Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless not working - Linksys WAG325N

Wireless not working - Linksys WAG325N

John

I've just got a WAG325N and the ADSL/internet side of it is brilliant.
Trouble is, the wireless side of it isn't working. It came with Firmware
1.00.08 so I flashed it to the latest available (1.00.11) but the wireless
still doesn't work.

I've tried every available channel and, because I have no wireless N
adapters (only wireless G), I've tried the "Radio Band" at both standard
20MHz and wide 40MHz - but that doesn't work either.

Having had a WAG54GS and been very pleased with that, I'm surprised and
very, VERY, annoyed that the wireless network mode of the WAG325N is just
either "Mixed" or "Disabled" and not selectable as B, G, or N, because I
think that that may have something to do with it.

Also, the encryption method is listed in the drop-down box as "TKIP or AES"
and it seems to be automatically chosen, rather than the user being able to
choose TKIP or to choose AES - maybe this has something to do with it as
well.

Anyway, here's a description of the problem:

The wireless seems to be working in a "burst" or "pulse" mode somehow. When
my laptop sees a signal from the router it is only running at 24Mbps and it
is only there for about 5 to 10 seconds, then it drops out for about 5 or 10
seconds, and so the cycle continues.

If you look here www.thehewitts.eu/wifi.html you'll see a screen-dump of my
wireless adapter software showing signal strength and quality - it rises to
100% and then drops, 100% and then drops etc., etc. It is the same wherever
I take my laptop in the house - near the router or far from the router makes
no difference (apart from signal strength and quality gets lower, of
course - maybe even as low as 20% but the "pulse" aspect is still there).

And it is definitely not any form of interference because I can change
between my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and my BT Home Hub, both of which
work perfectly wirelessly - the problem is with the Linksys WAG325N.

Have I got a faulty router that needs to be returned to the store, or is
there some setting I'm missing somewhere?

Thanks

John

John

John wrote:
> I've just got a WAG325N and the ADSL/internet side of it is brilliant.
> Trouble is, the wireless side of it isn't working. It came with
> Firmware 1.00.08 so I flashed it to the latest available (1.00.11) but the
> wireless still doesn't work.
>
> I've tried every available channel and, because I have no wireless N
> adapters (only wireless G), I've tried the "Radio Band" at both
> standard 20MHz and wide 40MHz - but that doesn't work either.
>
> Having had a WAG54GS and been very pleased with that, I'm surprised
> and very, VERY, annoyed that the wireless network mode of the WAG325N
> is just either "Mixed" or "Disabled" and not selectable as B, G, or
> N, because I think that that may have something to do with it.
>
> Also, the encryption method is listed in the drop-down box as "TKIP
> or AES" and it seems to be automatically chosen, rather than the user
> being able to choose TKIP or to choose AES - maybe this has something
> to do with it as well.
>
> Anyway, here's a description of the problem:
>
> The wireless seems to be working in a "burst" or "pulse" mode
> somehow. When my laptop sees a signal from the router it is only
> running at 24Mbps and it is only there for about 5 to 10 seconds,
> then it drops out for about 5 or 10 seconds, and so the cycle
> continues.
> If you look here www.thehewitts.eu/wifi.html you'll see a screen-dump
> of my wireless adapter software showing signal strength and quality -
> it rises to 100% and then drops, 100% and then drops etc., etc. It is
> the same wherever I take my laptop in the house - near the router or
> far from the router makes no difference (apart from signal strength
> and quality gets lower, of course - maybe even as low as 20% but the
> "pulse" aspect is still
> there).
> And it is definitely not any form of interference because I can change
> between my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and my BT Home Hub, both
> of which work perfectly wirelessly - the problem is with the Linksys
> WAG325N.
> Have I got a faulty router that needs to be returned to the store, or
> is there some setting I'm missing somewhere?

Sorry, fingers too fast for brain - should have said XP Pro SP2.

John

Barb Bowman

first, be sure you have
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=893357

