Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Scanning old film

Scanning old film

Chris

Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
scanner (canon 9500) ?
Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

Cheers

Chris

Nervous Nick

On Feb 6, 5:08 pm, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
> scanner (canon 9500) ?
> Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

I'm ot trying to be a smartass or anything, but: You want to scan
negatives with a printer? Because a printer is the only thing I come
up with when I look for for "canon 9500".

I think you might have mistyped your scanner model, or I just didn't
look around enough.

Otherwise, good luck. Just don't try to run any valuable negs through
any kind of printer. That would probably not produce the result you
are looking for. Heh heh.

--
YOP...

Chris

On 6 Feb, 23:27, Nervous Nick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 5:08 pm, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
> > scanner (canon 9500) ?
> > Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

> I'm ot trying to be a smartass or anything, but....

....You are.
Ok the flatbed is a canoscan 9950F

my mistake - any CONSTRUCTIVE responses would be appreciated -
arrogant smartarse twats not welcome !

John Navas

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 15:48:24 -0800 (PST), Chris
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>On 6 Feb, 23:27, Nervous Nick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Feb 6, 5:08 pm, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
>> > scanner (canon 9500) ?
>> > Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

>> I'm ot trying to be a smartass or anything, but....

>...You are.
>Ok the flatbed is a canoscan 9950F
>
>my mistake - any CONSTRUCTIVE responses would be appreciated -
>arrogant smartarse twats not welcome !

I'm pretty sure he was actually just trying to be funny.
--
Best regards,
John Navas

rwalker

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
> scanner (canon 9500) ?
> Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

I'm not sure about the dimensions of 125 film, but I have used a Canon
flatbed scanner to scan 110 format film. There is no holder for this size,
but I've had pretty good luck by inserting one end of a 110 strip under the
edge of the holder for 120 film, and then scanning it as a color positive.
Then afterwards, with Photoshop Elements I cut out the individual negatives
from the scanned strip, run auto color correction and auto levels on them,
and then invert them to positive images and adjust as necessary. Much more
labor intensive than scanning 35 mm, or slides or 120, but it can be done.

Nervous Nick

On Feb 6, 5:48 pm, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 6 Feb, 23:27, Nervous Nick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 6, 5:08 pm, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
> > > scanner (canon 9500) ?
> > > Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

> > I'm ot trying to be a smartass or anything, but....

> ...You are.
> Ok the flatbed is a canoscan 9950F
>
> my mistake - any CONSTRUCTIVE responses would be appreciated -

Yes, that helps, and no, what the ****, I was not being a
smartass. I was trying to help.

You did, after all, mistype the model number and I was genuinely
confused.

In any case, now that I know which scanner you are talking about,
Canon's web site doesn't even seem mention whether the scanner comes
with a 4x5 film holder--if that is the type of film you are talking
about. I ****ing hate trying to find stuff on Canon's sites.

If you are looking for what I think you are, then these can be very
simple frame-type things, that you slip your neg into and then nestle
in the corner of the scanner bed, and I am sure you could get one that
was designed for another scanner if you look around. It's just a
frame. Heck, I have a few laying around the lab from old scanners,
and would be glad to send you one for nothing, if you want. Just let
me know. But these are for 4x5 sheet film, so they might not be in
the format of this 125mm film you have.

At work I have to deal with thousands of 3.25 x 4" plates (Kodak 4489
Electron Image Film) each year, and rather than going to the trouble
of looking for a custom frame in these odd dimensions every time I
have had to replace a scanner, I've found that it is simple enough to
just make a "frame" that's just a bunch of tape carefully layered on
the scanner glass, raised high enough off of the glass on three sides,
so that the negatives stay in place when I slip them in there. It's
not exactly pin registration but it gets the job done.

Of course you will have to remove the tape when you need the scanner
for something else, but it probably wouldn't be that hard to figure
out a similar setup that you could easily switch out. I never had
that issue because we don't use these scanners for any other sort of
work.

Yes, my employers can be a bit "budget-conscious". Heh.

With such this size negatives (as opposed to much bigger, where they
tend to lay flat on their own) you might think that bowing would be a
problem, but depending on how thick your acetate base is (and thus how
likely the negs are to "pop"), it might not be a problem at all if
your scanner has adequate depth of focus. In any case you can get
some cheap glass cut to the dimensions you need to overlay the film--
even anti-newtonian glass, I suppose, though I never had to use it.

HTH.

--
YOP...

John Navas

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 19:25:46 -0500, "rwalker" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <47aa500b$0$22850$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>"Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
>> scanner (canon 9500) ?
>> Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

>I'm not sure about the dimensions of 125 film, ...

Easy enough to look up: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_format>
125 roll film 3" 5"

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (and several others)

ray

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 15:08:46 -0800, Chris wrote:

> Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
> scanner (canon 9500) ?
> Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

FWIW - Epson has some models which scan medium and larger format
negatives. I have used an Epson Perfection 4490 photo to scan medium
format. Purchased it from the Epson online store for about $125 a year
and a half ago.

Bob Williams

Chris wrote:
> Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
> scanner (canon 9500) ?
> Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

Can't you just make a holder by cutting the appropriate sized holes in a
piece of poster board?
Bob Williams

The Real Bev

Bob Williams wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>> Has anyone got any ideas how I can scan in old 125mm film on a flatbed
>> scanner (canon 9500) ?
>> Anyone come across any holders like there are for 35mm etc

My Canon 8400F has such a holder, but I think the posterboard (or shirt
cardboard, if such still exists) would do just as well. Incidentally,
it did a great job on old 120 and 620 negatives as well as 2x2
Ektachrome slides -- Ektachrome is NOT noted for its color permanence

--
Cheers,
Bev