Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Spider!

Re: Spider!

Rita Berkowitz

MJW wrote:

> I found this little beastie the other day while smashing up an old
> cupboard. "Rita" will like this cause he/she seems to be fixated on
> Mark's spider pics!

No, I'm not fixated with the "Master's" spider pics. I'm just striving to
be such a world renowned photographer as he. Though this one isn't as good
as Mark's, I'll post it anyway.

<http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/upsidedown.htm>

> For Rita, I would love to see some pics of what the fabulous Nikon
> gear you have takes of similar subjects, in the meantime, here is
> what the humble 350D can do....

Not bad, but a little blurry. You might want to get a macro lens or
diopter.

Well, I have a long way to go to be able to compete with these classics.

<http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/huntsman.jpg>

<http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/web.jpg>

Rita

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

On Feb 7, 9:43 pm, "Rita Berkowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Though this one isn't as good
> as Mark's, I'll post it anyway.

Why this (presumably sarcastic) comment, Rita? - still hot and
bothered? Or are you serious now? If so, thanks!

> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/upsidedown.htm>

At last, what *appears* to be a seriously posted image.. But then you
have suggested many times that you would *never* do that - so do we
believe you now, then.. or never? Frankly, the frequent protestations
that you will never post good stuff, just sounds exactly like someone
who is *very* insecure about their craft/hobby. Hmm, that reminds me
of someone else.. (O;

Does criticism really bother you that much that you have to offer
these excuses? Just take it on the chin and *learn* from it.

Anyway, this is a reasonable image, but not great - your comments on
that page are correct. The washed out background means there is no
web, which means that not only is there a lack of context, there is
also the missing connection to the stored food parcels - it just looks
like two images pasted on. The only thing worse than photoshopping is
something that *looks* like it is..
At least those parcels lead towards the subject, so that is good. Was
this taken indoors? Was there no way to change the lighting or return
at a different time of day? And you are right about the foreground
spots - they don't look good and should have been cloned out, or...
heaven forbid that you interfere with nature, but spiders do
frequently rebuild their webs.. so gently moving a couple of strands
out of the way wouldn't have been the end of the world for him/her...

> Well, I have a long way to go to be able to compete with these classics.

There she goes again... But thanks - I'll take the comment as
serious. The funny thing is that I don't mind:
> <http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/huntsman.jpg
>
> <http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/web.jpg>

...them being reposted. They don't embarrass me, and I'm actually
happy to get criticism - imagine that, Rita!
I'll always listen to *considered* criticism. (I tend to ignore
comments like "they suck". The *next* critiquer will probably be a
little more sophisticated...)

Note that unlike Rita, I don't make excuses for them, nor do I feel a
desperate need to accompany every image I post with a lengthy
explanation of why it all went wrong. Yes, they've got problems.. but
others can point those out if they wish.

It does seem strange (ok, now I'm being sarcastic) that Rita seems
perfectly able to criticise/analyse that image of her own, despite her
incredible reticence to do so when she is having a go at people she
appears to dislike...

Gee, I wish I understood why that was...
(end sarcasm)

I'll be back later with some more serious spider pic's, but don't hold
your breath - my film scanner is having a fit tonight.

(However, unlike Doug, I *will* come back..)

Rita Berkowitz

>> Though this one isn't as good
>> as Mark's, I'll post it anyway.

> Why this (presumably sarcastic) comment, Rita? - still hot and
> bothered? Or are you serious now? If so, thanks!
>
>> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/upsidedown.htm>

> At last, what *appears* to be a seriously posted image.. But then you
> have suggested many times that you would *never* do that - so do we
> believe you now, then.. or never? Frankly, the frequent protestations
> that you will never post good stuff, just sounds exactly like someone
> who is *very* insecure about their craft/hobby. Hmm, that reminds me
> of someone else.. (O;

It's just a simple repost of a hardware test I posted here last year. I
make no claims of it being good or bad as that wasn't its purpose. It is
more than adequate to satisfy the targeted audience. Why would I be
"insecure about my craft/hobby" when I'm having such a great time with it?
Guess what? My pics don't even have to be good for me to be blessed with
all the joy I'm getting. Unlike you, I have no mission to impress or garner
praise or admiration from a few insignificant Usenet dwellers.

> Does criticism really bother you that much that you have to offer
> these excuses? Just take it on the chin and *learn* from it.

Not at all. Good and bad criticism is always welcome from people that have
earned the right and respect to make such efforts by having credibility and
are able to demonstrate they have the skills to back up their critique; you
have demonstrated you have none of the qualifications. So your opinions
hold the same value, none at all, whether you say my pictures are great or
they totally suck.

Rita

MJW

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> MJW wrote:
>
> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/upsidedown.htm>

I like the colours & patterns!

--
>>>M.J.Wyllie.<<<

Rita Berkowitz

MJW wrote:

>> MJW wrote:
>>
>> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/upsidedown.htm>
>>

> I like the colours & patterns!

It was a cool looking spider. The amazing part is it was small enough were
you don't see all these colors and patterns till after you take the shot.
That's why I always find macro such a joy and treat.

Rita

Phred

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Rita Berkowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>MJW wrote:
>
>>> MJW wrote:
>>>
>>> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/upsidedown.htm>
>>>

>> I like the colours & patterns!

>It was a cool looking spider. The amazing part is it was small enough were
>you don't see all these colors and patterns till after you take the shot.
>That's why I always find macro such a joy and treat.

I've found a similar effect with the extreme telephoto setting on my
DiMAGE Z10. For example, some time ago I took a photo of a
basidiomycete cap in the grass between my feet and when I came to
inspect the image on-screen I found I could see the hairs on the leaf
margins of the grass that I couldn't see from standing eye height.

Cheers, Phred.

--
(E-Mail Removed)LID