Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

Vic Russell

Hi,

I am having great trouble getting Wireless N going with my Vista PC
(Ultimate). My Dell XPS has a Linksys WUSB300N USB adapter and I am trying
to connect it to my Netgear Wireless N router (a WNR834Bv2). My old XP
machine connected to it very well with a Netgear WN121T. However, trying to
get the Netgear USB adapter (the WN121T) to install crashed (well slowed
down to a crawl and made it unusable) so many times needing a restore point
restore that I gave up in a huff and purchased the Linksys adapter. Each is
meant to have Vista drivers and these have been duely installed.

The Linksys adapter does not crash the machine but only very occasionally
works with the Netgear router. Straight after an install of the drivers it
will connect and reports "Local and Internet" connection. Sometimes in this
state (but not always) I can actually get onto google. I have to be quick
though as it soon drops back to reporting local only and droping all
internet access. In the local only state I can't get onto the internal
Netgear website on the router. I am using WEP 128bit and this seems to be
accepted OK but interestingly I have no luck with no security at all
(testing only of course).

I have been onto both Netgear and Linksys but in the end they both point me
back to the other. Although my XP laptop (wireless g) workd well with the
Netgear router my feeling is that the Netgear router is at fault here. I
have updated the firmware to the latest recommended by Netgear. Everything
is up to date including Vista. Luckily I have a cable connection to the
router but this involves a very inconvenient cable route and the lack of a
door into the kitchen being able to be closed. Anyway I can get onto the net
with the cable.

Now and again the Vista machine will not shut down after I have been fidling
about with drivers and settings. When the PC freezes in this way I have to
turn it off with the good old five seconds on the power button. This has an
effect on my RAID 1 array which then decides to re-build on power up causing
more delays.

Whilst on a support call with Linksys last night my Bluetooth mouse (Dell)
packed up and I had to search out a USB mouse to be able to carry on with
the support guys instructions.

I'm not having a lot of luck! Before I got into all this one of my new shiny
Vista Dell XPS 's disks got faulty causing RAID rebuilds all over the shop.
These things happen I know but I am being particularly unlucky. Of course
this all happened just after I had spent a few days installing all the
software from my old XP machine and getting all the data across. In the end
Dell sent me two new disks (500 Mb) and I actually got them progressively
synched so that I now have the full setup on the two new disks (phew!). I
mention all this in the hope that someone will take pity on me and help me
with my wireless woes.

(I'm not really moaning about Dell. We have a load of Dell machines at work
and they all work great most of the time. When we do need support from Dell
they are great.)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vic

Barb Bowman

see if http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/932134 applies.
run the test and report any failures. to unbind IPv6 see
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...windows-vista/

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Vic Russell

Hi,

Thanks for responding Barb.

All tests passed except the "UPnP Support Test". I carried out these with
the wired connection.

I will unbind IPv6 later this evening'

Fingers crossed! Is there a disadvantage to having your IPv6 unbound (as it
were)?

Vic

"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>shiny
>>Vista Dell XPS 's disks got faulty causing RAID rebuilds all over the
>>shop.
>>These things happen I know but I am being particularly unlucky. Of course
>>this all happened just after I had spent a few days installing all the
>>software from my old XP machine and getting all the data across. In the
>>end
>>Dell sent me two new disks (500 Mb) and I actually got them progressively
>>synched so that I now have the full setup on the two new disks (phew!). I
>>mention all this in the hope that someone will take pity on me and help me
>>with my wireless woes.
>>
>>(I'm not really moaning about Dell. We have a load of Dell machines at
>>work
>>and they all work great most of the time. When we do need support from

Barb Bowman

no disadvantage..

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:11:22 -0000, "Vic Russell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>>>shiny
>>>Vista Dell XPS 's disks got faulty causing RAID rebuilds all over the
>>>shop.
>>>These things happen I know but I am being particularly unlucky. Of course
>>>this all happened just after I had spent a few days installing all the
>>>software from my old XP machine and getting all the data across. In the
>>>end
>>>Dell sent me two new disks (500 Mb) and I actually got them progressively
>>>synched so that I now have the full setup on the two new disks (phew!). I
>>>mention all this in the hope that someone will take pity on me and help me
>>>with my wireless woes.
>>>
>>>(I'm not really moaning about Dell. We have a load of Dell machines at
>>>work
>>>and they all work great most of the time. When we do need support from

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Vic Russell

Hi again,

I did the IP6 unbinding and re-booted. It all worked when it came up again
and I was happy! The machine indicated that there were some Vista updates so
I downloaded and installed them - quite a few MB. However, the link stopped
working again. I was hoping it was because the updates were going on. When
the updates were finished I rebooted as requested and all was well when it
came up again. Internet working fine and I was happy! I left the machine to
have my dinner but when I came back the machine was in local only again.
Itried to ping the router address (192.168.1.1) but got "Destination host
unreachable" I am not happy now!

I then turned off the firewall but that had no effect.

Heeeeeelp!

