Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > When will we see a 500GB solid state storage device ?

When will we see a 500GB solid state storage device ?

Jerry G.

There are solid state drives in the many GB's. These are primarily
being used in the aerospace, military, and broadcast businesses. They
are used in equipment that must operate under rough conditions. The cost
is much too high for the average user or average business. Eventually
this will change.

--

Jerry G.

"fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47a97d2f$(E-Mail Removed)...
Hard disc technology is improving all the time. Greater speed and
capacity
is zooming along.

But why? Hard discs are noisy, power hungry mechanical devices.

Solid state USB sticks, SD cards and so on show the way for silent,
non-mechanical storage.
When will we see a 500GB solid state storage device that is cheap and
reliable?

fruitbat

Hard disc technology is improving all the time. Greater speed and capacity
is zooming along.

But why? Hard discs are noisy, power hungry mechanical devices.

Solid state USB sticks, SD cards and so on show the way for silent,
non-mechanical storage.
When will we see a 500GB solid state storage device that is cheap and
reliable?

Paul

fruitbat wrote:
> Hard disc technology is improving all the time. Greater speed and capacity
> is zooming along.
>
> But why? Hard discs are noisy, power hungry mechanical devices.
>
> Solid state USB sticks, SD cards and so on show the way for silent,
> non-mechanical storage.
> When will we see a 500GB solid state storage device that is cheap and
> reliable?

If you think about the technical challenges, of moving to flash,
you won't be in quite such a rush. The cost per megabyte has to
come down significantly, before you'll be happy with your "silent"
solution.

There is an example here, of a 32GB Mtron SSD, equipped with wear
leveling so it can be used as your boot drive. In the user feedback
section of that article, the price of $1200 is mentioned. If the
drive was 16x larger, the price would be $19200.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3167&p=1

The flash is already using a pretty aggressive silicon technology,
so a silicon die shrink is not going to make a dent in the price.
There are people toying with the idea of extending the MLC concept,
but MLC has compromises in terms of the number of write cycles
it can sustain, even with wear leveling.

To get that $19200 price, down to $200, is going to take a while.
Maybe even an alternative technology to flash will be required.

Paul

roadriderob

On Feb 6, 3:26 am, "fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hard disc technology is improving all the time. Greater speed and capacity
> is zooming along.
>
> But why? Hard discs are noisy, power hungry mechanical devices.
>
> Solid state USB sticks, SD cards and so on show the way for silent,
> non-mechanical storage.
> When will we see a 500GB solid state storage device that is cheap and
> reliable?

A cheap 500GB solid state drive - 2015 ?

Horror-Code Horror-Code is offline
Junior Member

It's been about 4 months since the last post here. As you can see from mylink's, and you may already be aware, size is rising and prices are dropping. You can find 32gb SSD's on eBay for $250. if you look hard enough.

eBay 32gb SSD just keep looking

So it surely looks as though prices are decreasing fast. What you may have paid for a 32gb SSD you will now pay for a 128, yes ONE HUNDRED TWENTY EIGHT gb SSD.
Google 128GB SSD

MemoryX??

It's just a marketing trend, the same as the launch of the first I.ntegratedD.eviceE.lectronics-I.D.E. hard disk's, which first marked the device electronic's PCB integrated onto the disk itself instead of a seperate module, or for the newer generation Serial.ATA running at unbelievable speed's.

In 15 year's the technology will have left everyone so far behind in the time's 90% of the world WILL look like THE FLINSTONES!!
Just look at the percentage of people who have just discovered telecommunication's.

By the way, I registered just for this, so be sure to use the email link if you must contact me. I'll make it back here soon.

Oh, and yes yourprice's are right, but my point was that we will soon see much larger drive's... which mean's price drop's, huge price drop's....

256gb SSD
256gb SSD 3.5" SATA, about $8,000.00

512gb SSD
Soon to be released,probably in the final stage's, not to mention those market stratagie's to keep price's high for a couple month's...

1TB SSD!!
Wasn't the easiest to find....right around the corner **ShivvvvERs**
BitMicro 1TB SCSI 3.5" SSD

Wow...

Last edited by Horror-Code; 05-30-2008 at 11:52 AM..