Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ubuntu

ubuntu

PWB

I want to install ubuntu on a part of my NTSF hard Drive on a windows PC .
does anyone know a way that i can d/l programs for it and install them
please TIA

Aardvark

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 02:31:24 +0000, PWB wrote:

> I want to install ubuntu on a part of my NTSF hard Drive on a windows PC
> . does anyone know a way that i can d/l programs for it and install them
> please TIA

Go to www.ubuntu.com and download an ISO of the most recent version of
Ubuntu (or Kubuntu or Edubuntu). The present one is version 7.10 "Gutsy
Gibbon".

Burn the ISO to a CD then go to www.google.co.uk and search for 'dual
boot windows ubuntu'. Follow the instructions. Just about any software
you'll ever need will then be available from Ubuntu's software
repositories.

HTH.

--
Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
http://www.liverpool08.com

Gordon

PWB wrote:
> I want to install ubuntu on a part of my NTSF hard Drive on a windows PC .
> does anyone know a way that i can d/l programs for it and install them
> please TIA

Ubuntu will install automatically almost everything that the average
user needs. office suite, two or more email clients, two or more
browsers, burning software, media players, you name it, it's probably
there already.

english_dude@london.com

On 8 Feb, 08:12, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> PWB wrote:
> > I want to install ubuntu on a part of my NTSF hard Drive on a windows PC .
> > does anyone know a way that i can d/l programs for it and install them
> > please TIA

Linux is great - as long as you are not into multimedia e.g.
Photoshop, video editing, viewing movies in various formats, watching
You Tube, using a TV card etc.

I have tried dozens of distros and have never got Flash to work in any
of them (I think its a licensing problem - Flash + Windows have a
deal).

If you are going for a dual boot, make sure you know how to use the
Windows recovery console to fix the MBR for when when you decide to
delete Ubuntu, as the Grub bootloader can screw things up.

Also, in the Linux forums, the reply to a simple noob query is
normally half a page of baffling Unix-type code designed to make you
feel stupid for asking in the first place.

The only good bit of Linux code I've used is the Smoothwall Express 2
stand-alone firewall that can run on any old PC.

philo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 8 Feb, 08:12, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > PWB wrote:
> > > I want to install ubuntu on a part of my NTSF hard Drive on a windows

PC .
> > > does anyone know a way that i can d/l programs for it and install them
> > > please TIA

> Linux is great - as long as you are not into multimedia e.g.
> Photoshop, video editing, viewing movies in various formats, watching
> You Tube, using a TV card etc.
>
> I have tried dozens of distros and have never got Flash to work in any
> of them (I think its a licensing problem - Flash + Windows have a
> deal).
>
> If you are going for a dual boot, make sure you know how to use the
> Windows recovery console to fix the MBR for when when you decide to
> delete Ubuntu, as the Grub bootloader can screw things up.
>
> Also, in the Linux forums, the reply to a simple noob query is
> normally half a page of baffling Unix-type code designed to make you
> feel stupid for asking in the first place.
>
> The only good bit of Linux code I've used is the Smoothwall Express 2
> stand-alone firewall that can run on any old PC.

I still don't know why everyone seems to be going with Ubuntu.
I prefer PClinuxOS. At least it can handle web-page video without
having to hunt down add-ons

Aardvark

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 07:03:41 -0600, philo wrote:

Sorry, philo. Piggy-backing on your post because I didn't see
english_dude's GG post (ain't filters grand )

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> PC .
>> >

>> Linux is great - as long as you are not into multimedia e.g. Photoshop,
>> video editing, viewing movies in various formats, watching You Tube,
>> using a TV card etc.

I use both Mandriva and Ubuntu and have never had any problems with image
editing (The Gimp), viewing any video format (Mplayer et al.) or viewing
video on Youtube. Dunno about video editing or using a TV card but I'll
just make the assumption that these are both possible to achieve.

>> I have tried dozens of distros and have never got Flash to work in any
>> of them (I think its a licensing problem - Flash + Windows have a
>> deal).

To make Flash work it's as simple as visiting the Flash download page at
Macromedia, downloading the software and installing it. No different from
how you do it in Windows, in fact.

>> If you are going for a dual boot, make sure you know how to use the
>> Windows recovery console to fix the MBR for when when you decide to
>> delete Ubuntu, as the Grub bootloader can screw things up.

Or if you do decide (for some as yet unspecified reason) to delete Ubuntu
or whatever distro you decide on, it's as simple as editing a line or two
from your Grub 'menu.lst' file and then formatting any partitions it was
using from within Windows.

>> Also, in the Linux forums, the reply to a simple noob query is normally
>> half a page of baffling Unix-type code designed to make you feel stupid
>> for asking in the first place.

*******s! I've never found anyone in Linux fora or newsgroups to be
anything other than helpful. So long as it's clear that you've tried
doing your own research first. A bit like they are here in 24hshd.

>> The only good bit of Linux code I've used is the Smoothwall Express 2
>> stand-alone firewall that can run on any old PC.

