Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: Application needs to work in single and multiple webserver environment

Re: Application needs to work in single and multiple webserver environment

bruce barker

inproc sessions won't work on a webfarm.

if you use sqlserver mode, you can schedule (thru sqlagent) a stored proc to
run that deletes old sessions.

"sudha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:030d01c344b8$46177700$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have my search application which displays results based
> on query given by user. I provided pagination for this
> application so that user can navigate through the search
> results. The first time user queries the application, it
> creates an xml file on the webserver and uses this xml
> file to display records whenever user clicks next or prev
> buttons instead of getting the records from the database.
> When the user session times out this xml file gets deleted
> using Session_End event in global.ascx file as I am using
> Session state mode="InProc". The whole application works
> fine if we use single webserver. But, the problem arises
> if the same application needs to run in clustered web
> farm as the user may not be redirected to same server
> where the xml file gets created as he navigates through
> the search results. I also need to use Session state
> mode="SQL Server" to store the session state in clustered
> web farm environment. The session_end event only works
> in "InProc" mode. How do I delete the xml file that gets
> created on the server in multiple webserver environment?
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance

sudha

Thanks bruce. But, Is creating a temporary xml file based
on user session on the webserver in clustered web farm is
a problem?

Natty Gur

Hi,

the xml file wont be accessible from all servers in the webfarm but if
you will save the xml file for the first time on ant server on the farm
it will be available for other request on the same machine.
if you just want to save one copy of the temporary file you could do
what other told you and keep it on state machine or SQL server.

Natty Gur, CTO
Dao2Com Ltd.
28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak
Israel , 51114