second, disable the proprietary software to manage the wireless and
try windows native tools.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
After you check what was suggested by Barb. Reset the Wireless to Default
settings, the settings that you played with probably make it worse. These
settings are not meant to be changed for regular Wireless use.
Start with the Wireless client sitting near the Wireless Router and do not
use Signal strength as the Indicator for the Wireless Quality since it is
quite meaningless indicator. Use real file transfer instead, and try all the
channels in the Router until you find the one that provides the best stable
transfer.
http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
Also make sure that the Power saving of the Wireless card is Off.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just got a WAG325N and the ADSL/internet side of it is brilliant.
> Trouble is, the wireless side of it isn't working. It came with Firmware
> 1.00.08 so I flashed it to the latest available (1.00.11) but the wireless
> still doesn't work.
>
> I've tried every available channel and, because I have no wireless N
> adapters (only wireless G), I've tried the "Radio Band" at both standard
> 20MHz and wide 40MHz - but that doesn't work either.
>
> Having had a WAG54GS and been very pleased with that, I'm surprised and
> very, VERY, annoyed that the wireless network mode of the WAG325N is just
> either "Mixed" or "Disabled" and not selectable as B, G, or N, because I
> think that that may have something to do with it.
>
> Also, the encryption method is listed in the drop-down box as "TKIP or
> AES"
> and it seems to be automatically chosen, rather than the user being able
> choose TKIP or to choose AES - maybe this has something to do with it as
> well.
>
> Anyway, here's a description of the problem:
>
> The wireless seems to be working in a "burst" or "pulse" mode somehow.
> When
> my laptop sees a signal from the router it is only running at 24Mbps and
> it
> is only there for about 5 to 10 seconds, then it drops out for about 5 or
> 10
> seconds, and so the cycle continues.
>
> If you look here www.thehewitts.eu/wifi.html you'll see a screen-dump of
> my
> wireless adapter software showing signal strength and quality - it rises
> 100% and then drops, 100% and then drops etc., etc. It is the same
> wherever
> I take my laptop in the house - near the router or far from the router
> makes
> no difference (apart from signal strength and quality gets lower, of
> course - maybe even as low as 20% but the "pulse" aspect is still there).
>
> And it is definitely not any form of interference because I can change
> between my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and my BT Home Hub, both of
> which
> work perfectly wirelessly - the problem is with the Linksys WAG325N.
>
> Have I got a faulty router that needs to be returned to the store, or is
> there some setting I'm missing somewhere?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

John

Thanks Barb, will do.

John

Barb Bowman wrote:
> first, be sure you have
> http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=893357
>
> second, disable the proprietary software to manage the wireless and
> try windows native tools.
>
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 10:47:54 -0000, "John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I've just got a WAG325N and the ADSL/internet side of it is
>> brilliant. Trouble is, the wireless side of it isn't working. It
>> came with Firmware
>> 1.00.08 so I flashed it to the latest available (1.00.11) but the
>> wireless still doesn't work.
>>
>> I've tried every available channel and, because I have no wireless N
>> adapters (only wireless G), I've tried the "Radio Band" at both
>> standard 20MHz and wide 40MHz - but that doesn't work either.
>>
>> Having had a WAG54GS and been very pleased with that, I'm surprised
>> and very, VERY, annoyed that the wireless network mode of the
>> WAG325N is just either "Mixed" or "Disabled" and not selectable as
>> B, G, or N, because I think that that may have something to do with
>> it.
>>
>> Also, the encryption method is listed in the drop-down box as "TKIP
>> or AES" and it seems to be automatically chosen, rather than the
>> user being able to choose TKIP or to choose AES - maybe this has
>> something to do with it as well.
>>
>> Anyway, here's a description of the problem:
>>
>> The wireless seems to be working in a "burst" or "pulse" mode
>> somehow. When my laptop sees a signal from the router it is only
>> running at 24Mbps and it is only there for about 5 to 10 seconds,
>> then it drops out for about 5 or 10 seconds, and so the cycle
>> continues.
>>
>> If you look here www.thehewitts.eu/wifi.html you'll see a
>> screen-dump of my wireless adapter software showing signal strength
>> and quality - it rises to 100% and then drops, 100% and then drops
>> etc., etc. It is the same wherever I take my laptop in the house -
>> near the router or far from the router makes no difference (apart
>> from signal strength and quality gets lower, of
>> course - maybe even as low as 20% but the "pulse" aspect is still
>> there).
>>
>> And it is definitely not any form of interference because I can
>> change between my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and my BT Home
>> Hub, both of which work perfectly wirelessly - the problem is with
>> the Linksys WAG325N.
>>
>> Have I got a faulty router that needs to be returned to the store,
>> or is there some setting I'm missing somewhere?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> John

John

Thanks Jack, much appreciated.

John

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> [...]
>> screen-dump of my
>> wireless adapter software showing signal strength and quality - it
>> rises to
>> 100% and then drops, 100% and then drops etc., etc. It is the same
>> wherever
>> I take my laptop in the house - near the router or far from the
>> router makes
>> no difference (apart from signal strength and quality gets lower, of
>> course - maybe even as low as 20% but the "pulse" aspect is still
>> there). And it is definitely not any form of interference because I can
>> change between my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and my BT Home
>> Hub, both of which
>> work perfectly wirelessly - the problem is with the Linksys WAG325N.
>>
>> Have I got a faulty router that needs to be returned to the store,
>> or is there some setting I'm missing somewhere?

