Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Jerking cursor?

Jerking cursor?

Grandpa Chuck

Often when we do not use our desktop computer for several hours and
then attempt to use it the cursor jerks around on the screen when we
move the mouse.

The only way I have found to correct this is to hit the reset button
on the computer.

Does anyone have any idea why something like this happens?
Is there a way to avoid it short of shutting the system down?
If I put it in sleep mode, I have to restart the computer anyway.

Thanks again friends.

(My darned "caps lock" key got stuck again, but now has fixed itself,
so now I can go back and put in the punctuation.)
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me

Aardvark

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:50:50 +0000, Grandpa Chuck wrote:

> Often when we do not use our desktop computer for several hours and then
> attempt to use it the cursor jerks around on the screen when we move the
> mouse.
>
> The only way I have found to correct this is to hit the reset button on
> the computer.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why something like this happens? Is there a
> way to avoid it short of shutting the system down? If I put it in sleep
> mode, I have to restart the computer anyway.
>
> Thanks again friends.
>
> (My darned "caps lock" key got stuck again, but now has fixed itself, so
> now I can go back and put in the punctuation.)

You didn't mention what OS you're using, but never mind. Over the last
few days I've had exactly the same symptoms. This morning I decided to
change my mouse to ascertain whether it was a software or hardware
problem. I switched off the PC and when I reached round the back of the
tower to remove the mouse lead it more or less just fell out.

Obviously over time the connector had somehow worked itself loose and
none of the prongs was making a full contact with it's socket. I pushed
the mouse connector back in, rebooted and now my cursor/mouse pointer is
as well behaved as it should be.

Bottom line- before doing anything else, make sure your mouse is properly
plugged in.

HTH

VanguardLH

"Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Often when we do not use our desktop computer for several hours and
> then attempt to use it the cursor jerks around on the screen when we
> move the mouse.
>
> The only way I have found to correct this is to hit the reset button
> on the computer.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why something like this happens?
> Is there a way to avoid it short of shutting the system down?
> If I put it in sleep mode, I have to restart the computer anyway.

Cordless mouse? If so, replaced the batteries yet? If cordless but
rechargeable (no batteries to replace), how old is it? The
non-replaceable batteries might not be retaining much of a charge
anymore (i.e., reduced capacity).

If cordless, have you tried pressing the reset button underneath the
mouse and pressing the reset button on the receiver?

Are you using the Windows-supplied standard mouse driver? Or did you
install some software that came with or was downloaded from the
manufacturer of the mouse? Before installing their software, did you
return the Mouse applet's settings back to defaults (no snap-to
option, acceleration at mid-point, no enhanced acceleration, etc.)?
Some version of Logitech's mouse software will not reset the standard
settings back to normal but those settings remain despite what you
configure in their Logitech mouse applet. I ran into this when I had
the snap-to option enabled for the standard mouse settings, installed
their software, and could not disable snap-to until I uninstalled
their software, disabled snap-to, and reinstalled their software
whereupon the snap-to setting would get honored. This was a long time
ago for Logitech's software so they may have changed from using an
overlay manager or otherwise fixed that problem (it doesn't happen
with the Logitech mice I've used in the last couple of years). Don't
know what mouse software you are using, if you are using an old mouse
with old software that you installed eons ago, or if you have even
tried downloading their latest version of their mouse software.

Grandpa Chuck

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:26:59 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:50:50 +0000, Grandpa Chuck wrote:
>
>> Often when we do not use our desktop computer for several hours and then
>> attempt to use it the cursor jerks around on the screen when we move the
>> mouse.
>>
>> The only way I have found to correct this is to hit the reset button on
>> the computer.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea why something like this happens? Is there a
>> way to avoid it short of shutting the system down? If I put it in sleep
>> mode, I have to restart the computer anyway.
>>
>> Thanks again friends.
>>
>> (My darned "caps lock" key got stuck again, but now has fixed itself, so
>> now I can go back and put in the punctuation.)

>You didn't mention what OS you're using, but never mind. Over the last
>few days I've had exactly the same symptoms. This morning I decided to
>change my mouse to ascertain whether it was a software or hardware
>problem. I switched off the PC and when I reached round the back of the
>tower to remove the mouse lead it more or less just fell out.
>
>Obviously over time the connector had somehow worked itself loose and
>none of the prongs was making a full contact with it's socket. I pushed
>the mouse connector back in, rebooted and now my cursor/mouse pointer is
>as well behaved as it should be.
>
>Bottom line- before doing anything else, make sure your mouse is properly
>plugged in.
>
>HTH

I use a Microsoft cordless mouse and keyboard on a XP Home (or
whatever you call it). system.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:46:10 -0600, "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Often when we do not use our desktop computer for several hours and
>> then attempt to use it the cursor jerks around on the screen when we
>> move the mouse.
>>
>> The only way I have found to correct this is to hit the reset button
>> on the computer.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea why something like this happens?
>> Is there a way to avoid it short of shutting the system down?
>> If I put it in sleep mode, I have to restart the computer anyway.

>Cordless mouse? If so, replaced the batteries yet?

I warns me ahead of time when I need to replace the battery in the
mouse or in the keyboard.

