Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Broken ATA - recommend a replacement?

Reply
Thread Tools

Broken ATA - recommend a replacement?

 
 
Chris Davies
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2008
Hi folks,

Shortly before Christmas I took the plunge and got a Grandstream 286
from eBay. Updated the firmware and it worked happily until a couple
of weeks ago. The original seller can't recall the place from where
he purchased it, and Grandstream won't honour direct warranty claims.
(Whether that's legal or not within the EU would also be interesting.)

On the premise that I'd prefer a working ATA to a brick, I was hoping
one of you could recommend me a cheap-ish replacement ATA, please?


The Grandstream 286 only allowed for one SIP provider, no dial plan, one
phone socket (and no POTS-side connection), so my minimum requirements
aren't complex. I'd /like/ multiple SIP providers, a dial plan that allows
me to have "local" numbers prefixed with 01423, and a per-call POTS/VoIP
selector that isn't simply "*" or "#". But I don't /need/ any of that.

I have a maximum budget of about £50, and I don't want to be tied in to a
specific VoIP provider. What I need from an ATA is to be able to connect
to at least one SIP provider, and to be able to use DTMF including "*"
and "#" during a call.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2008
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 13:06:42 +0000, Chris Davies
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>Shortly before Christmas I took the plunge and got a Grandstream 286
>from eBay. Updated the firmware and it worked happily until a couple
>of weeks ago. The original seller can't recall the place from where
>he purchased it, and Grandstream won't honour direct warranty claims.
>(Whether that's legal or not within the EU would also be interesting.)
>
>On the premise that I'd prefer a working ATA to a brick, I was hoping
>one of you could recommend me a cheap-ish replacement ATA, please?
>
>
>The Grandstream 286 only allowed for one SIP provider, no dial plan, one
>phone socket (and no POTS-side connection), so my minimum requirements
>aren't complex. I'd /like/ multiple SIP providers, a dial plan that allows
>me to have "local" numbers prefixed with 01423, and a per-call POTS/VoIP
>selector that isn't simply "*" or "#". But I don't /need/ any of that.
>
>I have a maximum budget of about 50, and I don't want to be tied in to a
>specific VoIP provider. What I need from an ATA is to be able to connect
>to at least one SIP provider, and to be able to use DTMF including "*"
>and "#" during a call.
>
>Suggestions would be much appreciated.
>
>Cheers,
>Chris

The price of the SPA-3102 is reasonably priced and will permit up to 5
different outgoing providers and one (same as one of the outgoing)
incoming provider. The SPA-3102 will permit integration with a
landline also.
Broadbandstuff:-
http://tinyurl.com/2mnfxd
Alternatively you could look at a PAP2 and use voxalot.com to assist
in unlimited outgoing providers. The PAP2 has 2 separate lines.
Beware: Buy a new UNLOCKED PAP2. Don't go for secondhand ones on Ebay
etc. as they could well be unlocked Vonage boxes.
Broadbandstuff:-
http://tinyurl.com/2oud6w
Both the above ATAs have dial plans and so permit user friendly
dialling.




---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
TheFug
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2008
Brian A schreef:
> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 13:06:42 +0000, Chris Davies
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Shortly before Christmas I took the plunge and got a Grandstream 286
>>from eBay. Updated the firmware and it worked happily until a couple
>> of weeks ago. The original seller can't recall the place from where
>> he purchased it, and Grandstream won't honour direct warranty claims.
>> (Whether that's legal or not within the EU would also be interesting.)
>>
>> On the premise that I'd prefer a working ATA to a brick, I was hoping
>> one of you could recommend me a cheap-ish replacement ATA, please?
>>
>>
>> The Grandstream 286 only allowed for one SIP provider, no dial plan, one
>> phone socket (and no POTS-side connection), so my minimum requirements
>> aren't complex. I'd /like/ multiple SIP providers, a dial plan that allows
>> me to have "local" numbers prefixed with 01423, and a per-call POTS/VoIP
>> selector that isn't simply "*" or "#". But I don't /need/ any of that.
>>
>> I have a maximum budget of about 50, and I don't want to be tied in to a
>> specific VoIP provider. What I need from an ATA is to be able to connect
>> to at least one SIP provider, and to be able to use DTMF including "*"
>> and "#" during a call.
>>
>> Suggestions would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chris

> The price of the SPA-3102 is reasonably priced and will permit up to 5
> different outgoing providers and one (same as one of the outgoing)
> incoming provider. The SPA-3102 will permit integration with a
> landline also.
> Broadbandstuff:-
> http://tinyurl.com/2mnfxd
> Alternatively you could look at a PAP2 and use voxalot.com to assist
> in unlimited outgoing providers. The PAP2 has 2 separate lines.
> Beware: Buy a new UNLOCKED PAP2. Don't go for secondhand ones on Ebay
> etc. as they could well be unlocked Vonage boxes.
> Broadbandstuff:-
> http://tinyurl.com/2oud6w
> Both the above ATAs have dial plans and so permit user friendly
> dialling.
>
>
>
>
> ---
> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
> ---

If you want a multitude of in en outgoing providers you can also use a
service like Mysipswitch, it's a new (and free) service, which i use
also, it has great support, and is also in the process of adding new
features, where you can have your say in..

--

The Fug.

( VoIP/SIP switched by: www.mysipswitch.com )
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Davies
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2008
TheFug <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If you want a multitude of in en outgoing providers you can also use a
> service like Mysipswitch, it's a new (and free) service, which i use
> also, it has great support, and is also in the process of adding new
> features, where you can have your say in..


Thanks for the suggestion... do you know what's in it for
mysipswitch? (They presumably need some sort of revenue stream.)

Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2008
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:50:10 +0000, Chris Davies
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>TheFug <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> If you want a multitude of in en outgoing providers you can also use a
>> service like Mysipswitch, it's a new (and free) service, which i use
>> also, it has great support, and is also in the process of adding new
>> features, where you can have your say in..

>
>Thanks for the suggestion... do you know what's in it for
>mysipswitch? (They presumably need some sort of revenue stream.)
>
>Chris

I suppose we can only guess. It is, as you can see from the site,
sponsored by Blueface - an Irish company.
It may be that they are benefitting by results of a research project
that may glean a commercial product and, possibly, they might get some
tax relief on it. It might also enhance their own commerical VoIP
system and so assist in retaining and pleasing their customers.
As the project appears to be maintained by volunteers that means that
a large slice of the potential running costs are eliminated. It could
prove a very good investment for Blueface - research without having to
pay the researchers but with an outcome of possible commerically
exploitable ideas.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
 
Reply With Quote
 
TheFug
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2008
Brian A schreef:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:50:10 +0000, Chris Davies
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> TheFug <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> If you want a multitude of in en outgoing providers you can also use a
>>> service like Mysipswitch, it's a new (and free) service, which i use
>>> also, it has great support, and is also in the process of adding new
>>> features, where you can have your say in..

>> Thanks for the suggestion... do you know what's in it for
>> mysipswitch? (They presumably need some sort of revenue stream.)
>>
>> Chris

> I suppose we can only guess. It is, as you can see from the site,
> sponsored by Blueface - an Irish company.
> It may be that they are benefitting by results of a research project
> that may glean a commercial product and, possibly, they might get some
> tax relief on it. It might also enhance their own commerical VoIP
> system and so assist in retaining and pleasing their customers.
> As the project appears to be maintained by volunteers that means that
> a large slice of the potential running costs are eliminated. It could
> prove a very good investment for Blueface - research without having to
> pay the researchers but with an outcome of possible commerically
> exploitable ideas.
>
> ---
> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
> ---


I just use it sofar no complaints, it works, and very fine, i guess
you hear more complaints about paid serviceses, MySIPSwitch has a good
online status, on top of that it's free, so using it, is for everyone a
win win situation
You save buying expensive equipment, because you use the MySIPSwitch
features, also easy to use with WiFi phones, because you manage your
dialplan on your Mysipswitch logon via any web-browser.

