Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Extracting EXIF information

Extracting EXIF information

Rob G

I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
an attraction !

Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

Thanks

Rob

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob
G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
> nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
> data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
> application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

the best exif utility is exiftool:
<http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

there's a also gui version for windows at:
<http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm>

Art

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
>cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
>bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
>size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
>an attraction !
>
>Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
>nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
>data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
>application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Rob

You can view EXIF through most of the free programs available:
FastStone and Irfanview both let you open and read the EXIF data.

There are also some dedicated Exif readers that show EVERY field the
mfg wrote - however for a P&S the standard programs are usually a
complete listing.

Google is your friend finding any or all of these .

John Navas

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
>cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
>bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
>size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
>an attraction !
>
>Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
>nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
>data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
>application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

1.

PhotoME
http://www.photome.de/

2.

ExifTool
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

3.

<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/photoinfo.mspx>

Microsoft Photo Info enables easy editing of "metadata" for digital
photographs from inside Windows Explorer

Published: January 22, 2007

Microsoft Photo Info is a new software add-in for Microsoft Windows that
allows photographers to add, change and delete common "metadata"
properties for digital photographs from inside Windows Explorer. It also
provides enhanced "hover tips" and additional sort properties for
digital photographs in Explorer (in Details view).

Microsoft Photo Info runs on 32-bit versions of Windows XP (with Service
Pack 2 or later) and the Windows Vista operating systems.

Free download after Validation.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

jean

Exposure plot http://www.wega2.vandel.nl/ freeware is very interesting.

Jean

2c198e5f-5581-42a7-b85d-9cbce9f0db30...oglegroups.com...

snapper@mailinator.com

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
> cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
> bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
> size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
> an attraction !
>
> Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
> nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
> data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
> application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

Use Irfanview as your image viewer and hit "I" to view the data.

John Navas

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 07:14:55 +1100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
>> cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
>> bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
>> size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
>> an attraction !
>>
>> Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
>> nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
>> data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
>> application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

>Use Irfanview as your image viewer and hit "I" to view the data.

If you install the appropriate plug-in.
<http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm>

--

On 8 Feb, 20:14, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
> > cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
> > bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
> > size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
> > an attraction !

> > Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
> > nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
> > data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
> > application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

> Use Irfanview as your image viewer and hit "I" to view the data.

Thanks everyone - downloaded the Microsoft Photo Info program and
found it adequate for what I wanted.

Cheers
Rob

Art

THanks for the lead on the Microsoft tool. This is VERY handy for
quick checks and batch edits of JPGS before distribution.

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 17:35:49 GMT, John Navas
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
><(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
>>cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
>>bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
>>size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
>>an attraction !
>>
>>Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
>>nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
>>data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
>>application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

>1.
>
>PhotoME
>http://www.photome.de/
>
>2.
>
>ExifTool
>http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
>
>3.
>
><http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/photoinfo.mspx>
>
>Microsoft Photo Info enables easy editing of "metadata" for digital
>photographs from inside Windows Explorer
>
>Published: January 22, 2007
>
>Microsoft Photo Info is a new software add-in for Microsoft Windows that
>allows photographers to add, change and delete common "metadata"
>properties for digital photographs from inside Windows Explorer. It also
>provides enhanced "hover tips" and additional sort properties for
>digital photographs in Explorer (in Details view).
>
>Microsoft Photo Info runs on 32-bit versions of Windows XP (with Service
>Pack 2 or later) and the Windows Vista operating systems.
>
>Free download after Validation.

John Navas

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 05:49:43 -0700, Art
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>THanks for the lead on the Microsoft tool. This is VERY handy for
>quick checks and batch edits of JPGS before distribution.

You're welcome. Thanks for taking the time to say thanks.