Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco VPN Client and Virtual machines

Cisco VPN Client and Virtual machines

Bob Mgr

When using Cisco VPN Client (in this case it's version 5 on Vista host) with
a virtual machine guest (XP Pro) , do you install the client within the
virtual machine or not?

I am open to virtual machine products such as Parallels, Vmware or Virtual
PC 2007 , listed in order of preference.

thank you,
-Bob

Trendkill

On Feb 14, 1:32 pm, "Bob Mgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> When using Cisco VPN Client (in this case it's version 5 on Vista host) with
> a virtual machine guest (XP Pro) , do you install the client within the
> virtual machine or not?
>
> I am open to virtual machine products such as Parallels, Vmware or Virtual
> PC 2007 , listed in order of preference.
>
> thank you,
> -Bob

What is the purpose of the vpn? If you do it at the host level, all
guests should be able to use that if they are NATed. If they are not,
I'm not sure how that would work as they technically have separate IPs
bridged through the primary. If your goal is only at the VM instance
level, then I would think either would work, but I would think that
the bridged networking should be more likely since you technically
have a public IP on the outside network.

Howard Beale

Trendkill wrote:
> On Feb 14, 1:32 pm, "Bob Mgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> When using Cisco VPN Client (in this case it's version 5 on Vista host) with
>> a virtual machine guest (XP Pro) , do you install the client within the
>> virtual machine or not?
>>
>> I am open to virtual machine products such as Parallels, Vmware or Virtual
>> PC 2007 , listed in order of preference.
>>
>> thank you,
>> -Bob

> What is the purpose of the vpn? If you do it at the host level, all
> guests should be able to use that if they are NATed. If they are not,
> I'm not sure how that would work as they technically have separate IPs
> bridged through the primary. If your goal is only at the VM instance
> level, then I would think either would work, but I would think that
> the bridged networking should be more likely since you technically
> have a public IP on the outside network.

I think at the host level you'd have to be careful which virtual network
you connected your virtual machine NICs to. With VMWare the default is to
bridge to the host NIC, and I have no good idea how well NATing to the VPN
virtual NIC would do.

Sounds like something to try, though.