Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > other than pragma

other than pragma

Kenny McCormack

In article <foo54f$m1t$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Walter Roberson <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
>In article <foo46u$2vi7$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>J. J. Farrell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> is there any compiler directive that will enforce optimizations?

>>Probably; they'll be specified in your compiler documentation.

>In common English, "probably" would imply "more likely than not".
>So far in this thread, only one compiler (icc) has been identified
>specifically as having such pragmas. Can you identify other specific

Therefore, the correct answer is more than "probably". It is certainly.

The question being:
>>> is there any compiler directive that will enforce optimizations?

And the answer is: Yes, there is one. In icc. There may be others.

Randy Howard

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:33:19 -0600, Walter Roberson wrote
(in article <foo54f$m1t$(E-Mail Removed)>):

> In article <foo46u$2vi7$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> J. J. Farrell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> is there any compiler directive that will enforce optimizations?

>> Probably; they'll be specified in your compiler documentation.

> In common English, "probably" would imply "more likely than not".
> So far in this thread, only one compiler (icc) has been identified
> specifically as having such pragmas. Can you identify other specific
> compilers in wide use that support these kind of pragmas -- or should
> your "probably" have been "possibly" ?

I think metrowerks CodeWarrior was also mentioned upthread. There are
a lot of variants of Codewarrior for various platforms, including a lot
of embedded ones, with various optimization pragmas. See also:

<http://docs.hp.com/en/B3901-90017/ch03s04.html>

<http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-
bin/getdoc.cgi?coll=0650&db=bks&fname=/SGI_Developer/Pragmas/ch08.html>
<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa289157(vs.71).aspx>

<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235601.aspx>

<http://developer.apple.com/documenta...operTools/gcc-
4.0.1/gcc/Darwin-Pragmas.html>

<http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ex.jsp?topic=/
com.ibm.xlcpp8a.doc/compiler/ref/rnpgoptn.htm>

< http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/czos/features/czosv1r5.html>
<http://www.csc.fi/english/pages/murs...lopment/optimi
zation>

<http://www.cc65.org/doc/cc65-7.html>

<http://www.pdc.kth.se/doc/pgi/4.1/pgiws_ug/pgiug_10.htm#Heading121>

<http://www.keil.com/support/man/docs/armcc/armcc_babdidhg.htm>

<http://www.htsoft.com/products/updat...?pname=8051%20

That should be sufficient to put paid to this line of argument. Not
all the world is gcc. In fact, not even gcc is, on some architectures.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)