Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

Barb Bowman

Interesting that LLTD would be causing this. You won't be able to
use the Network Map in Vista, but --

SP1 - mid March for most people
see
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...customers.aspx

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:33:28 -0000, "Vic Russell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Further news! I hope I am not speaking too soon but all seems to be OK now;
>even after a couple of reboots. I'm also back on the NetGear Wireless N
>router so fingers crossed!!!
>
>I picked up somewhere in a news group how someone had turned off both of the
>"Link-Layer Topology Discovery settings. I'm sorry not to be able to
>attribute this bit of a nugget (for me anyway) but I just can't find where I
>read it now. Anyway, that along with turning off IP6 (all in the adapters
>properties) would appear to have done it for me.
>
>Thanks for all your help Barb. This has been driving me crazy and I
>appreciate your support. Hopefully I'm not going to be too inconvenienced by
>having these three settings disabled. Roll-on Vista SP1. You don't happen to
>know when that will be available do you?
>
>Kind regards and many many thanks.
>
>Vic
>PS Pompey for the FA Cup
>
>"Vic Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have now tried with another router ( an old Belkin 11g type). I
>>re-installed the driver for the Linksys adapter and it all started to work.
>>It was still working after 10 minutes and I thought I was getting
>>somewhere. However, I then re-booted and when the system came back up it
>>was Local only again. So I suppose it is not the Netgear router fully to
>>blame. I had another go at getting the Netgear adapter to work which was
>>totally fruitless. I chose to let the Netgear device configure the link and
>>it did indeed connect for a couple of seconds.
>>
>> Whenever I get the problem (wee all the time if either of the Wireless USB
>> adapters are plugged in) then closing down windows takes an age. Something
>> is seriously wrong here! Looking through all the forums and b=news groups
>> it would seem that this is a really common problem but no-one has a
>> solution. How can this be? What has Microsoft have to say about this?
>> Ican't find anything useful.
>>
>> Do you have any more info on this Barb?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Vic
>>
>> "Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Can you try a different router ?

>>> --
>>>
>>> Barb Bowman
>>> MS-MVP
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
>>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Vic Russell

Thanks Barb. It's all still going although a little lumpy - technical term
for pauses before loading up something really fast. Still that's another
story. Hopefully SP1 will improve things.

> [...]

>>>totally fruitless. I chose to let the Netgear device configure the link
>>>and
>>>it did indeed connect for a couple of seconds.
>>>
>>> Whenever I get the problem (wee all the time if either of the Wireless
>>> USB
>>> adapters are plugged in) then closing down windows takes an age.
>>> Something
>>> is seriously wrong here! Looking through all the forums and b=news
>>> groups
>>> it would seem that this is a really common problem but no-one has a
>>> solution. How can this be? What has Microsoft have to say about this?
>>> Ican't find anything useful.
>>>
>>> Do you have any more info on this Barb?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Vic
>>>
>>> "Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Vic Russell

SP1 installed and all still looks good. I have been able to put the LLTD
stuff back but not the IP6. Sometimes the link shows Local Only but seems to
spring back to life as soon as it is needed. Is this expected?

Vic

"Vic Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HJ2uj.135$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Barb. It's all still going although a little lumpy - technical term
> for pauses before loading up something really fast. Still that's another
> story. Hopefully SP1 will improve things.
>
> Regards, Vic.
>
> "Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Interesting that LLTD would be causing this. You won't be able to
>> use the Network Map in Vista, but --
>>
>> SP1 - mid March for most people
>> see
>> http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...customers.aspx
>>
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:33:28 -0000, "Vic Russell"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Further news! I hope I am not speaking too soon but all seems to be OK
>>>now;
>>>even after a couple of reboots. I'm also back on the NetGear Wireless N
>>>router so fingers crossed!!!
>>>
>>>I picked up somewhere in a news group how someone had turned off both of
>>>the
>>>"Link-Layer Topology Discovery settings. I'm sorry not to be able to
>>>attribute this bit of a nugget (for me anyway) but I just can't find
>>>where I
>>>read it now. Anyway, that along with turning off IP6 (all in the adapters
>>>properties) would appear to have done it for me.
>>>
>>>Thanks for all your help Barb. This has been driving me crazy and I
>>>appreciate your support. Hopefully I'm not going to be too inconvenienced
>>>by
>>>having these three settings disabled. Roll-on Vista SP1. You don't happen
>>>know when that will be available do you?
>>>
>>>Kind regards and many many thanks.
>>>
>>>Vic
>>>PS Pompey for the FA Cup
>>>
>>>"Vic Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman

a lot depends upon the NIC and drivers and the negotiation with the
router as well as power management settings.