--

The Fug.

( VoIP/SIP switched by: www.mysipswitch.com )
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Davies
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2008
Chris Davies <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...] I'd /like/ multiple SIP providers, a dial plan that allows me
> to have "local" numbers prefixed with 01423, and a per-call POTS/VoIP
> selector that isn't simply "*" or "#". But I don't /need/ any of
> that. I have a maximum budget of about £50, and I don't want to be
> tied in to a specific VoIP provider. What I need from an ATA is to be
> able to connect to at least one SIP provider, and to be able to use
> DTMF including "*" and "#" during a call.


Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The price of the SPA-3102 is reasonably priced and will permit up to 5
> different outgoing providers and one (same as one of the outgoing)
> incoming provider. The SPA-3102 will permit integration with a
> landline also.


Thanks for that. I've now read around on the SPA-3102 and the PAP2.
However, what I'm struggling with, is to determine the difference in
features and/or reliability between them. I think I've got it, but
perhaps you could just confirm this?


SPA 3102 features (I think):
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3473

* One FXS telephone port
* One FXO connection to PSTN
* One inbound VoIP provider
* Several (up to five?) outbound VoIP providers
* Controlled routing between PSTN and VoIP providers


PAP2 features (I think):
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3508

* Two FXS telephone ports
* /No/ FXO connection to PSTN
* One inbound VoIP provider per FXS port (independent configs)
* Some (how many?) outbound VoIP providers


Based on that understanding, I've got a number of questions:

* SPA3102: is it easy (or possible) to switch between VoIP and PSTN
"on demand" from the phone handset? (How?)

* SPA3102: Why does it have two 100base-T ethernet ports?

* Is the choice of outbound VoIP provider determined by a
dialplan, or "on demand" from the phone handset?

* Do these devices work with, and provide, BT style CLID ?

* Do both these devices need a US style RJ11 to UK/BT style
telephone socket adapter for each FXS port, so that the phone
will ring?
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2370

* SPA3102: If the power fails, do you get a pass-through between
the FXS and FXO?

Many thanks for your help.
Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
TheFug
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2008
Chris Davies schreef:
> Chris Davies <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> [...] I'd /like/ multiple SIP providers, a dial plan that allows me
>> to have "local" numbers prefixed with 01423, and a per-call POTS/VoIP
>> selector that isn't simply "*" or "#". But I don't /need/ any of
>> that. I have a maximum budget of about £50, and I don't want to be
>> tied in to a specific VoIP provider. What I need from an ATA is to be
>> able to connect to at least one SIP provider, and to be able to use
>> DTMF including "*" and "#" during a call.

>
> Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The price of the SPA-3102 is reasonably priced and will permit up to 5
>> different outgoing providers and one (same as one of the outgoing)
>> incoming provider. The SPA-3102 will permit integration with a
>> landline also.

>
> Thanks for that. I've now read around on the SPA-3102 and the PAP2.
> However, what I'm struggling with, is to determine the difference in
> features and/or reliability between them. I think I've got it, but
> perhaps you could just confirm this?
>
>
> SPA 3102 features (I think):
> http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3473
>
> * One FXS telephone port
> * One FXO connection to PSTN
> * One inbound VoIP provider
> * Several (up to five?) outbound VoIP providers
> * Controlled routing between PSTN and VoIP providers
>
>
> PAP2 features (I think):
> http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3508
>
> * Two FXS telephone ports
> * /No/ FXO connection to PSTN
> * One inbound VoIP provider per FXS port (independent configs)
> * Some (how many?) outbound VoIP providers
>
>
> Based on that understanding, I've got a number of questions:
>
> * SPA3102: is it easy (or possible) to switch between VoIP and PSTN
> "on demand" from the phone handset? (How?)

you can set a (phone)button for that, but you can also set that in your
dialplan, for certain numbers, to be dialed over landline (like
emergency numbers)

>
> * SPA3102: Why does it have two 100base-T ethernet ports?

