Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Unzipping files in XP64

Unzipping files in XP64

Seanb72

Hi, can anyone give me any advice on the following. The company I work for
has recently installed some new CAD pc's that run xp 64bit. The problem is
that the users are unable to unzip compressed files that they are sent in the
way that they could on their old xp 32 bit pc's.

Any suggestions or info on why this is the case with the 64bit version and
how can we resolve it as they need to be able to unzip files.

Many thanks

Sean

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
have a look at the file extension to application relation on the 32bit pcs
and check, if they are the same on the 64 bitters
check if the app is installed anyway
jk

Theo

There must be some underlying reason causing the problem.
Win x64 & Vista x64 will unzip standard zip compressed files
without any additional tools or utilities.

You can also get WinZip and 7-Zip for x64.

Perhaps the file integrity is not being maintained when
transferring to x64.

Seanb72 wrote:
> Hi, can anyone give me any advice on the following. The company I work for
> has recently installed some new CAD pc's that run xp 64bit. The problem is
> that the users are unable to unzip compressed files that they are sent in the
> way that they could on their old xp 32 bit pc's.
>
> Any suggestions or info on why this is the case with the 64bit version and
> how can we resolve it as they need to be able to unzip files.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Sean

Tom Ferguson

XP 64 and Vista 64 both treat Zip files much as they do conventional
directories/folders. Navigate to the zip using Computer. Double left mouse
click on the file. Copy the desired item(s) wherever you want or cut/paste
at your option. Or right mouse click and choose the appropriate option. If
those options are not available to you, there is some underlying problem.
Let us know.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Seanb72" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, can anyone give me any advice on the following. The company I work for
> has recently installed some new CAD pc's that run xp 64bit. The problem is
> that the users are unable to unzip compressed files that they are sent in
> the
> way that they could on their old xp 32 bit pc's.
>
> Any suggestions or info on why this is the case with the 64bit version and
> how can we resolve it as they need to be able to unzip files.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Sean

Charlie Russel - MVP

I suspect your users are used to using right click in Windows Explorer with
the files. Which, if you're using an older version of WinZip, won't work.
You can either upgrade to the newer version of WinZip, which does support
right click in Windows Explorer, or you can use a different program.
Personally, I prefer WinRAR. They've been very good about supporting 64bit
since it released.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Seanb72" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, can anyone give me any advice on the following. The company I work for
> has recently installed some new CAD pc's that run xp 64bit. The problem is
> that the users are unable to unzip compressed files that they are sent in
> the
> way that they could on their old xp 32 bit pc's.
>
> Any suggestions or info on why this is the case with the 64bit version and
> how can we resolve it as they need to be able to unzip files.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Sean

Carlos

Hi,
I think this group would give you a more precise answer if you elaborated
the phrase "are unable to unzip compressed files that they are sent in the
way that they could".
How are they sent (e-mail, what program, usb pen drive, etc.)?
What program do they use to unzip?
What is the unzipping location (e-mail, windows explorer, etc.)?
That would narrow down the many causes to this issue.
Carlos

"Seanb72" wrote:

> Hi, can anyone give me any advice on the following. The company I work for
> has recently installed some new CAD pc's that run xp 64bit. The problem is
> that the users are unable to unzip compressed files that they are sent in the
> way that they could on their old xp 32 bit pc's.
>
> Any suggestions or info on why this is the case with the 64bit version and
> how can we resolve it as they need to be able to unzip files.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Sean

philo

"Seanb72" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, can anyone give me any advice on the following. The company I work for
> has recently installed some new CAD pc's that run xp 64bit. The problem is
> that the users are unable to unzip compressed files that they are sent in

the
> way that they could on their old xp 32 bit pc's.
>
> Any suggestions or info on why this is the case with the 64bit version and
> how can we resolve it as they need to be able to unzip files.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Sean

XP can handle .zip files
but there are many other forms of compression than .zip

have a look at the extension and if it's something other than .zip
you will need the appropriate decompression utility

spud8oy

I would recommend WINRAR, I run a 32bit and a 64bit machine and im
constanly transferring zip and rar files between them and WINRAR never
had any problems.

--
spud8oy
http://www.techtalkz.com - Technology and Computer Troubleshooting Forums

distinction between unzipping bytes and unzipping a file webcomm Python 10 01-10-2009 09:18 PM
unzipping .tar files Jeremy Watts Computer Information 2 11-14-2006 06:53 PM
Unzipping Files Greg Lindstrom Python 1 04-01-2005 03:44 PM
unzipping multiple files at once Robin Computer Support 3 03-07-2005 09:52 PM
Zipping and Unzipping files Doug Tolton Python 1 11-21-2003 09:10 PM

Advertisments