Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sigma DP1 picture flaws?

Sigma DP1 picture flaws?

jdear64

Look at this photo from a Sigma DP1 beta:

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/sigmadp1_preview/

and look at picture sdim0085.jpg ( second to last ). Get the jpg file
and look at the picture full scale and look at the bright pink shoe
sign. It looks like to me the pink of the shoe sign has bled to the
left and right of the sign. Just like it was a water base print that
got wet. The same thing can be seen on the yellow sign "What's On" at
the bottom of the picture. Has this been seen before? Does the SD14
suffer from the same thing?

Yvan Descartes

"jdear64" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Look at this photo from a Sigma DP1 beta:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/sigmadp1_preview/
>
> and look at picture sdim0085.jpg ( second to last ). Get the jpg file
> and look at the picture full scale and look at the bright pink shoe
> sign. It looks like to me the pink of the shoe sign has bled to the
> left and right of the sign.

I see that too.

Maybe its a beta firmware, no ? (I did not read the preview even if its an
interesting camera).

Here is the crop for the lazy ones: http://cjoint.com/?chengZGHDT

Save the jpg and zoom at 200% in what ever you use to see the bled.

Probably only a jpg engine problem easily fixed with a new firmware I guess.

John Navas

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:18:26 -0500, "Yvan Descartes"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in <fodta8$kvr$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>"jdear64" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Look at this photo from a Sigma DP1 beta:
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/sigmadp1_preview/
>>
>> and look at picture sdim0085.jpg ( second to last ). Get the jpg file
>> and look at the picture full scale and look at the bright pink shoe
>> sign. It looks like to me the pink of the shoe sign has bled to the
>> left and right of the sign.

>I see that too.
>
>Maybe its a beta firmware, no ? (I did not read the preview even if its an
>interesting camera).
>
>Here is the crop for the lazy ones: http://cjoint.com/?chengZGHDT
>
>Save the jpg and zoom at 200% in what ever you use to see the bled.
>
>Probably only a jpg engine problem easily fixed with a new firmware I guess.

More likely sensor bleed, not terribly surprising.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Ilya Zakharevich

John Navas
<(E-Mail Removed)>], who wrote in article <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> More likely sensor bleed, not terribly surprising.

With giant pixels they have, how would it be possible?

Puzzled,
Ilya

nospam

In article <fodta8$kvr$(E-Mail Removed)>, Yvan Descartes
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Look at this photo from a Sigma DP1 beta:
> >
> > http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/sigmadp1_preview/
> >
> > and look at picture sdim0085.jpg ( second to last ). Get the jpg file
> > and look at the picture full scale and look at the bright pink shoe
> > sign. It looks like to me the pink of the shoe sign has bled to the
> > left and right of the sign.

> I see that too.
>
> Maybe its a beta firmware, no ? (I did not read the preview even if its an
> interesting camera).

it's an 'early dp1' with firmware 0.39.0.000.

> Here is the crop for the lazy ones: http://cjoint.com/?chengZGHDT
>
> Save the jpg and zoom at 200% in what ever you use to see the bled.

yep, not too surprising. there's a nice big yellow blotch to the left
of the "what's on" sign at the bottom too. there's also a fair amount
of aliasing on the building. either that or it has some very unusual
architecture.

> Probably only a jpg engine problem easily fixed with a new firmware I guess.

according to the exif info, phil used sigma's latest raw converter on
those images. unlike some of the other images, phil didn't crank the
sharpening up too high on that one.

other images have the usual blotching (which surprisingly, is even
visible in sigma's dp1 brochure). for instance, on the wall photo,
particularly in the corners:
<http://dpreview-img.fotki.com/gallery/sigmadp1_preview/sdim0059.jpg>

full size:
<http://dpreview-img.fotki.com/galler...iginals/sdim00
59.jpg>

Jay

Yes.
It's clearly visible.
I'm sure they'll fix it.
This brings me to another question. What software do you use as your default
picture viewer - Win XP?
I use Windows Picture and Fax viewer because it launches fast.
However I find it annoying that I can't see at what zoom I'm viewing at any
given time, among other things I'd like to see.
For that I open up images such as the one you're talking about in PS2.
Can you recommend another software I could use as default - where I can
always see the zoom and launches fast?
How about ACDsee?

