Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Need to set up a server that support ASP.NET

Need to set up a server that support ASP.NET

Mr. R

Hi

I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my home
and run on and off for demo projects. The problem is that I don't have then
money to by Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. I have tried to
install IIS but that doesn't help me at all. I have tried Apache and the
Mono projects tools which also fails. Tried Apache on both Linux and Windows
but both setups fails to support ASP.NET.

I cna create the hemepages (Webpages) using Visual Web Developer 2008 but I
can only run the Webpages started from Visual Studios the IDE that creates a
temporarilly localhost connection.

Can some one tell me how to set up a Webserver that supports ASP.NET. Do I
really need to install Windows 200x to be able to access ASP.NET.

Lars

Mark Rae [MVP]

"Mr. R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JVGqj.3561$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my home
> and run on and off for demo projects. I have tried to install IIS but that
> doesn't help me at all.

??? Can you be more specific? IIS is perfectly suited to running ASP.NET
apps - how can it "not help you at all"...?

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

darrel

> I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my home
> and run on and off for demo projects. The problem is that I don't have
> then money to by Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. I have tried
> to install IIS but that doesn't help me at all.

For XP, you need XP Pro to use IIS easily.

For Vista, I have no idea what edition you need, but I'm guessing the lesser
editions don't make managing IIS very easy.

> I have tried Apache and the Mono projects tools which also fails. Tried
> Apache on both Linux and Windows but both setups fails to support ASP.NET.

Apache, itself, can't run ASP.net

Mono Project is great, but, really, why bother with ASP.net if you want to
go the Open Source Route? ;0)

> Can some one tell me how to set up a Webserver that supports ASP.NET. Do I
> really need to install Windows 200x to be able to access ASP.NET.

For a 'real' server, then, yea, that's why MS sells Windows Server Operating
system. ;0)

That said, XP Pro should work for you. Let us know which OS you *are*
running and we can be of more help.

-Darrel

Mark Rae [MVP]

"darrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uVYYA%(E-Mail Removed)...

> For Vista, I have no idea what edition you need,

IIS7.

> but I'm guessing the lesser editions don't make managing IIS very easy.

Couldn't be simpler:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...52&q=Vista+IIS

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

Mark Fitzpatrick

Why not get a shared hosting account? You can get hosting with SQL Server
for $17 a month over at CrystalTech. If all you're doing is creating
projects and demonstrating them, CrystalTech has an account for only $2.95 a
month (http://www.crystaltech.com/developershared.aspx) that offers most of
the features you could want form demoing a site.

Bottom line though, if you're unfamiliar with IIS, and setting up a web
server it's best not to do it at home as you don't know all the security
issues involved especially if you want to open the server up to show to
outside parties.

--
Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick

"Mr. R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JVGqj.3561$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my home
> and run on and off for demo projects. The problem is that I don't have
> then money to by Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. I have tried
> to install IIS but that doesn't help me at all. I have tried Apache and
> the Mono projects tools which also fails. Tried Apache on both Linux and
> Windows but both setups fails to support ASP.NET.
>
> I cna create the hemepages (Webpages) using Visual Web Developer 2008 but
> I can only run the Webpages started from Visual Studios the IDE that
> creates a temporarilly localhost connection.
>
> Can some one tell me how to set up a Webserver that supports ASP.NET. Do I
> really need to install Windows 200x to be able to access ASP.NET.
>
> Lars

Mr. R

"darrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:uVYYA%(E-Mail Removed)...

>> I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my
>> home
>> and run on and off for demo projects. The problem is that I don't have
>> then money to by Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. I have tried
>> to install IIS but that doesn't help me at all.

> For XP, you need XP Pro to use IIS easily.

Doesn't help me I have tried. Using XP Pro. Can it have some thing to do
with the fact that I'm used a very old install CD for XP. Doens't even
include SP1. But of course I have installed SP1, SP2, IE7 and all available
updates. But when I add IIS to the system it asks for the XP Install CD that
I bought 2001. Doesn't help running WIndows Update either. Do I need a newer
XP Pro install CD? I do have the license.

