Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What's the better way to contact Chinese restaurant owner?

What's the better way to contact Chinese restaurant owner?

Bread Kong

Hi,

I am a postgraduate student of Tsinghua University and major in
Information System. Our team are trying to finish a project related to
Beijing Olympic Game 2008. The project's goal is to figure out and
show the differences for Chinese food between native China and western
counties. As you know, when in Rome do as Romans do, Chinese food does
the same in your country. For example, in Unite States, even though
the same dish, compare to the one in native China, they are different,
maybe totally different taste. There are some popular Chinese food
dishes in U.S. but you cannot find in China. And more interesting,
something maybe caused by custom and culture, as you know, almost in
every America Chinese restaurant, they will give you the fortune
cookie after you had meal. But nobody knows such thing in China.
Actually, this is our project on research to know how many of them
between our Chinese food and yours.

Our mission is to help more and more people to know the culture of
China via Chinese food whatever they are coming to Beijing for Olympic
Game 2008 or not. And this is also a way to let our people learn the
world outside.

After some research work, we came out this idea to contact Chinese
restaurant's owner (or Chef) in U.S.. We think they should know such
differences very well since they do business in the different world
market. And they still keep in traditional way to cook for them self.
So far, there are many problems needed to solve. Ex. We have almost 12
hours difference in time zone. So it's hard to phone those
restaurant's owner from Beijing China and cost is high too. We have
searched for their e-mail address from Internet. Unfortunately, 99% of
them don't have it or unavailable.

We hope we can collect 1000 samples to the date to finish done with
the project. So this is why I post here looking for help. Any
suggestion or information will be very appreciate. Or if you can list
your favorite Chinese food for us will be also big help for our
research.

Thanks in advance and happy Chinese New Year here!

BTW, you can contact via http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) or
(E-Mail Removed), Gmail is preferred since it's easier to manage.

Bread

Rita Berkowitz

Bread Kong wrote:

> I am a postgraduate student of Tsinghua University and major in
> Information System. Our team are trying to finish a project related to
> Beijing Olympic Game 2008. The project's goal is to figure out and
> show the differences for Chinese food between native China and western
> counties. As you know, when in Rome do as Romans do, Chinese food does
> the same in your country. For example, in Unite States, even though
> the same dish, compare to the one in native China, they are different,
> maybe totally different taste. There are some popular Chinese food
> dishes in U.S. but you cannot find in China. And more interesting,
> something maybe caused by custom and culture, as you know, almost in
> every America Chinese restaurant, they will give you the fortune
> cookie after you had meal. But nobody knows such thing in China.
> Actually, this is our project on research to know how many of them
> between our Chinese food and yours.

Here in the States we rate our Chinese restaurants by several indicators.
The first one is to always look at their dumpsters and nearby. The first
indicator of a crappy Chinese restaurant is you will find at least one 50Kg
cardboard drum of MSG. You will never find food scraps in the dumpster as
the leftovers are scraped off the plates and resold. A low dog and cat
population is also an indicator. And chicken is not a "red meat" in the
States as it is in China.

Rita

Mr. G D Geen

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Bread Kong wrote:
>
>> I am a postgraduate student of Tsinghua University and major in
>> Information System. Our team are trying to finish a project related to
>> Beijing Olympic Game 2008. The project's goal is to figure out and
>> show the differences for Chinese food between native China and western
>> counties. As you know, when in Rome do as Romans do, Chinese food does
>> the same in your country. For example, in Unite States, even though
>> the same dish, compare to the one in native China, they are different,
>> maybe totally different taste. There are some popular Chinese food
>> dishes in U.S. but you cannot find in China. And more interesting,
>> something maybe caused by custom and culture, as you know, almost in
>> every America Chinese restaurant, they will give you the fortune
>> cookie after you had meal. But nobody knows such thing in China.
>> Actually, this is our project on research to know how many of them
>> between our Chinese food and yours.

> Here in the States we rate our Chinese restaurants by several indicators.
> The first one is to always look at their dumpsters and nearby. The first
> indicator of a crappy Chinese restaurant is you will find at least one 50Kg
> cardboard drum of MSG. You will never find food scraps in the dumpster as
> the leftovers are scraped off the plates and resold. A low dog and cat
> population is also an indicator. And chicken is not a "red meat" in the
> States as it is in China.
>

> Rita

The fortune cookie is a uniquely American invention. It was developed
in San Diego in the mid to late 1800 during the gold rush. Why is still
a mystery.

-G

Mr. G D Geen

Mr. G D Geen wrote:
> Rita Berkowitz wrote:
>> Bread Kong wrote:
>>
>>> I am a postgraduate student of Tsinghua University and major in
>>> Information System. Our team are trying to finish a project related to
>>> Beijing Olympic Game 2008. The project's goal is to figure out and
>>> show the differences for Chinese food between native China and western
>>> counties. As you know, when in Rome do as Romans do, Chinese food does
>>> the same in your country. For example, in Unite States, even though
>>> the same dish, compare to the one in native China, they are different,
>>> maybe totally different taste. There are some popular Chinese food
>>> dishes in U.S. but you cannot find in China. And more interesting,
>>> something maybe caused by custom and culture, as you know, almost in
>>> every America Chinese restaurant, they will give you the fortune
>>> cookie after you had meal. But nobody knows such thing in China.
>>> Actually, this is our project on research to know how many of them
>>> between our Chinese food and yours.

