Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot ping wireless laptop

Cannot ping wireless laptop

A Lake

We have several laptops that connect using wireless using Radius and IAS on
Windows 2003 server.

This all works OK and users can login as normal. However, I can't ping those
laptops and therefore cannot use remote desktop/vnc etc to manage them.

If I ping FROM those laptops to the admin PC, then the admin PC can then
suddenly ping the wireless client - until the next reboot.

Any ideas whats going on here?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

A Lake <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We have several laptops that connect using wireless using Radius and
> IAS on Windows 2003 server.
>
> This all works OK and users can login as normal. However, I can't
> ping those laptops and therefore cannot use remote desktop/vnc etc to
> manage them.
>
> If I ping FROM those laptops to the admin PC, then the admin PC can
> then suddenly ping the wireless client - until the next reboot.
>
> Any ideas whats going on here?

The most likely culprit that jumps to mind, is a firewall setting on the
laptops.

A Lake

I tried with the firewall disabled and the laptops still don't respond until
they ping out.

I.e PC1 cannot ping Laptop1 - if laptop1 pings PC1 then PC1 can then ping
laptop2.

PC2 cannot ping laptop1 even though PC1 can!

It seems like the laptop doesn't respond to any pings until it has
established a connection with the device that it trying to ping it?