Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Powertoys

Powertoys

msnews.microsoft.com

Hello guys
I recently update my system (i have in my home for private use a AMD Athon64
3200+ 1,5 Gb of RAM) running WinXP sp2 EN-US(64bits)
I like it, but i don't understand why a lot of softwares include the famous
"Power Toys for Windows Xp" get error at the end of install process with a
message:

"The Powertoys require Windows XP or a service pack. They will not function
on a version of Windows earlier or later than Windows XP"

I hate that,because i love some powertoys in particular:

1# MSVDM - Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager (although old, he is
exellent but only few people nowing...)

2# CMD here

Sometimes i'm think in go back to comfort and vesatility of this tools in
WinXP 32bits O.S. ...

I sent this mesage being for help in solve this problem.

Please Help-ME and Reply

Stefan Pendl

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 00:36:31 -0300, "msnews.microsoft.com"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello guys
>I recently update my system (i have in my home for private use a AMD Athon64
>3200+ 1,5 Gb of RAM) running WinXP sp2 EN-US(64bits)
>I like it, but i don't understand why a lot of softwares include the famous
>"Power Toys for Windows Xp" get error at the end of install process with a
>message:
>
>"The Powertoys require Windows XP or a service pack. They will not function
>on a version of Windows earlier or later than Windows XP"
>
>I hate that,because i love some powertoys in particular:
>
> 1# MSVDM - Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager (although old, he is
>exellent but only few people nowing...)
>
> 2# CMD here
>
>Sometimes i'm think in go back to comfort and vesatility of this tools in
>WinXP 32bits O.S. ...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...s/default.mspx
lists all powertoys versions, there is none listed for Windows XP x64
Edition.
There are other Virtual Desktop managers around, which are working on
WinXP x64, http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/ or
http://www.codeplex.com/vdm

---
Stefan Pendl

Tony Sperling

What Stefan says is true - anything that incorporates driver-like code
(often things that poke around in the system internals) will not work in
32bit - it must be compiled directly for the platform. Having said that, I
believe there are tools out there that is doing most of the things you are
looking for. Right now, the name escapes me!

http://www.planetamd64.com/

This used to be a great resource for things like that, look through the
downloads section and see if you cannot find it, you may have to register as
a member (this is [was] free).

Tony. . .

"msnews.microsoft.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello guys
> I recently update my system (i have in my home for private use a AMD
> Athon64
> 3200+ 1,5 Gb of RAM) running WinXP sp2 EN-US(64bits)
> I like it, but i don't understand why a lot of softwares include the
> famous
> "Power Toys for Windows Xp" get error at the end of install process with a
> message:
>
> "The Powertoys require Windows XP or a service pack. They will not
> function
> on a version of Windows earlier or later than Windows XP"
>
> I hate that,because i love some powertoys in particular:
>
> 1# MSVDM - Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager (although old, he
> is
> exellent but only few people nowing...)
>
> 2# CMD here
>
> Sometimes i'm think in go back to comfort and vesatility of this tools in
> WinXP 32bits O.S. ...
>
> I sent this mesage being for help in solve this problem.
>
> Please Help-ME and Reply

Carlos

Hi,
For CMD here, go to:
http://www.petri.co.il/add_command_p...s_explorer.htm
There's a nice tutorial and several methods to achieve it.
Particularly, method 5 is very similar to what the "old" cmdhere powertoy did.
Carlos

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Hello guys
> I recently update my system (i have in my home for private use a AMD Athon64
> 3200+ 1,5 Gb of RAM) running WinXP sp2 EN-US(64bits)
> I like it, but i don't understand why a lot of softwares include the famous
> "Power Toys for Windows Xp" get error at the end of install process with a
> message:
>
> "The Powertoys require Windows XP or a service pack. They will not function
> on a version of Windows earlier or later than Windows XP"
>
> I hate that,because i love some powertoys in particular:
>
> 1# MSVDM - Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager (although old, he is
> exellent but only few people nowing...)
>
> 2# CMD here
>
> Sometimes i'm think in go back to comfort and vesatility of this tools in
> WinXP 32bits O.S. ...
>
> I sent this mesage being for help in solve this problem.
>
> Please Help-ME and Reply

Tony Sperling

That's right, Carlos! This is bound to be the way to get it? And I haven't
been visiting PAMD since they were brought down!

(No hard feelings for that, though.)

Tony. . .

Carlos

Tony,
Not necessarily.
I am at work and don't have the link, but the "old" cmdhere.inf file for XP,
applies also to XP x64.
I think it is a matter of googling and it will eventually show up.
Gotta go to a meeting now.
Bye.
Carlos