Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Adding old Hard drive as slave on new system, Scan first throughNetwork?

Adding old Hard drive as slave on new system, Scan first throughNetwork?

lbbss

I bought a new computer and will add the old hard drive as slave on
the new system. I have had viruses in the past. And I suspect I
could have a virus still on my hard drive that is not detected. How
do I make sure it is totally clean before adding it to my new
system? I have access to it by way of a network right now and am
scanning it through the network. I found so far one trojan, and
still scanning. Any ideas?

joevan

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:41:45 -0800 (PST), lbbss <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I bought a new computer and will add the old hard drive as slave on
>the new system. I have had viruses in the past. And I suspect I
>could have a virus still on my hard drive that is not detected. How
>do I make sure it is totally clean before adding it to my new
>system? I have access to it by way of a network right now and am
>scanning it through the network. I found so far one trojan, and
>still scanning. Any ideas?

Get Kaspersky and scan away. I believe they have a trial period if you
don't have the cash to pay for it.

lbbss

That is not the problem. I have Norton on my old computer, But I know
sometimes if you have been infected its hard to clean up your
system. I suspect there might be a problem. I can't select any
scan locations from Norton anymore. But the schedule scans still
operate fine. Its proof enough that its compromised, since I found
now 2 viruses and one Trojan, by scanning through the network. tx

> Get Kaspersky and scan away. I believe they have a trial period if you
> don't have the cash to pay for it.

sdlomi2

"lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is not the problem. I have Norton on my old computer, But I know
> sometimes if you have been infected its hard to clean up your
> system. I suspect there might be a problem. I can't select any
> scan locations from Norton anymore. But the schedule scans still
> operate fine. Its proof enough that its compromised, since I found
> now 2 viruses and one Trojan, by scanning through the network. tx
>
>> Get Kaspersky and scan away. I believe they have a trial period if you
>> don't have the cash to pay for it.

Hi, lbbss. Have you ever heard it said, "I'd about as soon have the
viruses (virii?) as to have Norton on my computer"? ...may be a tad of
truth beneath that irony. s

dadiOH

lbbss wrote:
> I bought a new computer and will add the old hard drive as slave on
> the new system. I have had viruses in the past. And I suspect I
> could have a virus still on my hard drive that is not detected.
> How do I make sure it is totally clean before adding it to my new
> system? I have access to it by way of a network right now and am
> scanning it through the network. I found so far one trojan, and
> still scanning. Any ideas?

Format the old drive.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Plato

lbbss wrote:

> I bought a new computer and will add the old hard drive as slave on
> the new system. I have had viruses in the past. And I suspect I
> could have a virus still on my hard drive that is not detected. How

A virus on a second drive can phark your primary drive in about a
second.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/