> If cordless but
>rechargeable (no batteries to replace), how old is it?

Probably 18 to 24 months.

>The
>non-replaceable batteries might not be retaining much of a charge
>anymore (i.e., reduced capacity).
>
>If cordless, have you tried pressing the reset button underneath the
>mouse and pressing the reset button on the receiver?

Do you perhaps mean the tiny "connect" button?

>Are you using the Windows-supplied standard mouse driver? Or did you
>install some software that came with or was downloaded from the
>manufacturer of the mouse?

The keyboard and mouse are both "plug and play".

> Before installing their software, did you
>return the Mouse applet's settings back to defaults (no snap-to
>option, acceleration at mid-point, no enhanced acceleration, etc.)?
>Some version of Logitech's mouse software will not reset the standard
>settings back to normal but those settings remain despite what you
>configure in their Logitech mouse applet. I ran into this when I had
>the snap-to option enabled for the standard mouse settings, installed
>their software, and could not disable snap-to until I uninstalled
>their software, disabled snap-to, and reinstalled their software
>whereupon the snap-to setting would get honored. This was a long time
>ago for Logitech's software so they may have changed from using an
>overlay manager or otherwise fixed that problem (it doesn't happen
>with the Logitech mice I've used in the last couple of years). Don't
>know what mouse software you are using, if you are using an old mouse
>with old software that you installed eons ago, or if you have even
>tried downloading their latest version of their mouse software.

Thank you. I had to give up on my Logitech Rollerball years ago
because it caused arthritis or carpal tunnel in my thumb.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me

VanguardLH

"Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>
>>"Grandpa Chuck" wrote ...
>>>
>>> Often when we do not use our desktop computer for several hours
>>> and
>>> then attempt to use it the cursor jerks around on the screen when
>>> we
>>> move the mouse.
>>>
>>> The only way I have found to correct this is to hit the reset
>>> button
>>> on the computer.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any idea why something like this happens?
>>> Is there a way to avoid it short of shutting the system down?
>>> If I put it in sleep mode, I have to restart the computer anyway.

>> Cordless mouse? If so, replaced the batteries yet?

> I warns me ahead of time when I need to replace the battery in the
> mouse or in the keyboard.

So is the mouse acting jerky LONG before the batteries have been
depleted, like just after you replaced them with fresh batteries?

>> If cordless but
>>rechargeable (no batteries to replace), how old is it?

> Probably 18 to 24 months.

Are you replacing the batteries with rechargeable batteries (which can
only recharged a limited number of times)? Or are you installing
fresh alkaline batteries?

So far, we have no information that says the mouse did not always
behave this way. Is this a new problem? Or has it been this way ever
since you got that cordless mouse?

It sounds like the mouse goes into its low-power sleep mode.
Thereafter it doesn't behave correctly when woke up. That could be a
sync problem (where you have to reset the mouse and receiver so they
use the same frequency or scheme to communicate) or you never
installed the proper driver for this particular mouse.

>>If cordless, have you tried pressing the reset button underneath the
>>mouse and pressing the reset button on the receiver?

> Do you perhaps mean the tiny "connect" button?

Since you never identified WHICH brand and model of mouse, no one that
uses the same one can identify by whatever name the manufacturer gave
that function. Reset, connect, or whatever. Have you used it yet?

>>Are you using the Windows-supplied standard mouse driver? Or did
>>you
>>install some software that came with or was downloaded from the
>>manufacturer of the mouse?

> The keyboard and mouse are both "plug and play".

PnP is a technology. Not a brand and model. Not whether you are
using the Windows-supplied drivers or you installed the manufacturer's
drivers. If what you meant to say is that you never installed the
drivers yourself then you are using the drivers that came included in
the Windows distribution.

Since you are using a cordless mouse (which is NOT the same as the
corded balled mouse driver included in Windows), and since it appears
the mouse has a problem waking from its low-power sleep mode, then go
get the drivers from the manufacturer of that cordless mouse to see if
it helps.

In your other reply, you mention that it is a Microsoft cordless
mouse. So did you ever install their Intellipoint software/driver (or
whatever is the appropriate software for whatever you really have)?
It is NOT included in Windows.

Grandpa Chuck

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 01:04:55 -0600, "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>>
>>>"Grandpa Chuck" wrote ...

>>> Cordless mouse? If so, replaced the batteries yet?

>> I warns me ahead of time when I need to replace the battery in the
>> mouse or in the keyboard.

>So is the mouse acting jerky LONG before the batteries have been
>depleted, like just after you replaced them with fresh batteries?

No. It only happens after leaving the computer idle for several hours
rather than shutting it down or putting it in sleep mode.

>>> If cordless but
>>>rechargeable (no batteries to replace), how old is it?

>> Probably 18 to 24 months.

>Are you replacing the batteries with rechargeable batteries (which can
>only recharged a limited number of times)? Or are you installing
>fresh alkaline batteries?

Only fresh alkaline batteries.

>So far, we have no information that says the mouse did not always
>behave this way. Is this a new problem? Or has it been this way ever
>since you got that cordless mouse?

