Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: office 2007 64bit ?

Re: office 2007 64bit ?

AndreZ

I posted this in the office forum.. but figured it'd make more sense to ask
here..

> Hey there,
>
> I'm going to be upgrading to a 64bit operating system and want to know if
> office is available in 64bit .. I've called Microsofts pre-sales

department
> and he didn't say no.. he just said he can't find it! LOL so that left me
> with the distinct impression that there might be a version available!
>
> There's lots of chatter when I google but never any clear answers!
>
> If anyone knows any details or part numbers it would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andre

Colin Barnhorst

No. There is no need for Office to be 64bit. 32bit software runs natively
on Windows 64bit operating systems so there is no need for the additional
expense to MS of a 64bit version of Office 2007. Why do you feel there
should be one?

"AndreZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I posted this in the office forum.. but figured it'd make more sense to ask
> here..
>

>> Hey there,
>>
>> I'm going to be upgrading to a 64bit operating system and want to know if
>> office is available in 64bit .. I've called Microsofts pre-sales

> department
>> and he didn't say no.. he just said he can't find it! LOL so that left me
>> with the distinct impression that there might be a version available!
>>
>> There's lots of chatter when I google but never any clear answers!
>>
>> If anyone knows any details or part numbers it would be appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Andre

John Adams

I'm using Office 2007 on Vista Ultimate x64 right now. I haven't had any
problems.

The only thing I know of that doesn't work in x64 is a special OneNote
virtual printer.

"AndreZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I posted this in the office forum.. but figured it'd make more sense to
> ask
> here..
>

>> Hey there,
>>
>> I'm going to be upgrading to a 64bit operating system and want to know if
>> office is available in 64bit .. I've called Microsofts pre-sales

> department
>> and he didn't say no.. he just said he can't find it! LOL so that left me
>> with the distinct impression that there might be a version available!
>>
>> There's lots of chatter when I google but never any clear answers!
>>
>> If anyone knows any details or part numbers it would be appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Andre

Tom Lake

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No. There is no need for Office to be 64bit. 32bit software runs
> natively on Windows 64bit operating systems so there is no need for the
> additional expense to MS of a 64bit version of Office 2007. Why do you
> feel there should be one?

He might want spreadsheets or databases larger than can be handled by 32-bit
Windows. I know my Access programs could use that shot in the arm.

Tom Lake

S.SubZero

Poking around the web a while back I saw some references to MS kicking
around the idea of a 64-bit Office but it never materialized. At this
point it's not a huge issue. About the only app that could even begin
to take advantage of it would be Access, and I don't think Access was
really designed for that scale of database.

Personally I think it would be cool, though ever since I switched to
IMAP for my mail I don't use Outlook much, since it's IMAP support is
not very good.

Charlie Russel - MVP

There is, supposedly, a version of Excel that will run as a service in
native 64-bit. But I haven't heard that it's shipping.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64