Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Enhancing Membership system

Enhancing Membership system

David

Hi all,

I have looked for groups pertaining to membership but there appears to be
none.

I am working on a CMS system in .NET 2.0 and using the membership. However,
there are limitations to membership that I need to override.

I have seen...
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...30(VS.80).aspx

This doesn't quite answer my questions.

Basically, the CMS system will have 3 administrative levels.

Global Admin
Site Admin
Portal Admin

Basically, the CMS can contain many sites. A global admin will monitor ALL
of them.
Each site can have many portals. A site admin administers ALL the portals.
Each portal will be administered by a portal admin.

Membership will register for a portal. The site admin may then make a
registered portal member a member of another portal, so a single sign-on
across multiple portals within the site.

So, Each portal has a SiteID associated with it. Each portal has a UserBase
(the userbase table basically being a lookup table, with the Membership
UserID being linked to a PortalID)

When a member logs in, I would assume that the membership system (the bit I
have to write) has an array (of somesort) that can be accessed to find what
portals the user has access to.

How would I best approach this?

Any help (even just pointers or just floating of ideas) would be very much
appreciated as at the moment, having no membership experience, I am like a
fish out of water.

Best regards,
Dave Colliver.
http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
~~

sloan

You need to look at

RoleProvider

in addition to the MembershipProvider.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I have looked for groups pertaining to membership but there appears to be
> none.
>
> I am working on a CMS system in .NET 2.0 and using the membership.
> However, there are limitations to membership that I need to override.
>
> I have seen...
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...30(VS.80).aspx
>
> This doesn't quite answer my questions.
>
> Basically, the CMS system will have 3 administrative levels.
>
> Global Admin
> Site Admin
> Portal Admin
>
> Basically, the CMS can contain many sites. A global admin will monitor ALL
> of them.
> Each site can have many portals. A site admin administers ALL the portals.
> Each portal will be administered by a portal admin.
>
> Membership will register for a portal. The site admin may then make a
> registered portal member a member of another portal, so a single sign-on
> across multiple portals within the site.
>
> So, Each portal has a SiteID associated with it. Each portal has a
> UserBase (the userbase table basically being a lookup table, with the
> Membership UserID being linked to a PortalID)
>
> When a member logs in, I would assume that the membership system (the bit
> I have to write) has an array (of somesort) that can be accessed to find
> what portals the user has access to.
>
> How would I best approach this?
>
> Any help (even just pointers or just floating of ideas) would be very much
> appreciated as at the moment, having no membership experience, I am like a
> fish out of water.
>
> Best regards,
> Dave Colliver.
> http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
> ~~
> http://www.FOCUSPortals.com - Local franchises available

David

I will have a look now, thank you.

Just quickly, how could RoleProvider help with my scenario?

Best regards,
Dave Colliver.
http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
~~

"sloan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ofe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You need to look at
>
> RoleProvider
>
> in addition to the MembershipProvider.
>

> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have looked for groups pertaining to membership but there appears to be
>> none.
>>
>> I am working on a CMS system in .NET 2.0 and using the membership.
>> However, there are limitations to membership that I need to override.
>>
>> I have seen...
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...30(VS.80).aspx
>>
>> This doesn't quite answer my questions.
>>
>> Basically, the CMS system will have 3 administrative levels.
>>
>> Global Admin
>> Site Admin
>> Portal Admin
>>
>> Basically, the CMS can contain many sites. A global admin will monitor
>> ALL of them.
>> Each site can have many portals. A site admin administers ALL the
>> portals.
>> Each portal will be administered by a portal admin.
>>
>> Membership will register for a portal. The site admin may then make a
>> registered portal member a member of another portal, so a single sign-on
>> across multiple portals within the site.
>>
>> So, Each portal has a SiteID associated with it. Each portal has a
>> UserBase (the userbase table basically being a lookup table, with the
>> Membership UserID being linked to a PortalID)
>>
>> When a member logs in, I would assume that the membership system (the bit
>> I have to write) has an array (of somesort) that can be accessed to find
>> what portals the user has access to.
>>
>> How would I best approach this?
>>
>> Any help (even just pointers or just floating of ideas) would be very
>> much appreciated as at the moment, having no membership experience, I am
>> like a fish out of water.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Dave Colliver.
>> http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
>> ~~
>> http://www.FOCUSPortals.com - Local franchises available

Kevin Spencer

The "Layers" that you described are roles. Roles are like User Groups in
Windows. A Member is like a single User. By assigning Roles to Members, you
can apply permissions to an entire Group.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Chicken Salad Surgeon
Microsoft MVP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I will have a look now, thank you.
>
> Just quickly, how could RoleProvider help with my scenario?
>
> Best regards,
> Dave Colliver.
> http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
> ~~
> http://www.FOCUSPortals.com - Local franchises available
>

> "sloan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Ofe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You need to look at
>>
>> RoleProvider
>>
>> in addition to the MembershipProvider.
>>

>> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have looked for groups pertaining to membership but there appears to
>>> be none.
>>>
>>> I am working on a CMS system in .NET 2.0 and using the membership.
>>> However, there are limitations to membership that I need to override.
>>>
>>> I have seen...
>>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...30(VS.80).aspx
>>>
>>> This doesn't quite answer my questions.
>>>
>>> Basically, the CMS system will have 3 administrative levels.
>>>
>>> Global Admin
>>> Site Admin
>>> Portal Admin
>>>
>>> Basically, the CMS can contain many sites. A global admin will monitor
>>> ALL of them.
>>> Each site can have many portals. A site admin administers ALL the
>>> portals.
>>> Each portal will be administered by a portal admin.
>>>
>>> Membership will register for a portal. The site admin may then make a
>>> registered portal member a member of another portal, so a single sign-on
>>> across multiple portals within the site.
>>>
>>> So, Each portal has a SiteID associated with it. Each portal has a
>>> UserBase (the userbase table basically being a lookup table, with the
>>> Membership UserID being linked to a PortalID)
>>>
>>> When a member logs in, I would assume that the membership system (the
>>> bit I have to write) has an array (of somesort) that can be accessed to
>>> find what portals the user has access to.
>>>
>>> How would I best approach this?
>>>
>>> Any help (even just pointers or just floating of ideas) would be very
>>> much appreciated as at the moment, having no membership experience, I am
>>> like a fish out of water.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Dave Colliver.
>>> http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
>>> ~~
>>> http://www.FOCUSPortals.com - Local franchises available

David

Thanks Kevin,

Coming in to this project and being told of problems when I don't really yet
understand how the membership system works and the previous developers
telling me of their problems with the membership has naturally made me think
deeper. (Probably too deep).

I am now reading up on membership and roles to see how I can best implement
this.
--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.

"Kevin Spencer" <unclechutney@localhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The "Layers" that you described are roles. Roles are like User Groups in
> Windows. A Member is like a single User. By assigning Roles to Members,
> you can apply permissions to an entire Group.
>
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Chicken Salad Surgeon
> Microsoft MVP
>
> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I will have a look now, thank you.
>>
>> Just quickly, how could RoleProvider help with my scenario?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Dave Colliver.
>> http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
>> ~~
>> http://www.FOCUSPortals.com - Local franchises available
>>

>> "sloan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Ofe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You need to look at
>>>
>>> RoleProvider
>>>
>>> in addition to the MembershipProvider.
>>>

>>> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

David

Hi,

Sorry, another quick question...

With the layers / structure I have outlined, a site admin can give any
person access to any portal within that site. (an application contains many
sites, a site contains many portals). If I use the roles mechanism as
outlined, what is to stop an admin from another site (site2) assigning roles
to someone registered on the first site (site1) (either modifying site1
persons permission or allowing site1 person access to site2 (or site2
portals))

--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.
"Kevin Spencer" <unclechutney@localhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The "Layers" that you described are roles. Roles are like User Groups in
> Windows. A Member is like a single User. By assigning Roles to Members,
> you can apply permissions to an entire Group.
>
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Chicken Salad Surgeon
> Microsoft MVP
>
> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I will have a look now, thank you.
>>
>> Just quickly, how could RoleProvider help with my scenario?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Dave Colliver.
>> http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
>> ~~
>> http://www.FOCUSPortals.com - Local franchises available
>>

>> "sloan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Ofe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You need to look at
>>>
>>> RoleProvider
>>>
>>> in addition to the MembershipProvider.
>>>

>>> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

sloan

My generic example is this:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e5ba3e5f64f5a9

//
the filtering is NOT handled by the membership or role provider. you have
to do that. //

The Membership and Role Providers are frameworks..they are not going to meet
your exact requirements.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, another quick question...
>
> With the layers / structure I have outlined, a site admin can give any
> person access to any portal within that site. (an application contains
> many sites, a site contains many portals). If I use the roles mechanism as
> outlined, what is to stop an admin from another site (site2) assigning
> roles to someone registered on the first site (site1) (either modifying
> site1 persons permission or allowing site1 person access to site2 (or
> site2 portals))
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Dave Colliver.
> http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
> ~~
> http://www.FOCUSPortals.com - Local franchises available
> "Kevin Spencer" <unclechutney@localhost> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The "Layers" that you described are roles. Roles are like User Groups in
>> Windows. A Member is like a single User. By assigning Roles to Members,
>> you can apply permissions to an entire Group.
>>
>> --
>> HTH,
>>
>> Kevin Spencer
>> Chicken Salad Surgeon
>> Microsoft MVP
>>
>> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I will have a look now, thank you.
>>>
>>> Just quickly, how could RoleProvider help with my scenario?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Dave Colliver.
>>> http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
>>> ~~
>>> http://www.FOCUSPortals.com - Local franchises available
>>>

>>> "sloan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:Ofe$(E-Mail Removed)...

Kevin Spencer

Hi David,

The ASP.Net Role and Membership providers are highly configurable, and you
can assign permissions all the way from a directory and its sub-trees to the
page level, and even to the level of content within a page (with a little
coding). So, as long as you configure your permissions correctly,
administrators can be grouped, and assign specific permissions for specific
areas.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer