Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Checking Security

Reply
Thread Tools

Checking Security

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?SmFjaw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2005
How can you check to see if you have adequate security on a network? I
installed a Linksys WRK54G router and WUSB54G adapters and I followed all the
suggestions for as far as Security and Encription and Pre-Shared key.

I ran a scan that Mcafee has available on their site and it tells me that I
an quite vulnerable. I probably don't have the password, SSID and Pre-Shared
key quite as "unique" as possible, but can be changed.

Here are the settings I have used: Security=WPA-PSK, Encryption=TKIP.
What else should I be doing, or is the Mcafee program just covering all bases?

Is there anyway else to check the security?

Thanks,
--
Jack
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
george
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2005
Try here;
ShieldsUp by Gibson Research https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

george

"Jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can you check to see if you have adequate security on a network? I
> installed a Linksys WRK54G router and WUSB54G adapters and I followed all
> the
> suggestions for as far as Security and Encription and Pre-Shared key.
>
> I ran a scan that Mcafee has available on their site and it tells me that
> I
> an quite vulnerable. I probably don't have the password, SSID and
> Pre-Shared
> key quite as "unique" as possible, but can be changed.
>
> Here are the settings I have used: Security=WPA-PSK, Encryption=TKIP.
> What else should I be doing, or is the Mcafee program just covering all
> bases?
>
> Is there anyway else to check the security?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Jack



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JE
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2005
Thanks George, I will take a look and THANKS!



"george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try here;
> ShieldsUp by Gibson Research https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
>
> george
>
> "Jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How can you check to see if you have adequate security on a network? I
>> installed a Linksys WRK54G router and WUSB54G adapters and I followed all
>> the
>> suggestions for as far as Security and Encription and Pre-Shared key.
>>
>> I ran a scan that Mcafee has available on their site and it tells me that
>> I
>> an quite vulnerable. I probably don't have the password, SSID and
>> Pre-Shared
>> key quite as "unique" as possible, but can be changed.
>>
>> Here are the settings I have used: Security=WPA-PSK, Encryption=TKIP.
>> What else should I be doing, or is the Mcafee program just covering all
>> bases?
>>
>> Is there anyway else to check the security?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Jack

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack \(MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2005
Hi
First bear in mind that though the same word Security is used to describe
secure Internet Connection and Secure Wireless there is No relation between
the two from a Computer functioning perspective.
Wireless Security has Nothing to do with securing the Internet Connection,
which is what GRC, and MacAfee security scanners Test.
Wireless is just a replacement for a Wire and thus can be intercepted by
people in the neighborhood attaching then self to your Signal and use your
LAN. To avoid Local Tapping there is Wireless Security measures . These
measures are unique the Wireless components, and have to be used even if
there is No Internet Connection.
Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
The Firewall/AntiVirus/AntiSpy applications are the one that protect the
Internet connection from being invaded, and preventing your LAN computers
from transmitting out to the Internet privileged information.
Each computer on your Network that has access to the Internet should have
its own Internet Connection protection regardless of whether you use Wire or
Wireless.
Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
In addition you should have tools available to clean your computers if they
get Infested with Internet "Junk".
Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html
Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk" - http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).



"JE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks George, I will take a look and THANKS!
>
>
>
> "george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Try here;
> > ShieldsUp by Gibson Research https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
> >
> > george
> >
> > "Jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> How can you check to see if you have adequate security on a network?

I
> >> installed a Linksys WRK54G router and WUSB54G adapters and I followed

all
> >> the
> >> suggestions for as far as Security and Encription and Pre-Shared key.
> >>
> >> I ran a scan that Mcafee has available on their site and it tells me

that
> >> I
> >> an quite vulnerable. I probably don't have the password, SSID and
> >> Pre-Shared
> >> key quite as "unique" as possible, but can be changed.
> >>
> >> Here are the settings I have used: Security=WPA-PSK, Encryption=TKIP.
> >> What else should I be doing, or is the Mcafee program just covering all
> >> bases?
> >>
> >> Is there anyway else to check the security?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> --
> >> Jack

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
JE
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2005
Thanks Jack.

This is the first I have ever used wireless and after doing everything I
have been advised to do and then running the McAfee WiFi scan they have
online, I got just a little paranoid. You have helped me out.

Thanks,
Jack


"Jack (MVP)" <Jack(MVP)@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> First bear in mind that though the same word Security is used to describe
> secure Internet Connection and Secure Wireless there is No relation
> between
> the two from a Computer functioning perspective.
> Wireless Security has Nothing to do with securing the Internet Connection,
> which is what GRC, and MacAfee security scanners Test.
> Wireless is just a replacement for a Wire and thus can be intercepted by
> people in the neighborhood attaching then self to your Signal and use your
> LAN. To avoid Local Tapping there is Wireless Security measures . These
> measures are unique the Wireless components, and have to be used even if
> there is No Internet Connection.
> Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> The Firewall/AntiVirus/AntiSpy applications are the one that protect the
> Internet connection from being invaded, and preventing your LAN computers
> from transmitting out to the Internet privileged information.
> Each computer on your Network that has access to the Internet should have
> its own Internet Connection protection regardless of whether you use Wire
> or
> Wireless.
> Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
> In addition you should have tools available to clean your computers if
> they
> get Infested with Internet "Junk".
> Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html
> Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk" - http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
>
>
> "JE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks George, I will take a look and THANKS!
>>
>>
>>
>> "george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Try here;
>> > ShieldsUp by Gibson Research https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
>> >
>> > george
>> >
>> > "Jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >> How can you check to see if you have adequate security on a network?

> I
>> >> installed a Linksys WRK54G router and WUSB54G adapters and I followed

> all
>> >> the
>> >> suggestions for as far as Security and Encription and Pre-Shared key.
>> >>
>> >> I ran a scan that Mcafee has available on their site and it tells me

> that
>> >> I
>> >> an quite vulnerable. I probably don't have the password, SSID and
>> >> Pre-Shared
>> >> key quite as "unique" as possible, but can be changed.
>> >>
>> >> Here are the settings I have used: Security=WPA-PSK, Encryption=TKIP.
>> >> What else should I be doing, or is the Mcafee program just covering
>> >> all
>> >> bases?
>> >>
>> >> Is there anyway else to check the security?
>> >>
>> >> Thanks,
>> >> --
>> >> Jack
>> >
>> >

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WSE3, SOAP:Fault a Security checking Ivan ASP .Net Web Services 0 03-28-2007 10:26 AM
Security Checking Software Daren Hawes ASP .Net 1 11-08-2005 12:18 AM
OT: Regarding checking emails in at work - crash security ;-) Annie Computer Security 10 05-20-2005 12:29 AM
IT-Security, Security, e-security COMSOLIT Messmer Computer Support 0 09-05-2003 08:34 AM
UNC Security permission checking Paul Riley ASP .Net 0 07-31-2003 09:52 AM



Advertisments