Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > what's wrong with Sony? multi connector cables now?

what's wrong with Sony? multi connector cables now?

H.S.

Hi,

Just helping a friend understand his new Sony DSC-W55 digital camera. I
just realized that it doesn't come with the usual USB mini plug but with
a "multi connector" socket and a corresponding cable.

Why does Sony do that? Now one can't assume to use a friend's USB cable
at the friend's house ... one must make sure he has his own cable with
him. Why does Sony keep going against the common practices??

->HS

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "H.S." <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:2eeb1$47abae4d$4c0a84e3$(E-Mail Removed)-Free...
> Hi,
>
> Just helping a friend understand his new Sony DSC-W55 digital camera. I
> just realized that it doesn't come with the usual USB mini plug but with
> a "multi connector" socket and a corresponding cable.
>
> Why does Sony do that? Now one can't assume to use a friend's USB cable
> at the friend's house ... one must make sure he has his own cable with
> him. Why does Sony keep going against the common practices??

It's a long practice for Sony to use proprietary interfaces or proprietary
formats. Anybody over 30 must remember, the infamous beta video format, the
mini disc, the micro mv camcorder cassete, digital 8 and so on. Anyway, I
have both my camera's cable on the computer, and a USB card reader, FWIW....

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Sky465nm@trline5.org

H.S. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Just helping a friend understand his new Sony DSC-W55 digital camera. I
>just realized that it doesn't come with the usual USB mini plug but with
>a "multi connector" socket and a corresponding cable.

>Why does Sony do that? Now one can't assume to use a friend's USB cable
>at the friend's house ... one must make sure he has his own cable with
>him. Why does Sony keep going against the common practices??

SONY are your propietary overlords. Buy anything from them and suffer..
Peronsaly I check that new gadgets comply with standards, or they won't even
get ordered.

Just look how they implemented Linux on their Playstation. In some virtual
machine etc..

Another BS thrown these days is the refusal to give rescue discs with laptops.
So I just told them, fix discs or no deal.