Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Switching Hard Drives between machines with XP installed

Switching Hard Drives between machines with XP installed

John Bartlett

Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice

I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a better
motherboard.

Machine 1.
Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
512 Mb Ram
40 GB Seagate system drive
80Gb Seagate data drive
32 Mb Graphics card
Lite-on DVD writer etc.
Windows XP.

Machine 2.
Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
512 Mb Ram
20 Gb Maxtor
64 Mb Graphics card
Windows XP.

What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
400 DDR Ram.

MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
problems with them recognizing hardware etc.

Cheers

JB

Peter Jenkins

On Feb 9, 11:58 am, John Bartlett <jb@.nospam.nz.net> wrote:
> Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
>
> I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a better
> motherboard.
>
> Machine 1.
> Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
> 512 Mb Ram
> 40 GB Seagate system drive
> 80Gb Seagate data drive
> 32 Mb Graphics card
> Lite-on DVD writer etc.
> Windows XP.
>
> Machine 2.
> Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
> 512 Mb Ram
> 20 Gb Maxtor
> 64 Mb Graphics card
> Windows XP.
>
> What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
> the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
> faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
> 400 DDR Ram.
>
> MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
> operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
> problems with them recognizing hardware etc.
>
> Cheers
>
> JB

It MAY work.... or you will get blue screens on one or both machines.
It depends....I installed a new motherboard on a machine a while ago,
but it was from the same manufacturer and a much newer model in the
same series, the major difference being that it was designed for
currently available CPU's. There was enough in common that I got away
with it.

You will definitely have to reactivate XP on both though, due to
having made significant hardware changes

Regards
Peter Jenkins
see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Bartlett" typed:
> Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
>
> I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a
> better motherboard.
>
> Machine 1.
> Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
> 512 Mb Ram
> 40 GB Seagate system drive
> 80Gb Seagate data drive
> 32 Mb Graphics card
> Lite-on DVD writer etc.
> Windows XP.
>
> Machine 2.
> Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
> 512 Mb Ram
> 20 Gb Maxtor
> 64 Mb Graphics card
> Windows XP.
>
> What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
> the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
> faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
> 400 DDR Ram.
>
> MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
> operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
> problems with them recognizing hardware etc.

I've found that the most important 'part' influencing whether this will work
is the chipset. You don't list them (although if I was less lazy I could
look them up).

If they have similar chipsets, or at least the same 'brand' chipsets, the
odds are better of the transplant working.
--
Shaun.

Rhino

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:58:35 +1300, John Bartlett <jb@.nospam.nz.net>
wrote:

>Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
>
>I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a better
>motherboard.
>
>Machine 1.
>Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
>512 Mb Ram
>40 GB Seagate system drive
>80Gb Seagate data drive
>32 Mb Graphics card
>Lite-on DVD writer etc.
>Windows XP.
>
>Machine 2.
>Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
>512 Mb Ram
>20 Gb Maxtor
>64 Mb Graphics card
>Windows XP.
>
>What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
>the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
>faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
>400 DDR Ram.
>
>MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
>operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
>problems with them recognizing hardware etc.
>
>Cheers

I have changed motherboards on Windows based boxes many times without
trouble. Install your drives and boot into safe mode. Open the device
manager and delete all entries under System Devices. Have your
motherboard driver cd to hand and reboot. Load any chipset drivers and
Windows will detect all your system devices again.

I would suspect that you will have to re-activate Xp, as Peter has
suggested.
Cheers, Rhino

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Bartlett did write:

> MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
> operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
> problems with them recognizing hardware etc.

Why don't you just reinstall?

John Bartlett

Hi

I assumed I'd have to download all the updates etc that I have kept up
to date with over the last 4 years

Cheers

JB

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Bartlett did write:
>
>> MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
>> operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
>> problems with them recognizing hardware etc.

> Why don't you just reinstall?

John Bartlett

Thanks

I'm not too techie so how would I check that?

Cheers

JB

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Bartlett" typed:
>> Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
>>
>> I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a
>> better motherboard.
>>
>> Machine 1.
>> Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
>> 512 Mb Ram
>> 40 GB Seagate system drive
>> 80Gb Seagate data drive
>> 32 Mb Graphics card
>> Lite-on DVD writer etc.
>> Windows XP.
>>
>> Machine 2.
>> Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
>> 512 Mb Ram
>> 20 Gb Maxtor
>> 64 Mb Graphics card
>> Windows XP.
>>
>> What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
>> the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
>> faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
>> 400 DDR Ram.
>>
>> MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
>> operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
>> problems with them recognizing hardware etc.

> I've found that the most important 'part' influencing whether this will work
> is the chipset. You don't list them (although if I was less lazy I could
> look them up).
>
> If they have similar chipsets, or at least the same 'brand' chipsets, the
> odds are better of the transplant working.

John Bartlett

Thanks - sound s like a plan that might work - I have the MB driver disc
for PC 1 but not the other at it's a bitsa...

JB

noone@nospamyahoo.cnn

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:58:35 +1300, John Bartlett <jb@.nospam.nz.net> wrote:

>Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
>
>I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a better
>motherboard.
>
>Machine 1.
>Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
>512 Mb Ram
>40 GB Seagate system drive
>80Gb Seagate data drive
>32 Mb Graphics card
>Lite-on DVD writer etc.
>Windows XP.
>
>Machine 2.
>Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
>512 Mb Ram
>20 Gb Maxtor
>64 Mb Graphics card
>Windows XP.
>
>What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
>the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
>faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
>400 DDR Ram.
>
>MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
>operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
>problems with them recognizing hardware etc.
>
>Cheers
>
>JB

No No No plus you will have to buy a another copy of XP..

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <47ad4a10$(E-Mail Removed)>, John Bartlett did write:

> I assumed I'd have to download all the updates etc that I have kept up
> to date with over the last 4 years
>
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Bartlett did write:
>>
>>> MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
>>> operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
>>> problems with them recognizing hardware etc.

>> Why don't you just reinstall?

A: You take off your shoes to jump on a trampoline.
Q: What's the difference between a top-poster and a trampoline?