Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > where's the network key?

where's the network key?

=?Utf-8?B?d2V5d2FsbGFjZQ==?=

I"m trying to add a laptop to my home linksys wireless network. Wizard asks
me for the network key. Where do I find it?

BobC

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:15:04 -0800, weywallace wrote:

> I"m trying to add a laptop to my home linksys wireless network. Wizard asks
> me for the network key. Where do I find it?

If you have not already created it, you make it up. All wireless devices on
your network will need the same key. Read your router manual for details.
You may want to create and test your wireless network before creating the
key.

Malke

BobC wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:15:04 -0800, weywallace wrote:
>
>> I"m trying to add a laptop to my home linksys wireless network.
>> Wizard asks
>> me for the network key. Where do I find it?

> If you have not already created it, you make it up. All wireless
> devices on your network will need the same key. Read your router
> manual for details. You may want to create and test your wireless
> network before creating the key.

Just to fill in some details to BobC's excellent advice:

Weywallace, you need to properly configure your Linksys. To get to its
configuration, from a wired computer open your browser and enter in the
addressbar: http://192.168.1.1 [enter]

This will bring you to the Linksys configuration settings. Refer to the
manual for the default username and password. It might be a blank for
the username and "Admin" for the password, but you should check. Once
you are in, go to the Wireless settings. Change the SSID from the
default "Linksys" to something unique. Set the encryption. To start
with, use WEP (if all works and your hardware supports it, WPA is
better and you should change to that method). If there is a passphrase
generator, enter something in there and generate the key. The key is
what will get entered into the laptop's wireless settings. You will not
use the passphrase again. Here are some links to help you:

Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2

Linksys networking information
http://www.linksys.com/edu/

Wireless - Basic Configuration -