I then consider abandoning MS Office XP and move on to
OpenOffice and then figure out a replacement email & newsreader (which
might end up being separate programs since the combo programs have
been disappointing).