Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Quanta templates

Quanta templates

leupi

I was wondering if anyone here used the Quanta HTML editor on Linux. I
am trying to figure out if I can use it to create templates that would
can be used for all of my pages the way that I could when I used
Dreamweaver. Right now, when I make a change to the basic design I need
to go to each individual page with that same change, yuck...

Thanks,
Todd

dorayme

In article <Cm2rj.11$CX2.9@trndny09>,
leupi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone here used the Quanta HTML editor on Linux. I
> am trying to figure out if I can use it to create templates that would
> can be used for all of my pages the way that I could when I used
> Dreamweaver. Right now, when I make a change to the basic design I need
> to go to each individual page with that same change, yuck...

If you separate your html markup as much as possible from your
css presentational instructions, then a change to the
presentation should require changing only one file, namely the
css one. This is something that is quite independent of the
editor you use.

However, if you change the html markup, then you do need to
change all the pages. There are some remarkably powerful yet easy
ways to do this. I do this all the time with search and Replace
functions. If you don't know about this, either read your editors
manual on this function or ask further here and I would be happy
to give more detailed tips.

There is another way to reduce the workload when making html mark
up changes. For example, if you re making a set of pages and you
suddenly find it growing to more than expected numbers, you might
need to change navigation details. Instead of a page navigation
of 9, you might want to add a 10th. I mentioned the S & R way of
doing this. Here is another way: put such things in a text file
of their own and use server side "includes" in your html mark-up.
When you want to change such things, you need only change the
text file. The server will do the rest. Read up about includes or
ask further about them.

There are ways to avoid the need for DW type automation in your
developments. Simple tools, a lot with a little. As far as I can
see, DW users do very little with a lot.

--
dorayme

Blinky the Shark

leupi wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone here used the Quanta HTML editor on
> Linux.

Yes.

> I am trying to figure out if I can use it to create
> templates that would can be used for all of my pages the way
> that I could when I used Dreamweaver. Right now, when I make a
> change to the basic design I need to go to each individual page
> with that same change, yuck...

Since I can't figure out what Quanta templates would be other than a
pattern saved to use when you want to make a new one, I just do that
-- I open an existent page, save it with a new filename, and edit it
into what I want.

As for making "a change to the basic design" necessitating "go[ing]
to each individual page" to make changes, that's not the case here
since I use CSS and PHP. I just have to change the stying or a file
that will be included on all of my pages by the PHP scripting.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Leupi

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> leupi wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone here used the Quanta HTML editor on
>> Linux.

> Yes.
>
>> I am trying to figure out if I can use it to create
>> templates that would can be used for all of my pages the way
>> that I could when I used Dreamweaver. Right now, when I make a
>> change to the basic design I need to go to each individual page
>> with that same change, yuck...

> Since I can't figure out what Quanta templates would be other than a
> pattern saved to use when you want to make a new one, I just do that
> -- I open an existent page, save it with a new filename, and edit it
> into what I want.
>
> As for making "a change to the basic design" necessitating "go[ing]
> to each individual page" to make changes, that's not the case here
> since I use CSS and PHP. I just have to change the stying or a file
> that will be included on all of my pages by the PHP scripting.

I do use CSS to separate the content from the presentation. The changes
that I am referring to are more along the lines of what dorayme
mentioned, something similar to adding another link to links section or
changing some text that you would like displayed on all of the pages. In
DW when I changed the template the change would reverberate to all of
the pages that were based on that template.

I have a template in Quanta that I base all of my pages on; however; if
I want to change some content in that template then I need to go to each
individual page that I based on that template and make the same change.
I was wondering if Quanta had that same functionality that DW has in
that respect. I know next to nothing about PHP and I am not sure how to
use SSI. I'll look into SSI.

Thanks,
Todd

Blinky the Shark

Leupi wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> leupi wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone here used the Quanta HTML editor on
>>> Linux.

>> Yes.
>>
>>> I am trying to figure out if I can use it to create
>>> templates that would can be used for all of my pages the way
>>> that I could when I used Dreamweaver. Right now, when I make a
>>> change to the basic design I need to go to each individual
>>> page with that same change, yuck...

>> Since I can't figure out what Quanta templates would be other
>> than a pattern saved to use when you want to make a new one, I
>> just do that -- I open an existent page, save it with a new
>> filename, and edit it into what I want.
>>
>> As for making "a change to the basic design" necessitating
>> "go[ing] to each individual page" to make changes, that's not
>> the case here since I use CSS and PHP. I just have to change
>> the stying or a file that will be included on all of my pages
>> by the PHP scripting.
>>

> I do use CSS to separate the content from the presentation. The
> changes that I am referring to are more along the lines of what
> dorayme mentioned, something similar to adding another link to
> links section or changing some text that you would like
> displayed on all of the pages. In DW when I changed the template
> the change would reverberate to all of the pages that were based
> on that template.
>
> I have a template in Quanta that I base all of my pages on;
> however; if I want to change some content in that template then
> I need to go to each individual page that I based on that
> template and make the same change. I was wondering if Quanta had
> that same functionality that DW has in that respect. I know next
> to nothing about PHP

<?php include ("$filename"); ?>

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Monster Templates - Question about Submitting Templates Fred HTML 1 09-26-2005 01:09 AM
Templates within templates Tom McCallum C++ 2 08-04-2004 04:44 PM
Templates templates templates JKop C++ 3 07-21-2004 11:44 AM
using templates in templates John Harrison C++ 8 07-31-2003 12:00 PM

Advertisments