>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
>>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman

go into device manager and make sure that there is NO checkmark in
the properties of the NIC for allowing power to be turned off to
save... etc.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:39:18 -0000, "Vic Russell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi again,
>
>I did the IP6 unbinding and re-booted. It all worked when it came up again
>and I was happy! The machine indicated that there were some Vista updates so
>I downloaded and installed them - quite a few MB. However, the link stopped
>working again. I was hoping it was because the updates were going on. When
>the updates were finished I rebooted as requested and all was well when it
>came up again. Internet working fine and I was happy! I left the machine to
>have my dinner but when I came back the machine was in local only again.
>Itried to ping the router address (192.168.1.1) but got "Destination host
>unreachable" I am not happy now!
>
>I then turned off the firewall but that had no effect.
>
>Heeeeeelp!
>
>Vic
>
>"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> no disadvantage..
>>
>> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:11:22 -0000, "Vic Russell"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Thanks for responding Barb.
>>>
>>>All tests passed except the "UPnP Support Test". I carried out these with
>>>the wired connection.
>>>
>>>I will unbind IPv6 later this evening'
>>>
>>>Fingers crossed! Is there a disadvantage to having your IPv6 unbound (as
>>>it
>>>were)?
>>>
>>>Vic
>>>
>>>"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Vic Russell

Hi Barb,

I did that but after around two minutes the device stopped working and the
system went back to local only again.

Any othe ideas?

Vic
"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> go into device manager and make sure that there is NO checkmark in
> the properties of the NIC for allowing power to be turned off to
> save... etc.
>
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:39:18 -0000, "Vic Russell"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi again,
>>
>>I did the IP6 unbinding and re-booted. It all worked when it came up again
>>and I was happy! The machine indicated that there were some Vista updates
>>so
>>I downloaded and installed them - quite a few MB. However, the link
>>stopped
>>working again. I was hoping it was because the updates were going on. When
>>the updates were finished I rebooted as requested and all was well when it
>>came up again. Internet working fine and I was happy! I left the machine
>>have my dinner but when I came back the machine was in local only again.
>>Itried to ping the router address (192.168.1.1) but got "Destination host
>>unreachable" I am not happy now!
>>
>>I then turned off the firewall but that had no effect.
>>
>>Heeeeeelp!
>>
>>Vic
>>
>>"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> no disadvantage..

>>> --
>>>
>>> Barb Bowman
>>> MS-MVP
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
>>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman

Can you try a different router ?

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:26:10 -0000, "Vic Russell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Barb,
>
>I did that but after around two minutes the device stopped working and the
>system went back to local only again.
>
>Any othe ideas?
>
>Vic
>"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> go into device manager and make sure that there is NO checkmark in
>> the properties of the NIC for allowing power to be turned off to
>> save... etc.
>>
>> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:39:18 -0000, "Vic Russell"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi again,
>>>
>>>I did the IP6 unbinding and re-booted. It all worked when it came up again
>>>and I was happy! The machine indicated that there were some Vista updates
>>>so
>>>I downloaded and installed them - quite a few MB. However, the link
>>>stopped
>>>working again. I was hoping it was because the updates were going on. When
>>>the updates were finished I rebooted as requested and all was well when it
>>>came up again. Internet working fine and I was happy! I left the machine
>>>have my dinner but when I came back the machine was in local only again.
>>>Itried to ping the router address (192.168.1.1) but got "Destination host
>>>unreachable" I am not happy now!
>>>
>>>I then turned off the firewall but that had no effect.
>>>
>>>Heeeeeelp!
>>>
>>>Vic
>>>
>>>"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Vic Russell

I have now tried with another router ( an old Belkin 11g type). I
re-installed the driver for the Linksys adapter and it all started to work.
It was still working after 10 minutes and I thought I was getting somewhere.
However, I then re-booted and when the system came back up it was Local only
again. So I suppose it is not the Netgear router fully to blame. I had
another go at getting the Netgear adapter to work which was totally
fruitless. I chose to let the Netgear device configure the link and it did
indeed connect for a couple of seconds.

Whenever I get the problem (wee all the time if either of the Wireless USB
adapters are plugged in) then closing down windows takes an age. Something
is seriously wrong here! Looking through all the forums and b=news groups it
would seem that this is a really common problem but no-one has a solution.
How can this be? What has Microsoft have to say about this? Ican't find
anything useful.

Do you have any more info on this Barb?

Kind regards,

Vic

"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can you try a different router ?
>
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:26:10 -0000, "Vic Russell"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi Barb,
>>
>>I did that but after around two minutes the device stopped working and the
>>system went back to local only again.
>>
>>Any othe ideas?
>>
>>Vic
>>"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> go into device manager and make sure that there is NO checkmark in
>>> the properties of the NIC for allowing power to be turned off to
>>> save... etc.

>>> --
>>>
>>> Barb Bowman
>>> MS-MVP
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
>>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Vic Russell

Further news! I hope I am not speaking too soon but all seems to be OK now;
even after a couple of reboots. I'm also back on the NetGear Wireless N
router so fingers crossed!!!

I picked up somewhere in a news group how someone had turned off both of the
"Link-Layer Topology Discovery settings. I'm sorry not to be able to
attribute this bit of a nugget (for me anyway) but I just can't find where I
read it now. Anyway, that along with turning off IP6 (all in the adapters
properties) would appear to have done it for me.

Thanks for all your help Barb. This has been driving me crazy and I
appreciate your support. Hopefully I'm not going to be too inconvenienced by
having these three settings disabled. Roll-on Vista SP1. You don't happen to
know when that will be available do you?

Kind regards and many many thanks.

Vic
PS Pompey for the FA Cup

news:(E-Mail Removed)...