Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Best Buy Recommends Blu-Ray Over HD DVD

Best Buy Recommends Blu-Ray Over HD DVD

Tarkus

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...3308067742.htm

Best Buy Plans to 'Prominently Showcase' Sony's Blu-Ray Format Instead
of Toshiba's HD DVD
February 11, 2008: 04:24 PM EST

NEW YORK (Associated Press) - In another sign the high-definition DVD
race nearing the end, electronics retailer Best Buy Co. said Monday it
will "prominently showcase" Blu-ray hardware and software products
beginning in early March.

The electronics retailer did say it will continue to carry an assortment
of Toshiba Corp.'s HD DVD products for consumers who want to buy them,
but it will "prominently showcase" Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray format.

Earlier Monday, online movie rental company Netflix said it is switching
exclusively to Blu-ray as its high-definition format.

Toshiba and Sony have been vying to set the standard for high-definition
DVDs for several years, but the race is tilting toward Sony.

Walt Disney Co., Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s Twentieth
Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer have endorsed Blu-ray. Paramount and
Universal Studios publish their high-definition DVDs in Toshiba's HD DVD
format. Many consumers have held off on buying a next-generation DVD
player until the dominant format is decided.

Best Buy's shares rose 67 cents to $47.37. American Depositary Shares of
Sony rose 51 cents to $43.50.

Steven

I would say they have been doing this for sometime now

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...3308067742.htm
>
> Best Buy Plans to 'Prominently Showcase' Sony's Blu-Ray Format Instead of
> Toshiba's HD DVD
> February 11, 2008: 04:24 PM EST
>
> NEW YORK (Associated Press) - In another sign the high-definition DVD race
> nearing the end, electronics retailer Best Buy Co. said Monday it will
> "prominently showcase" Blu-ray hardware and software products beginning in
> early March.
>
> The electronics retailer did say it will continue to carry an assortment
> of Toshiba Corp.'s HD DVD products for consumers who want to buy them, but
> it will "prominently showcase" Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray format.
>
> Earlier Monday, online movie rental company Netflix said it is switching
> exclusively to Blu-ray as its high-definition format.
>
> Toshiba and Sony have been vying to set the standard for high-definition
> DVDs for several years, but the race is tilting toward Sony.
>
> Walt Disney Co., Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s Twentieth
> Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer have endorsed Blu-ray. Paramount and
> Universal Studios publish their high-definition DVDs in Toshiba's HD DVD
> format. Many consumers have held off on buying a next-generation DVD
> player until the dominant format is decided.
>
> Best Buy's shares rose 67 cents to $47.37. American Depositary Shares of
> Sony rose 51 cents to $43.50.

Alpha

"Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Bf4sj.11$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would say they have been doing this for sometime now

Yes, and with disastrous results. Although there is now one format,
everyone I know understands that Blu Ray is a faulty product.

Tarkus

Alpha wrote:
> "Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Bf4sj.11$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I would say they have been doing this for sometime now

> Yes, and with disastrous results. Although there is now one format,
> everyone I know understands that Blu Ray is a faulty product.

Even Nurse Ratched?

Tow

People really trust Bestbuy? That's news to me.

usenet

Best buy like all retailers is going to recommend whatever costs more,thats
how they make their $,im sure not buying the argument thats its "clearly" a
better format cuz we all know thats bs

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...3308067742.htm
>
> Best Buy Plans to 'Prominently Showcase' Sony's Blu-Ray Format Instead of
> Toshiba's HD DVD
> February 11, 2008: 04:24 PM EST
>
> NEW YORK (Associated Press) - In another sign the high-definition DVD race
> nearing the end, electronics retailer Best Buy Co. said Monday it will
> "prominently showcase" Blu-ray hardware and software products beginning in
> early March.
>
> The electronics retailer did say it will continue to carry an assortment
> of Toshiba Corp.'s HD DVD products for consumers who want to buy them, but
> it will "prominently showcase" Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray format.
>
> Earlier Monday, online movie rental company Netflix said it is switching
> exclusively to Blu-ray as its high-definition format.
>
> Toshiba and Sony have been vying to set the standard for high-definition
> DVDs for several years, but the race is tilting toward Sony.
>
> Walt Disney Co., Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s Twentieth
> Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer have endorsed Blu-ray. Paramount and
> Universal Studios publish their high-definition DVDs in Toshiba's HD DVD
> format. Many consumers have held off on buying a next-generation DVD
> player until the dominant format is decided.
>
> Best Buy's shares rose 67 cents to $47.37. American Depositary Shares of
> Sony rose 51 cents to $43.50.

grant kinsley

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:05:52 -0800, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:Bf4sj.11$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I would say they have been doing this for sometime now

>Yes, and with disastrous results. Although there is now one format,
>everyone I know understands that Blu Ray is a faulty product.

So you have a pretty small circle of associates.

Tarkus

Tow wrote:
> People really trust Bestbuy? That's news to me.

They obviously trust them enough to shop there. It's the biggest chain
of its kind in the country.