Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 3.5 gigs of RAM problem, yet I AM running x64?????

3.5 gigs of RAM problem, yet I AM running x64?????

RyanK

Hey, very confused here, mostly because I don't think this always happened
but, I have vista ultimate x64 installed yet out of my 4 gigs of RAM only 3.5
appear. Is there a way around this, I know from what I have ready that this
is strange to say the least. Vista x64 is designed to work with up to 8 gigs
of RAM.

John Fullbright

Talk to your hardware vendor and see if they have any driver updates. The
"missing RAM" is the "window" mapped in memory used by PCIExpress cards.

"RyanK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey, very confused here, mostly because I don't think this always happened
> but, I have vista ultimate x64 installed yet out of my 4 gigs of RAM only
> 3.5
> appear. Is there a way around this, I know from what I have ready that
> this
> is strange to say the least. Vista x64 is designed to work with up to 8
> gigs
> of RAM.

Tony Sperling

It may not be so strange - a system crash and reboot can reset the BIOS to
the factory defaults and this may not enable the memory remap feature that
most BIOS's have provided for.

Check your BIOS!

On the other hand, your BIOS could be one of those that are having a problem
with this, and you should check if there is an update available that will
fix this.

Tony. . .

"RyanK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey, very confused here, mostly because I don't think this always happened
> but, I have vista ultimate x64 installed yet out of my 4 gigs of RAM only
> 3.5
> appear. Is there a way around this, I know from what I have ready that
> this
> is strange to say the least. Vista x64 is designed to work with up to 8
> gigs
> of RAM.

RyanK

Well I updated the BIOS to the absolute latest version with no problems.;
The BIOS recognizes all four gigs of RAM of course. If it helps these are
the specifications on my computer:

AMD 6000+ 3.0ghz, ASUS M2N23 SLI Deluxe/Wireless, 4gb GEIL DDR2 800mhz
cas lat 4ms, WD2500KS 250gb 7200rpm HDD, 460 Watt CoolerMaster PSU, EVGA
7900 GT KO 512 RAM 550mhz GPU

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I could have sworn that not more
than a month ago vista recognized all four gigs, and I have made no major
hardware changes since installing vista. (Vista Ultimate x64)

John Barnes

If you did see all 4gig, then you need to reset the remap memory feature in
the BIOS.

"RyanK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I updated the BIOS to the absolute latest version with no problems.;
> The BIOS recognizes all four gigs of RAM of course. If it helps these are
> the specifications on my computer:
>
> AMD 6000+ 3.0ghz, ASUS M2N23 SLI Deluxe/Wireless, 4gb GEIL DDR2 800mhz
> cas lat 4ms, WD2500KS 250gb 7200rpm HDD, 460 Watt CoolerMaster PSU,
> EVGA
> 7900 GT KO 512 RAM 550mhz GPU
>
> Does anyone have any other suggestions? I could have sworn that not more
> than a month ago vista recognized all four gigs, and I have made no major
> hardware changes since installing vista. (Vista Ultimate x64)

RyanK

So how do you do that? And what does that effect? Will my system still run
after doing this or is this a "reinstall your entire OS" type of thing?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> If you did see all 4gig, then you need to reset the remap memory feature in
> the BIOS.
>

> "RyanK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well I updated the BIOS to the absolute latest version with no problems.;
> > The BIOS recognizes all four gigs of RAM of course. If it helps these are
> > the specifications on my computer:
> >
> > AMD 6000+ 3.0ghz, ASUS M2N23 SLI Deluxe/Wireless, 4gb GEIL DDR2 800mhz
> > cas lat 4ms, WD2500KS 250gb 7200rpm HDD, 460 Watt CoolerMaster PSU,
> > EVGA
> > 7900 GT KO 512 RAM 550mhz GPU
> >
> > Does anyone have any other suggestions? I could have sworn that not more
> > than a month ago vista recognized all four gigs, and I have made no major
> > hardware changes since installing vista. (Vista Ultimate x64)

Colin Barnhorst

Just a note: Vista Ultimate x64 can see 128GB of ram, not 8GB. 8GB is
probably what your mobo supports.

"RyanK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey, very confused here, mostly because I don't think this always happened
> but, I have vista ultimate x64 installed yet out of my 4 gigs of RAM only
> 3.5
> appear. Is there a way around this, I know from what I have ready that
> this
> is strange to say the least. Vista x64 is designed to work with up to 8
> gigs
> of RAM.

RyanK

And just as a note, my BIOS does recognize all four gigs of RAM.

jabloomf1230

In your CMOS setup, there has to be an option called "Memory remap" or
"Memory hole" or something like that. If you do not turn this option on,
Vista x64 will only see 3.5GB of RAM, since Vista reserves the addresses
between 3.5GB and 4GB for devices like your video card. If you don't
believe this, go into the Device Manager and look at the hex addresses
for memory usage by various devices, like your video card, for example.

If you turn that option on in the BIOS, Vista x64 will see the whole
4GB. If there is no option in your BIOS like that and your have the most
recent version of the BIOS, you are out of luck. Google your mobo
"Gigabyte GA P35-DS3L 4GB RAM" and maybe you'll find out how to make it
work.