Lem

John wrote:
> I've just got a WAG325N and the ADSL/internet side of it is brilliant.
> Trouble is, the wireless side of it isn't working. It came with Firmware
> 1.00.08 so I flashed it to the latest available (1.00.11) but the wireless
> still doesn't work.
>
> I've tried every available channel and, because I have no wireless N
> adapters (only wireless G), I've tried the "Radio Band" at both standard
> 20MHz and wide 40MHz - but that doesn't work either.
>
> Having had a WAG54GS and been very pleased with that, I'm surprised and
> very, VERY, annoyed that the wireless network mode of the WAG325N is just
> either "Mixed" or "Disabled" and not selectable as B, G, or N, because I
> think that that may have something to do with it.
>
> Also, the encryption method is listed in the drop-down box as "TKIP or AES"
> and it seems to be automatically chosen, rather than the user being able to
> choose TKIP or to choose AES - maybe this has something to do with it as
> well.
>
> Anyway, here's a description of the problem:
>
> The wireless seems to be working in a "burst" or "pulse" mode somehow. When
> my laptop sees a signal from the router it is only running at 24Mbps and it
> is only there for about 5 to 10 seconds, then it drops out for about 5 or 10
> seconds, and so the cycle continues.
>
> If you look here www.thehewitts.eu/wifi.html you'll see a screen-dump of my
> wireless adapter software showing signal strength and quality - it rises to
> 100% and then drops, 100% and then drops etc., etc. It is the same wherever
> I take my laptop in the house - near the router or far from the router makes
> no difference (apart from signal strength and quality gets lower, of
> course - maybe even as low as 20% but the "pulse" aspect is still there).
>
> And it is definitely not any form of interference because I can change
> between my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and my BT Home Hub, both of which
> work perfectly wirelessly - the problem is with the Linksys WAG325N.
>
> Have I got a faulty router that needs to be returned to the store, or is
> there some setting I'm missing somewhere?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

If you can't solve things with the advice from Barb and Jack, here are
some more thoughts.

There are 2 aspects of encryption: what Linksys calls "security mode"
and what Linksys calls "encryption" or "encryption method." You *must*
be sure that the "security mode" of the router is set either to
"WPA2-Personal" or "WPA-Personal." Be sure that you haven't selected
an "Enterprise" version of the security. Also, although WPA2 is
supposed to be backwards compatible with WPA, if your laptop adapter can
only handle WPA, try setting the router's "security mode" to WPA-Personal.

As shown in the User's Guide, originally this router, like older Linksys
routers, apparently offered the choice of using either TKIP or AES
(although WPA2 mandates AES) for the "encryption" method. As of
firmware version 1.00.08, "security encryption [changed] to TKIP+AES for
WPA/WPA2 to allow clients using TKIP or AES to connect (NOTE: known
performance issue with TKIP encyption)." (Read the firmware release
notes). Also note that firmware version 1.00.11 is *only* for "Annex A"
hardware. Because version 1.00.08 seems also to be available only for
"Annex A" hardware, if that's what your device came with, you're
probably OK.

In any case, I suggest that you set the "security mode" to "Disabled"
and then attempt to connect. Be sure to delete any profile/preferred
network entry that you created earlier on your laptop so that it doesn't
attempt to connect to the unsecured network using a stored passphrase.
If you can connect without using encryption, then enable encryption
appropriately. If you can't, it's sounding more like defective hardware
(but see next paragraph).

Finally, if everything else fails, go to the appropriate forum on
linksysinfo.org and describe your problem there. There are some very
knowledgeable users of Linksys products there, and if someone has seen
anything like what you describe, you're more likely to get a straight
answer there then from Linksys support.
http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/fo...play.php?f=130

[a very quick glance there suggests that the .08 firmware was
problematic, so you were probably right to go to .11, but perhaps there
was a problem in flashing. I'd ask first before re-flashing.]

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

John

Lem wrote:
> [...]

> doesn't attempt to connect to the unsecured network using a stored
> passphrase. If you can connect without using encryption, then enable
> encryption
> appropriately. If you can't, it's sounding more like defective
> hardware (but see next paragraph).
>
> Finally, if everything else fails, go to the appropriate forum on
> linksysinfo.org and describe your problem there. There are some very
> knowledgeable users of Linksys products there, and if someone has seen
> anything like what you describe, you're more likely to get a straight
> answer there then from Linksys support.
> http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/fo...play.php?f=130
>
> [a very quick glance there suggests that the .08 firmware was
> problematic, so you were probably right to go to .11, but perhaps
> there was a problem in flashing. I'd ask first before re-flashing.]

Thanks very much Lem. I've been busy so haven't yet had chance to try either
Barb or Jack's advice but hopefully tomorrow.

Cheers my friend,

John