Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > addresses

addresses

Default User

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> On Feb 8, 7:37*pm, "Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > * * Are there any functions in c like memcpy perhaps that can
> > return the memory address from the address bus for *an array of say
> > char name[5] ? This would be 40 bits somewhere. Where in memory?

> This "Bill Cunningham" Usenet identity is a troll. You can tell from
> this thread alone, but a quick peek at the posting history pretty much
> confirms it.

I can't tell. I do know that he ignores all advice. I'm plonking him.

Brian

Mark McIntyre

Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> On Feb 8, 7:37 pm, "Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Are there any functions in c like memcpy perhaps that can return the
>> memory address from the address bus for an array of say char name[5] ? This
>> would be 40 bits somewhere. Where in memory?

> This "Bill Cunningham" Usenet identity is a troll. You can tell from
> this thread alone, but a quick peek at the posting history pretty much
> confirms it.

Apparently he has learning difficulties.

pete

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> This "Bill Cunningham" Usenet identity is a troll. You can tell from
> this thread alone, but a quick peek at the posting history pretty much
> confirms it.

He's a very sophisticated troll.
He's on topic.
He addresses the technical content of posted replies.
But it's his complete lack of arrogance
that fools most people into thinking that he's legitimate.
And he's consistent about all of that too.

--
pete

Bill Cunningham

"santosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fojb0d$aup$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bill Cunningham wrote:
>
>>> A pointer is as close as you'll get. For machines with a linear
>>> address space, the pointer will probably be the memory address -
>>> but for other architectures (and perhaps some virtual machines)
>>> the pointer may very not be a unique address.
>>>

>> How would you use a pointer?

> int i, *p = &i;
> *p = 5;
>
> Why don't you go through a tutorial?

I see what you're doing here. But I don't think it's what I'm looking
for.

Bill Cunningham

"Ian Collins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bill Cunningham wrote:
>> Are there any functions in c like memcpy perhaps that can return the
>> memory address from the address bus for an array of say char name[5] ?
>> This
>> would be 40 bits somewhere. Where in memory?
>>

> C has no such concept. The best you can do is take the address of a
> variable and use that address within the context of the application.
> That address may or may not map directly to a physical address.
>
> One any virtual memory operating system, obtaining a physical address
> from a virtual address is beyond the scope of standard C.

It looks that way.

Joe Wright

Mark McIntyre wrote:
> Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>> On Feb 8, 7:37 pm, "Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Are there any functions in c like memcpy perhaps that can return the
>>> memory address from the address bus for an array of say char name[5]
>>> ? This
>>> would be 40 bits somewhere. Where in memory?

>> This "Bill Cunningham" Usenet identity is a troll. You can tell from
>> this thread alone, but a quick peek at the posting history pretty much
>> confirms it.

> Apparently he has learning difficulties.

Yes he does. He is seriously challenged. Some time ago he explained some
of his difficulties, mainly to do with memory.

I am convinced that Bill is not a troll and is using C and Usenet as
part of his therapy.

We should help him as much as we can, and not be offended if our advice
doesn't "take".

--
Joe Wright
"If you think Health Care is expensive now, wait until it's free."

Bill Cunningham

> One any virtual memory operating system, obtaining a physical address
> from a virtual address is beyond the scope of standard C.

Ok all I need to know.

Bill

Bart

On Feb 9, 5:24*pm, "Bill Cunningham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > One any virtual memory operating system, obtaining a physical address
> > from a virtual address is beyond the scope of standard C.

> * * Ok all I need to know.

I doubt the physical address would be very useful to you. For one
thing, the physical memory of your task may not be contiguous. And I
think it's likely to keep changing anyway.

--
Bart

Randy Howard

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 10:58:58 -0600, Joe Wright wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Mark McIntyre wrote:
>> Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>>>
>>> This "Bill Cunningham" Usenet identity is a troll. You can tell from
>>> this thread alone, but a quick peek at the posting history pretty much
>>> confirms it.

>> Apparently he has learning difficulties.

> Yes he does. He is seriously challenged. Some time ago he explained some
> of his difficulties, mainly to do with memory.
>
> I am convinced that Bill is not a troll and is using C and Usenet as
> part of his therapy.
>
> We should help him as much as we can, and not be offended if our advice
> doesn't "take".

It could also be that he has discovered that relying on political
correctness to override common sense is a proven tactic.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Serve Laurijssen

"pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>
>> This "Bill Cunningham" Usenet identity is a troll. You can tell from
>> this thread alone, but a quick peek at the posting history pretty much
>> confirms it.

> He's a very sophisticated troll.
> He's on topic.
> He addresses the technical content of posted replies.
> But it's his complete lack of arrogance
> that fools most people into thinking that he's legitimate.
> And he's consistent about all of that too.

Yeah Billy is cool )
A big smile comes on my face when I see a thread made by Bill. Thanks! <3