Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > visual inheritance of web form

visual inheritance of web form

varun

hello friends,

i have been developing an application in asp.net.

i want to inherit a web page on all other web pages of
my application.

i took a form and callded it mybaseform1.

then i took another form, say webform1, and tried to
inherit
mybaseform1 with this page in its codebehind file as
follows.

public class webform1
inherits mybaseform1

end class

i observed that this does not work in asp.net for web forms
but it works very well form windows forms.

so how can i achieve this ?

please help me in this matter.

thank you.

dave wanta

check out the master pages in the control gallery. If you are going to use a
technique, that's the one to use.

hth,
Dave
www.aspnetemail.com

"varun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:01a801c342dd$8fd655a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello friends,
>
> i have been developing an application in asp.net.
>
> i want to inherit a web page on all other web pages of
> my application.
>
> i took a form and callded it mybaseform1.
>
> then i took another form, say webform1, and tried to
> inherit
> mybaseform1 with this page in its codebehind file as
> follows.
>
> public class webform1
> inherits mybaseform1
>
> end class
>

> i observed that this does not work in asp.net for web forms
> but it works very well form windows forms.
>
> so how can i achieve this ?
>
> please help me in this matter.
>
> thank you.

dave wanta

btw, I'm not saying master pages are necessarily better (especially compared
to some of the 3rd party products), its just that it might help you a year
or two from now.

hth,
Dave
www.aspNetEmail.com

"dave wanta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> check out the master pages in the control gallery. If you are going to use

> technique, that's the one to use.
>
> hth,
> Dave
> www.aspnetemail.com
>

> "varun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:01a801c342dd$8fd655a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hello friends,
> >
> > i have been developing an application in asp.net.
> >
> > i want to inherit a web page on all other web pages of
> > my application.
> >
> > i took a form and callded it mybaseform1.
> >
> > then i took another form, say webform1, and tried to
> > inherit
> > mybaseform1 with this page in its codebehind file as
> > follows.
> >
> > public class webform1
> > inherits mybaseform1
> >
> > end class
> >

> > i observed that this does not work in asp.net for web forms
> > but it works very well form windows forms.
> >
> > so how can i achieve this ?
> >
> > please help me in this matter.
> >
> > thank you.

varun varun

Hi dave,

i found your answer too short to understand.

can you explore it a bit ?

where are control gallery ?

what are master pages ?

plase help me here if you can.

thank you.

dave wanta

Hi,
no prob!
here you go:

http://www.asp.net/ControlGallery/Co...385&tabindex=2

Cheers!
Dave
www.aspNetEmail.com

"varun varun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi dave,
>
> i found your answer too short to understand.
>
> can you explore it a bit ?
>
> where are control gallery ?
>
> what are master pages ?
>
> plase help me here if you can.
>
> thank you.

varun varun

hi dave,

i found that there is a problem with masterpages.

let me first tell you that i use visual studio.net
enterprise edition.

i opened a new web application ,say webapplication1, at its
default location in wwwroot directory.

then i tried to unzip masterpages into the folder
webapplication1.

then i ran mk.dll but nothing happened.

i could not run the application and see what is exactly happening.

also, i found that this version of masterpages is in C#.

firstly, i am a poor developer in vb.net.

so C# is just too tough for me.

so if possible, try to provide me vb.net version of the
same code.

also if you can, dictacte the exact stpes to follow to
accomplish successful running of this code.

so please help me in this matter.

thank you.