That way, you can set it between your pc and ethernet,(in & out) or you
put it on its own lan port on the router. (then you only use one port)
That last option is the better one, > QoS

>
> * Is the choice of outbound VoIP provider determined by a
> dialplan, or "on demand" from the phone handset?
>

You can do both, you can make a "smart" dialplan, or you make a "prefix"
like: *1 *2 by dialing *1[telephonenumber] = provider 1
*2[telephonenumber] =provider 2
> * Do these devices work with, and provide, BT style CLID ?
>

the SPA3102 has a "trick"for that if you mean C(aller)ID

> * Do both these devices need a US style RJ11 to UK/BT style
> telephone socket adapter for each FXS port, so that the phone
> will ring?
> http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2370
>

i guess you need the adapter for the UK standard

> * SPA3102: If the power fails, do you get a pass-through between
> the FXS and FXO?
>


Yes.

> Many thanks for your help.
> Chris



--

The Fug.

( VoIP/SIP switched by: www.mysipswitch.com )
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2008
TheFug submitted this idea :
>> * Do these devices work with, and provide, BT style CLID ?
>>

> the SPA3102 has a "trick"for that if you mean C(aller)ID


What do you mean by "trick"? Are you thinking about outbound CLI
presentation?

I think the OP was asking if the devices support the displaying of CLID
on the connected handsets. If that's the case, to the OP, yes!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Herman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2008
"TheFug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47b0a221$0$25485$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Brian A schreef:
>> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:50:10 +0000, Chris Davies
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> TheFug <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>> If you want a multitude of in en outgoing providers you can also use a
>>>> service like Mysipswitch, it's a new (and free) service, which i use
>>>> also, it has great support, and is also in the process of adding new
>>>> features, where you can have your say in..
>>> Thanks for the suggestion... do you know what's in it for
>>> mysipswitch? (They presumably need some sort of revenue stream.)
>>>
>>> Chris

>> I suppose we can only guess. It is, as you can see from the site,
>> sponsored by Blueface - an Irish company.
>> It may be that they are benefitting by results of a research project
>> that may glean a commercial product and, possibly, they might get some
>> tax relief on it. It might also enhance their own commerical VoIP
>> system and so assist in retaining and pleasing their customers.
>> As the project appears to be maintained by volunteers that means that
>> a large slice of the potential running costs are eliminated. It could
>> prove a very good investment for Blueface - research without having to
>> pay the researchers but with an outcome of possible commerically
>> exploitable ideas.
>>
>> ---
>> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
>> ---

>
> I just use it sofar no complaints, it works, and very fine, i guess you
> hear more complaints about paid serviceses, MySIPSwitch has a good online
> status, on top of that it's free, so using it, is for everyone a win win
> situation
> You save buying expensive equipment, because you use the MySIPSwitch
> features, also easy to use with WiFi phones, because you manage your
> dialplan on your Mysipswitch logon via any web-browser.
>
> --
>
> The Fug.
>
> ( VoIP/SIP switched by: www.mysipswitch.com )


Voxalot is a paying version of this


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The best SIP ATA-1000 and SIP ATA-1100 with The lowest price!!! voxquick via HWKB.com VOIP 0 04-03-2006 12:24 PM
Comunications ATA 186 to ATA 186 (without any gatekeeper or CallManager) SoGo VOIP 1 03-12-2005 07:39 AM
Serial ATA HD And Ultra/ATA HD's In Same PC: O.K. ? Robert11 Computer Support 1 10-28-2004 10:14 PM
Ultra ATA/100 HDD on a Ultra ATA/33 motherboard Prinxce of Darkxness Computer Support 3 01-06-2004 05:36 PM
ATA 133 HD on a ATA 100 Board buffy Computer Support 2 12-23-2003 03:39 PM



Advertisments