>> Here in the States we rate our Chinese restaurants by several indicators.
>> The first one is to always look at their dumpsters and nearby. The first
>> indicator of a crappy Chinese restaurant is you will find at least one
>> 50Kg
>> cardboard drum of MSG. You will never find food scraps in the
>> dumpster as
>> the leftovers are scraped off the plates and resold. A low dog and cat
>> population is also an indicator. And chicken is not a "red meat" in the
>> States as it is in China.
>>

>> Rita
>>

> The fortune cookie is a uniquely American invention. It was developed
> in San Diego in the mid to late 1800 during the gold rush. Why is still
> a mystery.
>
> -G

Oops, that should be San Francisco. Got San Diego on the mind for some
reason. -G

stu7seven@gmail.com

err... well, in fact, there is one chinese restaurant I frequent...
so, even though this isn't originally a photo related question,
I, as a photographer, can relate to it(!).
Sounds like an interesting project... but really I think
it would be better to compare, say, the way "chinese" is
prepared in Japanese cities... or other asian places... only
because, in US restaurants, the chinese basically ends at
the sign and decor... the restaurant I like serves pizza...
hotdogs wrapped in bisquits... on and on... the one vaguely
chinese dish I like is the "general something's" chicken...
basically, your chicken wings basted in honey sauce.
The fish makes me ill, though I do like, also, the
corn with shrimp.

I doubt this will help, but again it will probably be
better to survey in places where they keep more closely
to chinese food standards ?

Good luck.

Charles

Have no idea why you posted here but my favorites are egg drop soup and egg
rolls.

Floyd L. Davidson

"Mr. G D Geen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Mr. G D Geen wrote:
>> The fortune cookie is a uniquely American invention.
>> It was developed in San Diego in the mid to late 1800
>> during the gold rush. Why is still a mystery.
>> -G

>Oops, that should be San Francisco. Got San Diego on the mind for some
>reason. -G

Regardless, you didn't get anything about it right.

For a long time it was claimed that Fortune Cookies
originated in either Los Angeles or San Francisco, but
the earliest dates are just after 1900.

However, there are pictures from Japan made in the
1870's of a bakery making Fortune Cookies. And there
are references in a Japanese book published in the first
half of the 1800's that describe them.

Rather clearly the idea came to the US from Japan.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) (E-Mail Removed)

Robert Coe

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 18:56:58 -0500, "Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
:
: Have no idea why you posted here but my favorites are egg drop soup and egg
: rolls.

Mine are noodles with hot peanut sauce and shrimp with rice and pea pods.

Bob

Paul Furman

Bread Kong wrote:

> We hope we can collect 1000 samples to the date to finish done with
> the project. So this is why I post here looking for help. Any
> suggestion or information will be very appreciate. Or if you can list
> your favorite Chinese food for us will be also big help for our
> research.

Take a look at the reviews here: http://www.yelp.com/c/sf/chinese
People describe their favorites.

Bread Kong

On Feb 8, 1:02*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> err... well, in fact, there is onechineserestaurant I frequent...
> so, even though this isn't originally a photo related question,
> I, as a photographer, can relate to it(!).
> * * *Sounds like an interesting project... but really I think
> it would be better to compare, say, the way "chinese" is
> prepared in Japanese cities... or other asian places... only
> because, in US restaurants, thechinesebasically ends at
> the sign and decor... the restaurant I like serves pizza...
> hotdogs wrapped in bisquits... on and on... the one vaguelychinesedish I like is the "general something's" chicken...
> basically, your chicken wings basted in honey sauce.
> * * *The fish makes me ill, though I do like, also, the
> corn with shrimp.
>
> * * *I doubt this will help, but again it will probably be
> better to survey in places where they keep more closely
> tochinesefood standards ?
>
> * * *Good luck.

Thanks for the information and comment. Actually, I have no idea where
I can put this post since this is very widely topic and everyone has
it own experience for Chinese food. We are gathering people's reply
and comment to figure out what we can do next. Thanks again.

restaurant table booking system asp.net csgraham74 ASP .Net 0 07-24-2008 01:43 PM
Odd notebook behavior at restaurant Winston Computer Information 8 06-15-2008 09:28 AM
Restaurant+asp.net+palmtop Paulo ASP .Net 4 05-23-2008 09:21 PM
Restaurant application Tony Java 2 02-24-2006 04:10 PM
Excel Restaurant programs. =?Utf-8?B?Ymp0ajAx?= Microsoft Certification 1 05-02-2005 03:02 PM

Advertisments