> For Vista, I have no idea what edition you need, but I'm guessing the
> lesser editions don't make managing IIS very easy.

Don't use Vista on my machines since it doesn't support good Audio devices
or Cubase (yet).

>> I have tried Apache and the Mono projects tools which also fails. Tried
>> Apache on both Linux and Windows but both setups fails to support
>> ASP.NET.

> Apache, itself, can't run ASP.net
>
> Mono Project is great, but, really, why bother with ASP.net if you want to
> go the Open Source Route? ;0)

Have to create some ASP.NET pages for referens purpose only.

ASP.NET webpages are hot where I live and I need assignments. It's not up to
me it's up to my clients.

>> Can some one tell me how to set up a Webserver that supports ASP.NET. Do
>> I really need to install Windows 200x to be able to access ASP.NET.

> For a 'real' server, then, yea, that's why MS sells Windows Server
> Operating system. ;0)

Maybe that's why so many use Linux as Webservers?

> That said, XP Pro should work for you. Let us know which OS you *are*
> running and we can be of more help.

XP Pro. The machine came with XP Home but I think I reinstalled using XP Pro
last fall. Any how the Add/Remoev Programs showed that I can add ISS.

How do I access and edit IIS. Can I access ISS from outside a firewall
supposing I open port 80 on the firewall D-Link-604. Sure IIS is installed
and updated with .NET 1.1 but what about .NET 2.0? isn't that the latest
version. And where the *#* is it I don't see it on my Desktop, Control
Panel, Program Menu or any where.

Lars

> -Darrel

Mark Rae [MVP]

"Mr. R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%sIqj.3569$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Don't use Vista on my machines since it doesn't support good Audio devices
> or Cubase (yet).

Cubase has been available for Vista since last October:
http://www.steinberg.net/1044+M52087573ab0.html

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

darrel

>> For Vista, I have no idea what edition you need,
>
> IIS7.

Er, I meant to say which edition of VISTA one needs to make running a web
server viable. Do all versions of Vista support IIS?

-Darrel

darrel

> Doesn't help me I have tried. Using XP Pro. Can it have some thing to do
> with the fact that I'm used a very old install CD for XP. Doens't even
> include SP1. But of course I have installed SP1, SP2, IE7 and all
> available updates. But when I add IIS to the system it asks for the XP
> Install CD that I bought 2001. Doesn't help running WIndows Update either.
> Do I need a newer XP Pro install CD? I do have the license.

Well, it wouldn't hurt.

What specific problem are you having? XP Pro should have IIS already
installed. At that point, you should just have to install the .net framework
and be up and running.

> Maybe that's why so many use Linux as Webservers?

Well, if you're a web developer, and serious about .net, then I'd suggest
you dive in and get an MSDN subscription to all the developer apps/OSes.

IMHO, ASP.net is one of those things you either go 'all in' with or you just
don't. If you're all in, get Windows server license, Visual Studo Pro
license, MS SQL license, etc.

> How do I access and edit IIS. Can I access ISS from outside a firewall
> supposing I open port 80 on the firewall D-Link-604. Sure IIS is installed
> and updated with .NET 1.1 but what about .NET 2.0? isn't that the latest
> version. And where the *#* is it I don't see it on my Desktop, Control
> Panel, Program Menu or any where.

IIS = MY COMPUTER >> MANAGE >> SERVICES >> IIS

Asp.net frameworks show up under ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE control panel.

-Darrel

Larry Bud

On Feb 7, 12:07*pm, "Mr. R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to set up a server that supports ASP.NET. I will have it in my home
> and run on and off for demo projects. The problem is that I don't have then
> money to by Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. I have tried to
> install IIS but that doesn't help me at all.

XP Pro, install IIS, then install the .net framework.