Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Any one here had there Faulty Sony CCD Deivice replaced.

Any one here had there Faulty Sony CCD Deivice replaced.

noone@nospamyahoo.cnn

Yes my Sony F717 CCD has now failed the Camera Serial No. is on the Faulty list but as far as I
know Sony closed down here and Moved to OZZ..

These Faulty CCD's affected stacks of Sony cameras, Plus other brand that used there CCD devices..

So were do I take it to..?

Sony did not list it as a Recall but would replace the faulty CCD's, but I don't know what time
frame they were talking about.

Thanks

BTMO

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Yes my Sony F717 CCD has now failed the Camera Serial No. is on the
> Faulty list but as far as I
> know Sony closed down here and Moved to OZZ..
>
> These Faulty CCD's affected stacks of Sony cameras, Plus other brand that
> used there CCD devices..
>
> So were do I take it to..?
>
> Sony did not list it as a Recall but would replace the faulty CCD's, but I
> don't know what time
> frame they were talking about.

Take it to, or contact the, Sony shop in Willis Street - if you are
travellng to Wellington. If you are further afield, try contacting them via
www.sony.co.nz

noone@nospamyahoo.cnn

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 22:27:55 +1300, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> Yes my Sony F717 CCD has now failed the Camera Serial No. is on the
>> Faulty list but as far as I
>> know Sony closed down here and Moved to OZZ..
>>
>> These Faulty CCD's affected stacks of Sony cameras, Plus other brand that
>> used there CCD devices..
>>
>> So were do I take it to..?
>>
>> Sony did not list it as a Recall but would replace the faulty CCD's, but I
>> don't know what time
>> frame they were talking about.

>Take it to, or contact the, Sony shop in Willis Street - if you are
>travellng to Wellington. If you are further afield, try contacting them via
>www.sony.co.nz

Sony web site list Next Electronics as there service agent in Wellington

Thanks I will give them both a ring..

noone@nospamyahoo.cnn

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 22:27:55 +1300, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> Yes my Sony F717 CCD has now failed the Camera Serial No. is on the
>> Faulty list but as far as I
>> know Sony closed down here and Moved to OZZ..
>>
>> These Faulty CCD's affected stacks of Sony cameras, Plus other brand that
>> used there CCD devices..
>>
>> So were do I take it to..?
>>
>> Sony did not list it as a Recall but would replace the faulty CCD's, but I
>> don't know what time
>> frame they were talking about.

>Take it to, or contact the, Sony shop in Willis Street - if you are
>travellng to Wellington. If you are further afield, try contacting them via
>www.sony.co.nz

I have read a few posts on the net that Sony has a cut off date off all the faulty cameras, has a
date of late 2007, the camera was working ok a few months ago, it not used a lot, but failed today,
I now generally use a Sony DSC W1

The Camera is Registered with Sony as it has a 5 year warrantee as well, so if these is a cut of
date why didn't Sony contact me..?

I don't know if this is illegal here to have a cut of date for a known faulty product.

Max Burke

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes my Sony F717 CCD has now failed the Camera Serial No. is on the
> Faulty list but as far as I
> know Sony closed down here and Moved to OZZ..
> These Faulty CCD's affected stacks of Sony cameras, Plus other brand that
> used there CCD devices..
> So were do I take it to..?
> Sony did not list it as a Recall but would replace the faulty CCD's, but I
> don't know what time
> frame they were talking about.

I had my F717 CCD replaced about 2 years ago. I bought the camera in June
2003 and it failed in October 2006.
It was repaired entirely at Sony's expense, and took about 3 weeks for my
camera to be returned to me.

I took it back to the original retailer I had bought it from, along with a
printout from the Sony website about the problem, and about the recall and
fix Sony was doing. The retailer knew nothing about the problem or the fix
Sony was doing, but they called Sony Auckland when I took the camera in and
confirmed the problem and fix.

The camera was sent to Auckland, and the parts (replacement CCD) had to be
ordered from Singapore.
Apparently the only reason it took 3 weeks to be repaired was because the
replacement CCD's were in short supply at the time.

The camera is still going well today...

As far as I'm aware the cut off date for getting the faulty CCD replaced
only applied to the USA as Sony had a Class action law suite bought against
them and it was apparently a legal requirement (or deal Sony made with the
court) of that law suite to have a cut off date (when Sony's liability for
fixing/replacing the faulty CCD ended)
I dont believe it applied anywhere else in the world.

The CCD used in the F717 (and other Sony camera's) was also sold to several
other companies whose camera's (still and video) also developed the fault.
I seem to remember one website mentioned several million cameras from
various companies had the CCD it them.

Found Images

Craig Shore

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 01:03:46 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have read a few posts on the net that Sony has a cut off date off all the faulty cameras, has a
>date of late 2007, the camera was working ok a few months ago, it not used a lot, but failed today,
>I now generally use a Sony DSC W1

Yeah I think it was late 2007. I had my DSC V1 fixed in Jan 07 after
spending 3 weeks on holiday in Oz. I think it's heat that shows up
the problem, the temp over there was in the high 30's the whole time
we were there. Mine was fixed in about a week.

>The Camera is Registered with Sony as it has a 5 year warrantee as well, so if these is a cut of
>date why didn't Sony contact me..?

If it's still under warranty you shouldn't have any trouble. They
were only released overseas in Oct 2002 so you must be close?

PeeCee

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yes my Sony F717 CCD has now failed the Camera Serial No. is on the
> Faulty list but as far as I
> know Sony closed down here and Moved to OZZ..
>
> These Faulty CCD's affected stacks of Sony cameras, Plus other brand that
> used there CCD devices..
>
> So were do I take it to..?
>
> Sony did not list it as a Recall but would replace the faulty CCD's, but I
> don't know what time
> frame they were talking about.
>
> Thanks

Just noticed your post.
Hope it's not to late to help.
Yes I had my F717 done last year (2007)

I simply Faxed Sony Auckland refering to these service announcements.
http://www.sony-asia.com/support/announcement/45536 and
http://www.sony-asia.com/support/ann...ite=hp_en_AP_i
(Sony's Auckland details below)

I attached a photo of the sensor fault as seen on the lcd display and asked
if I should courier it direct to them or was there a local agent to take it
to.
They actually rang me within two days with a local outfit to take it to, and
they confirmed if it was a sensor fault it would be repaired at no cost.
Had it back in a week, new sensor, running fine.

FYI the 'fault' is comtamination of the sensor from leakage past the lead
seals.
The original encapsulation for Sony's camera sensors was Ceramic, but at the
time Sony was under a lot of pressure to cut costs so changed to Resin
encapsulation.
Unfortunately the Resin seals simply weren't up to the job and, well you've
seen the result.

Best
Paul.

"Sony Service Centre