Thanks

"jdear64" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Look at this photo from a Sigma DP1 beta:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/sigmadp1_preview/
>
> and look at picture sdim0085.jpg ( second to last ). Get the jpg file
> and look at the picture full scale and look at the bright pink shoe
> sign. It looks like to me the pink of the shoe sign has bled to the
> left and right of the sign. Just like it was a water base print that
> got wet. The same thing can be seen on the yellow sign "What's On" at
> the bottom of the picture. Has this been seen before? Does the SD14
> suffer from the same thing?

John Navas

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 04:49:38 GMT, "Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<C5wqj.9508$(E-Mail Removed)> :

>Yes.
>It's clearly visible.
>I'm sure they'll fix it.

I'mm sure they would have fixed it already if it were fixable. Foveon
X3 suffers from issues that aren't easy to fix.

>This brings me to another question. What software do you use as your default
>picture viewer - Win XP?
>I use Windows Picture and Fax viewer because it launches fast.

Likewise.

>However I find it annoying that I can't see at what zoom I'm viewing at any
>given time, among other things I'd like to see.

Click the Actual Size icon at the bottom to switch to 1:1 view.

>For that I open up images such as the one you're talking about in PS2.
>Can you recommend another software I could use as default - where I can
>always see the zoom and launches fast?
>How about ACDsee?

Check out IrfanView <http://www.irfanview.com/>

Firefox will tell you both the image size and the scaling on the title
bar, and you can install the PhotoME (which also works in Windows
Picture and Fax viewer) plugin for detailed information. But it doesn't
advance from image to image.

p.s. Please place follow-up material below (not above) quoted material,
as explained in Q7 of "Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings"
<http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html> (published by the
news.newusers.questions Moderation Board), unless a thread is already
using top posting. (Mixing posting styles in a given thread is
confusing.)

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (and several others)

Sosumi

"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 04:49:38 GMT, "Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <C5wqj.9508$(E-Mail Removed)> :
>
>>Yes.
>>It's clearly visible.
>>I'm sure they'll fix it.

> I'mm sure they would have fixed it already if it were fixable. Foveon
> X3 suffers from issues that aren't easy to fix.

Or not at all. We're still talking about a camera that was introduced 2
years ago and is still not in the stores. I don't think we'll ever see it,
which is no great loss to any sane person.

--
Sosumi

Jay

Thanks.
I'm going to download Irfanview.

Jay

"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 04:49:38 GMT, "Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <C5wqj.9508$(E-Mail Removed)> :
>
>>Yes.
>>It's clearly visible.
>>I'm sure they'll fix it.

> I'mm sure they would have fixed it already if it were fixable. Foveon
> X3 suffers from issues that aren't easy to fix.
>
>>This brings me to another question. What software do you use as your
>>default
>>picture viewer - Win XP?
>>I use Windows Picture and Fax viewer because it launches fast.

> Likewise.
>
>>However I find it annoying that I can't see at what zoom I'm viewing at
>>any
>>given time, among other things I'd like to see.

> Click the Actual Size icon at the bottom to switch to 1:1 view.
>
>>For that I open up images such as the one you're talking about in PS2.
>>Can you recommend another software I could use as default - where I can
>>always see the zoom and launches fast?
>>How about ACDsee?

> Check out IrfanView <http://www.irfanview.com/>
>
> Firefox will tell you both the image size and the scaling on the title
> bar, and you can install the PhotoME (which also works in Windows
> Picture and Fax viewer) plugin for detailed information. But it doesn't
> advance from image to image.
>

> p.s. Please place follow-up material below (not above) quoted material,
> as explained in Q7 of "Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings"
> <http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html> (published by the
> news.newusers.questions Moderation Board), unless a thread is already
> using top posting. (Mixing posting styles in a given thread is
> confusing.)
>

>>"jdear64" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Look at this photo from a Sigma DP1 beta:
>>>
>>> http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/sigmadp1_preview/
>>>
>>> and look at picture sdim0085.jpg ( second to last ). Get the jpg file
>>> and look at the picture full scale and look at the bright pink shoe
>>> sign. It looks like to me the pink of the shoe sign has bled to the
>>> left and right of the sign. Just like it was a water base print that
>>> got wet. The same thing can be seen on the yellow sign "What's On" at
>>> the bottom of the picture. Has this been seen before? Does the SD14
>>> suffer from the same thing?

> --
> Best regards,
> John Navas
> Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (and several others)

Thanks,

I will try to remember to quote below the text.

Question: Is it possible to double click random images in a folder and not
have a new instance of Irfanview launch every time I click a new image?