Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > experienced C# programmer learning Java

experienced C# programmer learning Java

yoda007x

I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

So, any recommendations?

Mark Space

yoda007x wrote:
> I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
> anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
> that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
> Variables hold stuff". I know all that.
>
> So, any recommendations?

_Learning Java_ by O'Reilly is a good start. It does cover basics like
control structures and syntax, but you need that because Java is just
different enough where extrapolating directly from C won't work all the
time. Learning Java covers enough advanced material to keep the books
as a reference for a long time. Be sure to get the latest edition
(third I think).

Also the online tutorial from Sun provides good information. I don't
find it as well organized as Learning Java, but it provides an excellent
way to get information and examples on nearly any subject you might need.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

Along with the tutorial, the API reference is indispensable. Look up
classes with Google by appending " se 6" (with spaces) to the class name.

Finally, I like the javapassion.com site. It's maintained by a Sun
employee and researcher, and is an excellent resource for getting
started on many subjects. I found the intro to Java course useful. It
was very remedial in many ways, but the exercises writing code were good
reinforcement, and the organization of the course was better than
anything I could have come up with on my own. I managed to learn
something almost every class, even if it was just some productivity
quirk of NetBeans.

http://www.javapassion.com/
http://www.javapassion.com/javaintro/

Arne Vajh°j

yoda007x wrote:
> I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
> anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
> that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
> Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

I think you will find the C# -> Java move relative easy.

1) spend 10 minutes reading a list of differences between the
languages like http://www.25hoursaday.com/CsharpVsJava.html

2) download a copy of the JavaDocs for Java API so you can browse
it on your own PC

3) spend 10 minutes reading Java coding convention
http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/

4) start coding !!

Arne

Wesley Mesquita

On 6 fev, 18:46, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> yoda007x wrote:
> > I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
> > anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
> > that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
> > Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

> I think you will find the C# -> Java move relative easy.

1) spend 10 minutes reading a list of differences between the
> languages likehttp://www.25hoursaday.com/CsharpVsJava.html

2) download a copy of the JavaDocs for Java API so you can browse
> it on your own PC

3) spend 10 minutes reading Java coding convention
> http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/

4) start coding !!

> Arne

I think most of people that use the two technologies learned first
Java and then went to C#, looking for it at amazon (using the keywords
"Java" and "C#") the search result in a lot of well rated books like
this: http://www.amazon.com/C-Java-Develop...2344882&sr=1-1
, which maybe useful. But I think the best advice it is to follow the
four steps in quote.

Roedy Green

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 10:28:15 -0800 (PST), yoda007x <(E-Mail Removed)>

>I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
>anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
>that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
>Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

You should feel at home fairly soon. C# was designed as a dialect of
Java with more programmer-friendly syntax. Underneath they are
similar. In turn C# has inspired Java to adopt more
programmer-friendly syntax such as for:each.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

yoda007x

On Feb 6, 8:49 pm, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 10:28:15 -0800 (PST), yoda007x <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> >I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
> >anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
> >that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
> >Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

> You should feel at home fairly soon. C# was designed as a dialect of
> Java with more programmer-friendly syntax. Underneath they are
> similar. In turn C# has inspired Java to adopt more
> programmer-friendly syntax such as for:each.
>
> seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html
> --
>
> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
> The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

These are some very insightful and useful responses, not to mention
timely. I appreciate it guys.

Yoda

Roedy Green

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 06:30:57 -0800 (PST), yoda007x <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

Why does the space disappear after the word "see"
--

for a start follow the links at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/csharp.html
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

Lars Enderin

Roedy Green skrev:
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 06:30:57 -0800 (PST), yoda007x <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

>>> seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

> Why does the space disappear after the word "see"

It's a bug in Google Groups.