Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XML Alternatives

XML Alternatives

charles.debon@yahoo.com

XML was designed for text documents and publishing. If you are
considering XML for general data (serialization, configuration etc.) I
would like to invite you to a page about xml alternatives:

http://www.geocities.com/charles.debon/

Any comments are invited.

Joseph Kesselman

> XML was designed for text documents and publishing.

Not so. SGML was, certainly. But XML, especially modern XML with schemas
and tools such as XQuery, was very definitely designed to be a general
data-markup language.

Whether you think it's a good choice for that purpose is a different
question. I consider it a very good choise as a published interchange
format. Whether it's the right choice for application-internal purposes
is a nuanced question, in part because there's the question of whether
you're talking specifically about XML syntax or the XML Infoset data
model it represents, and in part because the application's own needs
become relevant.

charles.debon@yahoo.com

> Not so. SGML was, certainly. But XML, especially modern XML with schemas
> and tools such as XQuery, was very definitely designed to be a general
> data-markup language. [...]

I know it is disputable. I only want to make people know that there
are some alternatives, which can be better at least at SOME
circumstances.

usenet@tech-know-ware.com

On 11 Feb, 20:33, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> XML was designed for text documents and publishing. If you are
> considering XML for general data (serialization, configuration etc.) I
> would like to invite you to a page about xml alternatives:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/charles.debon/
>
> Any comments are invited.

FWIW - I developed a data language called Lumas. You can find out
more about it at:

http://lumas.org

Encoded messages look a bit similar to Harpoon, although Lumas lists
are of the form:

foo = 1,2,3,4,5

It also has a C-like message definition langauge (or schema definition
language if you prefer), which I think most other alternatives are
currently missing.

Regards,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic
Visit http://www.codalogic.com/lmx/ for XML C++ data binding

Joseph Kesselman

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I know it is disputable. I only want to make people know that there
> are some alternatives, which can be better at least at SOME
> circumstances.

Folks will take you more seriously if you don't start out with a
"disputable" statement.

edday2006@gmail.com

> XML was designed for text documents and publishing. If you are
> considering XML for general data (serialization, configuration etc.) I
> would like to invite you to a page about xml alternatives:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/charles.debon/
>
> Any comments are invited.

Why is ASN.1 not on your list?

http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/

Ed Day
Objective Systems, Inc.

charles.debon@yahoo.com

On 12 Lut, 12:20, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> FWIW - I developed a data language called Lumas. You can find out
> more about it at:
> http://lumas.org

I find it interesting and added it to the list.
I will update the "charateristics" in several days or earlier
if you send me a text I can insert there.
Thank you for information.

--
Charles Debon

charles.debon@yahoo.com

On 12 Lut, 16:25, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Why is ASN.1 not on your list?
>
> http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/

After spending 15 minutes on the webpage I couldn't find any sample.
Is it really a text-based data language or only a language for
protocol
specification? I will have a deeper look later and will consider
adding
it to my list, but so far I haven't been convinced that this is one of
languages my page is about. Tell me if I am wrong.

--
Charles Debon

usenet@tech-know-ware.com

On 13 Feb, 08:34, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 12 Lut, 12:20, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > FWIW - I developed a data language called Lumas. *You can find out
> > more about it at:
> > * *http://lumas.org

> I find it interesting and added it to the list.
> I will update the "charateristics" in several days or earlier
> if you send me a text I can insert there.
> Thank you for information.

Thanks.

In terms of Characteristics, something like:

"Tree structured data in a compact text encoding, that has a message
specification language that can be used to check message validity."

It does duplicate bits of the other text, so feel free to edit or
ignore the suggestion as you see fit. In fact, I would be interested
to see how you summarize it

HTH,

On Feb 13, 3:37 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 12 Lut, 16:25, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Why is ASN.1 not on your list?

> >http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/

> After spending 15 minutes on the webpage I couldn't find any sample.
> Is it really a text-based data language or only a language for
> protocol
> specification? I will have a deeper look later and will consider
> adding
> it to my list, but so far I haven't been convinced that this is one of
> languages my page is about. Tell me if I am wrong.
>
> --
> Charles Debon

It is the equivalent of XML schema in the XML world. Most uses are
for the creation of binary messages, but XML documents can be created
based on the schema as well. Your criteria above does not state that
the alternative has to be text-based. You mention an alternative for
serialization of data which is what this describes, albeit in binary
form (which some people think is a good thing).

Ed

BGP alternatives? SP Cisco 3 09-08-2009 02:32 AM
XML Alternatives charles.debon@yahoo.com C++ 8 02-13-2008 08:14 AM
Alternatives to xml-stylesheet procssing instructions Jon XML 3 02-05-2008 12:02 PM
Is XML Spy good - and are there cheaper alternatives? daz_oldham XML 18 07-12-2006 10:07 AM