Can't comment. Don't use it. Although Shorewall does the biz for me in an
acceptable fashion.

> I still don't know why everyone seems to be going with Ubuntu. I prefer
> PClinuxOS. At least it can handle web-page video without having to hunt
> down add-ons

Been thinking of trying PCLO. I'll be getting a couple of PC's at the end
of the month, so I might install it on one of those. I was going to keep
one as XP (I need one Windows system) and the other Ubuntu, but I'll do
PCLO instead.

--
Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
http://www.liverpool08.com

Dan C

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 02:54:19 -0800, english_dude wrote:

> Linux is great - as long as you are not into multimedia e.g.
> Photoshop, video editing, viewing movies in various formats, watching
> You Tube, using a TV card etc.

Hogwash. Linux does all those things perfectly.

> I have tried dozens of distros and have never got Flash to work in any
> of them (I think its a licensing problem - Flash + Windows have a
> deal).

Pure baloney. Installing Flash is trivial. Did you follow the
instructions?

> If you are going for a dual boot, make sure you know how to use the
> Windows recovery console to fix the MBR for when when you decide to
> delete Ubuntu, as the Grub bootloader can screw things up.

More likely he'll want to learn how to reformat the windoze partition to
ext3, so he can use it for storage from his Linux install, when he decides
to delete windoze.

http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/stfun00bsmallsz7.jpg

> The only good bit of Linux code I've used is the Smoothwall Express 2
> stand-alone firewall that can run on any old PC.

Smoothwall Express 3 has been out for quite some time now. Sounds like
you're pretty much behind the times, all around.

Get a clue. Here's a free one:

http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/cluepon.jpg

Grodon

Dan C wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 02:54:19 -0800, english_dude wrote:
>
>> Linux is great - as long as you are not into multimedia e.g.
>> Photoshop, video editing, viewing movies in various formats, watching
>> You Tube, using a TV card etc.

> Hogwash. Linux does all those things perfectly.

Nothing is prefect, particularly you.

>> I have tried dozens of distros and have never got Flash to work in any
>> of them (I think its a licensing problem - Flash + Windows have a
>> deal).

> Pure baloney. Installing Flash is trivial. Did you follow the
> instructions?

Your are trivial.

>> If you are going for a dual boot, make sure you know how to use the
>> Windows recovery console to fix the MBR for when when you decide to
>> delete Ubuntu, as the Grub bootloader can screw things up.

> More likely he'll want to learn how to reformat the windoze partition to
> ext3, so he can use it for storage from his Linux install, when he decides
> to delete windoze.

You got your finger on the pulse of the person? You can read the
person's mind?

>> Also, in the Linux forums, the reply to a simple noob query is
>> normally half a page of baffling Unix-type code designed to make you
>> feel stupid for asking in the first place.

> http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/stfun00bsmallsz7.jpg

Props?

>> The only good bit of Linux code I've used is the Smoothwall Express 2
>> stand-alone firewall that can run on any old PC.

> Smoothwall Express 3 has been out for quite some time now. Sounds like
> you're pretty much behind the times, all around.
>
> Get a clue. Here's a free one:
>
> http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/cluepon.jpg

Nothing but props in your life?

Dan is the ****. You have nice trick of pulling Linux out of your ass on
people, and that's tricky, easy. You need an enema

Dan C

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 09:50:35 -0500, Grodon wrote:

>>> Linux is great - as long as you are not into multimedia e.g.
>>> Photoshop, video editing, viewing movies in various formats, watching
>>> You Tube, using a TV card etc.

>> Hogwash. Linux does all those things perfectly.

> Nothing is prefect, particularly you.

Hogwash.

>>> I have tried dozens of distros and have never got Flash to work in any
>>> of them (I think its a licensing problem - Flash + Windows have a
>>> deal).

>> Pure baloney. Installing Flash is trivial. Did you follow the
>> instructions?

> Your are trivial.

You're retarded.

>>> If you are going for a dual boot, make sure you know how to use the
>>> Windows recovery console to fix the MBR for when when you decide to
>>> delete Ubuntu, as the Grub bootloader can screw things up.

>> More likely he'll want to learn how to reformat the windoze partition to
>> ext3, so he can use it for storage from his Linux install, when he decides
>> to delete windoze.

> You got your finger on the pulse of the person? You can read the
> person's mind?

Yes. I can read your "mind" too, and it's just empty pages.

**** off and die, punk.

Grodon

Dan C wrote:

>>> Hogwash. Linux does all those things perfectly.

>> Nothing is prefect, particularly you.

> Hogwash.

How?

>>> Pure baloney. Installing Flash is trivial. Did you follow the
>>> instructions?

>> Your are trivial.

> You're retarded.

How?

>>> More likely he'll want to learn how to reformat the windoze partition to
>>> ext3, so he can use it for storage from his Linux install, when he decides
>>> to delete windoze.

>> You got your finger on the pulse of the person? You can read the
>> person's mind?

> Yes. I can read your "mind" too, and it's just empty pages.

How?

> **** off and die, punk.

How?