Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Human priced 8 gigabit ports Cisco switch

Reply
Thread Tools

Human priced 8 gigabit ports Cisco switch

 
 
mgiammarco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2008
Hello,
I would like to buy for learning a reasonably priced cisco switch.

My needs are:

- 8 gigabit ports;
- network assistant compatibility.

Thank you very much for your help!

Mario
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Thrill5
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2008

"mgiammarco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> I would like to buy for learning a reasonably priced cisco switch.
>
> My needs are:
>
> - 8 gigabit ports;
> - network assistant compatibility.
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
>
> Mario


If your definition is of "reasonable" is a couple hundred dollars, you not
going to find any. The only difference between 10/100 and 10/100/1000 ports
is speed. Most Cisco 10/100 switches have at least 2 gig ports, and can be
had cheaply. For learning how to configure Cisco switches, you don't
really need one with 8 gig ports which will cost thousands of dollars.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael T. Davis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2008

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>
mgiammarco <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Hello,
>I would like to buy for learning a reasonably priced cisco switch.
>
>My needs are:
>
>- 8 gigabit ports;
>- network assistant compatibility.
>
>Thank you very much for your help!


You'll have to define "reasonably priced." FWIW, though, I believe
the Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960G-8TC-L would meet your technical requirements. It
can be had new for around $800, or so (if not less).

>
>Mario


Regards,
Mike
--
| Systems Specialist: CBE,MSE
Michael T. Davis (Mike) | Departmental Networking/Computing
http://www.ecr6.ohio-state.edu/~davism/ | The Ohio State University
| 197 Watts, (614) 292-6928
 
Reply With Quote
 
mgiammarco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2008


> had cheaply. For learning how to configure Cisco switches, you don't
> really need one with 8 gig ports which will cost thousands of dollars.


Yes but I would like also to USE it because I pay for it and at home I
am trying ISCSI so I need gigabit to see how much data I can push.
 
Reply With Quote
 
mgiammarco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2008
On 11 Feb, 15:01, (E-Mail Removed)-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> mgiammarco <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:


> You'll have to define "reasonably priced." FWIW, though, I believe
> the Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960G-8TC-L would meet your technical requirements. It
> can be had new for around $800, or so (if not less).

Uhm 3-400$ seems reasonable to me Perhaps used or refurbished, I
now try to search it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred Atkinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2008
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:00:20 -0800 (PST), mgiammarco
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
>> had cheaply. For learning how to configure Cisco switches, you don't
>> really need one with 8 gig ports which will cost thousands of dollars.

>
>Yes but I would like also to USE it because I pay for it and at home I
>am trying ISCSI so I need gigabit to see how much data I can push.


The problem is that your 'high speed Internet' at home is
probably no more than six megabits per second at most. Having gigabit
ethernet isn't going to bring about any speed improvement
Internet-wise. You're only going onto and off from the Internet at
the speed you are getting from your provider, no faster.

If you are moving high speed data between hosts on your home
network, then it might be useful.

Unless that's the case, I'd suggest that you just get an 800
series router and forget it.

Regards,



Fred Atkinson
CCNA, CCAI
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MDS9222i Gigabit Ethernet ports - support 100MBit/s? Andrew Instone-Cowie Cisco 0 09-15-2008 11:09 AM
Using a Gigabit copper to Gigabit fiber media converter for an IDF rjmnyc@optonline.net Cisco 5 05-06-2006 12:51 PM
Throughput of your Gigabit switch? (performance problems with 3508G-XL) Thomas Arens Cisco 18 10-06-2004 06:23 PM
Gigabit switch suggestions Liz Eriksen Cisco 5 07-08-2004 04:43 PM
Choice of Cisco Gigabit Fiber Switch Scumbag Adie Cisco 0 07-19-2003 09:53 PM



Advertisments