Not always. I don't think it likes the cold nights when it isn't being
used.

>It sounds like the mouse goes into its low-power sleep mode.
>Thereafter it doesn't behave correctly when woke up. That could be a
>sync problem (where you have to reset the mouse and receiver so they
>use the same frequency or scheme to communicate) or you never
>installed the proper driver for this particular mouse.

I installed the drivers that came with the cordless mouse and keyboard
in the same package.

>>>If cordless, have you tried pressing the reset button underneath the
>>>mouse and pressing the reset button on the receiver?

>> Do you perhaps mean the tiny "connect" button?

>Since you never identified WHICH brand and model of mouse, no one that
>uses the same one can identify by whatever name the manufacturer gave
>that function. Reset, connect, or whatever. Have you used it yet?

Sorry. It is a Microsoft model 1025 Standard Cordless Mouse.

>>>Are you using the Windows-supplied standard mouse driver? Or did
>>>you
>>>install some software that came with or was downloaded from the
>>>manufacturer of the mouse?

>> The keyboard and mouse are both "plug and play".

>PnP is a technology. Not a brand and model. Not whether you are
>using the Windows-supplied drivers or you installed the manufacturer's
>drivers. If what you meant to say is that you never installed the
>drivers yourself then you are using the drivers that came included in
>the Windows distribution.
>
>Since you are using a cordless mouse (which is NOT the same as the
>corded balled mouse driver included in Windows), and since it appears
>the mouse has a problem waking from its low-power sleep mode, then go
>get the drivers from the manufacturer of that cordless mouse to see if
>it helps.
>
>In your other reply, you mention that it is a Microsoft cordless
>mouse. So did you ever install their Intellipoint software/driver (or
>whatever is the appropriate software for whatever you really have)?
>It is NOT included in Windows.

I installed what was in the carton with the cordless keyboard,
cordless mouse and cordless receiver.

Really, it is just kind of a nuisance since if I restart the computer
it works just fine.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me

VanguardLH

"Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> No. It only happens after leaving the computer idle for several
> hours
> rather than shutting it down or putting it in sleep mode.

The sleep mode of a cordless mouse is independent of the power-saving
mode of the computer. The computer might've just gone into Standby
mode or even into Hibernation mode but the mouse might take another 1
to 5 minutes before it goes into low-power mode and perhaps 30 minutes
before going into even the lowest-power sleep mode.

> Not always. I don't think it likes the cold nights when it isn't
> being
> used.

Would you like your wife grabbing your "mouse" with cold hands? ;->

> I installed what was in the carton with the cordless keyboard,
> cordless mouse and cordless receiver.

Check if the version of the Intellipoint (or whatever Microsoft lists
as appropriate for your mouse+keyboard combo) is later than what you
have installed. The content of the install CD was compiled years ago
and the CD was probably cut a year ago, or more. You might want to
get the LATEST version of their software. If there is a newer
version, it might fix this problem.

You said this product was installed 1-1/2, or more, years ago. The CD
in the package was probably already a year old. The compilation of
files on that CD was probably determined half a year before that. So
what you installed way back when was probably already 2 years old and
now another 2 years have elapsed since then so you are using a 4-year
old version of their software. Time to check if they have a newer
version.

> Really, it is just kind of a nuisance since if I restart the
> computer
> it works just fine.

So maybe you have other software that causes the problem. Have you
tried rebooting into Safe Mode? The drivers will still get loaded but
most other startup software will not.

Grandpa Chuck

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:22:21 -0600, "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> No. It only happens after leaving the computer idle for several
>> hours
>> rather than shutting it down or putting it in sleep mode.

>The sleep mode of a cordless mouse is independent of the power-saving
>mode of the computer. The computer might've just gone into Standby
>mode or even into Hibernation mode but the mouse might take another 1
>to 5 minutes before it goes into low-power mode and perhaps 30 minutes
>before going into even the lowest-power sleep mode.
>
>> Not always. I don't think it likes the cold nights when it isn't
>> being
>> used.

>Would you like your wife grabbing your "mouse" with cold hands? ;->

Hm, sometimes because then her hands and my mouse could warm up
together.

>> I installed what was in the carton with the cordless keyboard,
>> cordless mouse and cordless receiver.

>Check if the version of the Intellipoint (or whatever Microsoft lists
>as appropriate for your mouse+keyboard combo) is later than what you
>have installed. The content of the install CD was compiled years ago
>and the CD was probably cut a year ago, or more. You might want to
>get the LATEST version of their software. If there is a newer
>version, it might fix this problem.
>
>You said this product was installed 1-1/2, or more, years ago. The CD
>in the package was probably already a year old. The compilation of
>files on that CD was probably determined half a year before that. So
>what you installed way back when was probably already 2 years old and
>now another 2 years have elapsed since then so you are using a 4-year
>old version of their software. Time to check if they have a newer
>version.

Will do. Thank you.

>> Really, it is just kind of a nuisance since if I restart the
>> computer
>> it works just fine.

>So maybe you have other software that causes the problem. Have you
>tried rebooting into Safe Mode? The drivers will still get loaded but
>most other startup software will not.

Not for quite some time. Another idea to try.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-