Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't share files or printer

Can't share files or printer

tad1073

On my xp machine, when I mark a folder as shared it does not show up in "M
yNetwork Places" attached is my original post. Come on people, give me a hand.
--
| Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
| Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
Card |

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Do this command: net share. Post back with the result.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"tad1073" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On my xp machine, when I mark a folder as shared it does not show up in "M
> yNetwork Places" attached is my original post. Come on people, give me a
> hand.
> --
> | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
> Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
> | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
> Card |

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"tad1073" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On my xp machine, when I mark a folder as shared it does not show up in "M
> yNetwork Places" attached is my original post. Come on people, give me a
> hand.
> --
> | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
> Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
> | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
> Card |

tad1073

I've managed to get files shared from xp to ubuntu. Now for my next problem.
I can't access the network printer which is connected to the xp machine. I
don't know if my cupsys or smb configuration files are set-up correctly for
printing to a network printer or maybe it is the gutenprint drivers, I just
don't know.

Here is the out-put of net share.

print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
Printer Drivers
IPC$ Remote IPC
FancyFelineR C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\Fancy Feline Rescue of
he South
Fancy Feline Rescue of the South
MyPictures C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\My Pictures
Mom's Pictures
SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS

Tad C:\Documents and Settings\Tad
CanonMP780FA USB002 Spooled Canon MP780 FAX
CanonMP780Se USB001 Spooled Canon MP780 Series Printer
CAPTUREFAXBV Spooled CAPTURE FAX BVRP share created by
Printer LPT1: Spooled Quicken PDF Printer
Printer3 LPT1: Spooled HP DeskJet 550C
--

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do this command: net share. Post back with the result.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "tad1073" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On my xp machine, when I mark a folder as shared it does not show up in "M
> > yNetwork Places" attached is my original post. Come on people, give me a
> > hand.
> > --
> > | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
> > Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
> > | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
> > Card |

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

We had a case like this one. Make sure the share name is not too long. This
post may help. Please post back with the result.

need help for network printinghave a wired network 2 desktops to a router.
desktop "a" running windows 98 with the printer connected desktop "b" RUN
WINDOWS XP no printer. had set up ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...aa9069d9b6b5b5

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"tad1073" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've managed to get files shared from xp to ubuntu. Now for my next
> problem.
> I can't access the network printer which is connected to the xp machine. I
> don't know if my cupsys or smb configuration files are set-up correctly
> for
> printing to a network printer or maybe it is the gutenprint drivers, I
> just
> don't know.
>
> Here is the out-put of net share.

> print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
> Printer Drivers
> IPC$ Remote IPC
> FancyFelineR C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\Fancy Feline
> Rescue of
> he South
> Fancy Feline Rescue of the
> South
> MyPictures C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\My Pictures
> Mom's Pictures
> SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
>
> Tad C:\Documents and Settings\Tad
> CanonMP780FA USB002 Spooled Canon MP780 FAX
> CanonMP780Se USB001 Spooled Canon MP780 Series Printer
> CAPTUREFAXBV Spooled CAPTURE FAX BVRP share
> created by
> Printer LPT1: Spooled Quicken PDF Printer
> Printer3 LPT1: Spooled HP DeskJet 550C
> --
> | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
> Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
> | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
> Card |
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Do this command: net share. Post back with the result.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "tad1073" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > On my xp machine, when I mark a folder as shared it does not show up in
>> > "M
>> > yNetwork Places" attached is my original post. Come on people, give me
>> > hand.
>> > --
>> > Gutsy
>> > Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
>> > Ethernet
>> > Card |

tad1073

I have tried everthing but nothing seems to work. Also when I try to access
to "View Workgroup Cpmputers" I get an error message stating:

"Mshome is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network
resource. Contack the administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

I get this message even when I have my ubuntu box turned on. I tried to ping
ubuntu but the request timed out. any suggestions?

--

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> We had a case like this one. Make sure the share name is not too long. This
> post may help. Please post back with the result.
>
> need help for network printinghave a wired network 2 desktops to a router.
> desktop "a" running windows 98 with the printer connected desktop "b" RUN
> WINDOWS XP no printer. had set up ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...aa9069d9b6b5b5
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "tad1073" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've managed to get files shared from xp to ubuntu. Now for my next
> > problem.
> > I can't access the network printer which is connected to the xp machine. I
> > don't know if my cupsys or smb configuration files are set-up correctly
> > for
> > printing to a network printer or maybe it is the gutenprint drivers, I
> > just
> > don't know.
> >
> > Here is the out-put of net share.

> > print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
> > Printer Drivers
> > IPC$ Remote IPC
> > FancyFelineR C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\Fancy Feline
> > Rescue of
> > he South
> > Fancy Feline Rescue of the
> > South
> > MyPictures C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\My Pictures
> > Mom's Pictures
> > SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
> >
> > Tad C:\Documents and Settings\Tad
> > CanonMP780FA USB002 Spooled Canon MP780 FAX
> > CanonMP780Se USB001 Spooled Canon MP780 Series Printer
> > CAPTUREFAXBV Spooled CAPTURE FAX BVRP share
> > created by
> > Printer LPT1: Spooled Quicken PDF Printer
> > Printer3 LPT1: Spooled HP DeskJet 550C
> > --
> > | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
> > Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
> > | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
> > Card |
> >

> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Do this command: net share. Post back with the result.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >>

> >> "tad1073" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

tad1073

I did "net view \\myipaddress" and it returned access denied. Somebody give
me some good information.