Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WPA PSK vs WPA Personal (D-Link products)

WPA PSK vs WPA Personal (D-Link products)

Mike Webb

I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I
installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's (DWL-2200AP's)
can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now I can't connect to
the WLAN and I suspect it's because of the security settings. At present I
have WPA2 Personal on the PA's and wireless router. Which setting on the
router and AP's will be compatible with WPA PSK?

--
Mike Webb
Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Assuming you use XP, Microsoft has hotfix that may fix the problem.

Many Wireless issues can be fixed by hotfixCase 2: You can receive strong
wireless signal but not connection. Resolution: Downtown this hotfix:
Description of the Wireless Client Update for Windows ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/wireless/wirelesshotfix.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Mike Webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I
> installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's (DWL-2200AP's)
> can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now I can't connect
> to the WLAN and I suspect it's because of the security settings. At
> present I have WPA2 Personal on the PA's and wireless router. Which
> setting on the router and AP's will be compatible with WPA PSK?
>
> --
> Mike Webb
> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

Mike Webb

Outstanding, thanks!

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Assuming you use XP, Microsoft has hotfix that may fix the problem.
>
> Many Wireless issues can be fixed by hotfixCase 2: You can receive strong
> wireless signal but not connection. Resolution: Downtown this hotfix:
> Description of the Wireless Client Update for Windows ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/wireless/wirelesshotfix.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Mike Webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I
>> installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's
>> (DWL-2200AP's) can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now I
>> can't connect to the WLAN and I suspect it's because of the security
>> settings. At present I have WPA2 Personal on the PA's and wireless
>> router. Which setting on the router and AP's will be compatible with WPA
>> PSK?
>>
>> --
>> Mike Webb
>> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
>> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

John

Mike Webb wrote:
> Outstanding, thanks!
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Assuming you use XP, Microsoft has hotfix that may fix the problem.
>>
>> Many Wireless issues can be fixed by hotfixCase 2: You can receive strong
>> wireless signal but not connection. Resolution: Downtown this hotfix:
>> Description of the Wireless Client Update for Windows ...
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/wireless/wirelesshotfix.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Mike Webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I
>>> installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's
>>> (DWL-2200AP's) can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now I
>>> can't connect to the WLAN and I suspect it's because of the security
>>> settings. At present I have WPA2 Personal on the PA's and wireless
>>> router. Which setting on the router and AP's will be compatible with WPA
>>> PSK?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Webb
>>> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
>>> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

This is a 331MB download right?

John.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
Setting Wireless Security - <http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html> >
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Mike Webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I
> installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's (DWL-2200AP's)
> can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now I can't connect
> to the WLAN and I suspect it's because of the security settings. At
> present I have WPA2 Personal on the PA's and wireless router. Which
> setting on the router and AP's will be compatible with WPA PSK?
>
> --
> Mike Webb
> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Thank you for the update.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"Mike Webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Outstanding, thanks!
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Assuming you use XP, Microsoft has hotfix that may fix the problem.
>>
>> Many Wireless issues can be fixed by hotfixCase 2: You can receive strong
>> wireless signal but not connection. Resolution: Downtown this hotfix:
>> Description of the Wireless Client Update for Windows ...
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/wireless/wirelesshotfix.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Mike Webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I
>>> installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's
>>> (DWL-2200AP's) can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now
>>> I can't connect to the WLAN and I suspect it's because of the security
>>> settings. At present I have WPA2 Personal on the PA's and wireless
>>> router. Which setting on the router and AP's will be compatible with
>>> WPA PSK?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Webb
>>> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
>>> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

Mike Webb

I didn't know that, thanks.
news:%23SDO%(E-Mail Removed)...