Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > standardization allows?

standardization allows?

castironpi@gmail.com

Standardization helps avoid the readability and reliability problems
which arise when many different individuals create their own slightly
varying implementations, each with their own quirks and naming
conventions.

castironpi@gmail.com

On Feb 13, 4:41*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Standardization helps avoid the readability and reliability problems
> which arise when many different individuals create their own slightly
> varying implementations, each with their own quirks and naming
> conventions.

Standardization allows RCA cables, bumpers, and 115V plugs. The Bill
of Rights allows Huckleberry Finn. What is the analogue of the Bill
of Rights for programmers and users, whether of programming languages
or latter-generation software?

Gerardo Herzig

>Standardization allows RCA cables, bumpers, and 115V plugs. The Bill
>of Rights allows Huckleberry Finn. What is the analogue of the Bill
>of Rights for programmers and users, whether of programming languages
>or latter-generation software?

I want that drogues, man

castironpi@gmail.com

On Feb 19, 3:47*pm, Gerardo Herzig <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >Standardization allows RCA cables, bumpers, and 115V plugs. *The Bill
> >of Rights allows Huckleberry Finn. *What is the analogue of the Bill
> >of Rights for programmers and users, whether of programming languages
> >or latter-generation software?

> I want that drogues, man

Magnavox is free to make proprietary connection cable. BNSF is free
to make train car trucks that are not 11' across. Python programmers
are free to do X their way.

The std. lib. has readability and reliability problems. Individuals
created their own slightly varying implementation. It has its own
quirks and naming conventions. This is RCA cable; it goes in.

Paul Rubin

http://gplv3.fsf.org

castironpi@gmail.com

On Feb 19, 4:05*pm, Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> > Standardization allows RCA cables, bumpers, and 115V plugs. *The Bill
> > of Rights allows Huckleberry Finn. *What is the analogue of the Bill
> > of Rights for programmers and users, whether of programming languages
> > or latter-generation software?

> http://gplv3.fsf.org*

What are the words that everyone understands?

Paddy

> Standardization helps avoid the readability and reliability problems
> which arise when many different individuals create their own slightly
> varying implementations, each with their own quirks and naming
> conventions.

Turing test entrant?

- Paddy.
Currently reading "Permutation City" by Greg Egan.

Paddy

> On Feb 19, 3:47 pm, Gerardo Herzig <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > >Standardization allows RCA cables, bumpers, and 115V plugs. The Bill
> > >of Rights allows Huckleberry Finn. What is the analogue of the Bill
> > >of Rights for programmers and users, whether of programming languages
> > >or latter-generation software?

> > I want that drogues, man

> Magnavox is free to make proprietary connection cable. BNSF is free
> to make train car trucks that are not 11' across. Python programmers
> are free to do X their way.
>
> The std. lib. has readability and reliability problems. Individuals
> created their own slightly varying implementation. It has its own
> quirks and naming conventions. This is RCA cable; it goes in.

I don't think a Turing Test program is this good - it's been steered
manually.

Paddy

> On Feb 19, 4:05 pm, Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> > > Standardization allows RCA cables, bumpers, and 115V plugs. The Bill
> > > of Rights allows Huckleberry Finn. What is the analogue of the Bill
> > > of Rights for programmers and users, whether of programming languages
> > > or latter-generation software?

> >http://gplv3.fsf.org

> What are the words that everyone understands?

This seems to be a lazy spurt from a Turing Test program.

Should do better F-

- Paddy.

castironpi@gmail.com

On Feb 19, 9:41*pm, Paddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 10:41 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Standardization helps avoid the readability and reliability problems
> > which arise when many different individuals create their own slightly
> > varying implementations, each with their own quirks and naming
> > conventions.

> Turing test entrant?
>
> - Paddy.
> Currently reading "Permutation City" by Greg Egan.

That's actually from the standard library documentation.
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-itertools.html , paragraph 2,
sentence 2.