Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > n etwork questions

n etwork questions

Pete

I just set up a network with a liknsys wrt350n router. It is hardwired to my
desktop and I am using a laptop wirelessly. I can connect to the internet
and email. When I try to set up a workgroup with the network wizard when I
get to the laptop it tells me that my network cable is unplugged. I select
the ignore button and proceed but I cannot get a connection with this method
or using the wireless wizard either in my network connections.
Everything I read on the subject makes this sound so easy so where am I
going wrong? Do I need to set up a manual connection since I have one wired
and one wireless connection? If so can someone explain this process to me?
Everything I read seems to expect that you already know how to do this so is
isn't covered or I am overlooking the obvious. If anyone has any answers or
can point me to an article or something that could help I would appreciate
the help.

THANKS
Pete

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The two computer work independently with the Router. So if the desktop works
leave it alone.
Your Wireless is probably Not configured correctly.
Try this process to find what is wrong.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just set up a network with a liknsys wrt350n router. It is hardwired to
>my
> desktop and I am using a laptop wirelessly. I can connect to the internet
> and email. When I try to set up a workgroup with the network wizard when
> get to the laptop it tells me that my network cable is unplugged. I
> select
> the ignore button and proceed but I cannot get a connection with this
> method
> or using the wireless wizard either in my network connections.
> Everything I read on the subject makes this sound so easy so where am I
> going wrong? Do I need to set up a manual connection since I have one
> wired
> and one wireless connection? If so can someone explain this process to
> me?
> Everything I read seems to expect that you already know how to do this so
> is
> isn't covered or I am overlooking the obvious. If anyone has any answers
> or
> can point me to an article or something that could help I would appreciate
> the help.
>
> THANKS
> Pete

Pete

Thanks for the help Jack. I am able to connect to the net and email with
both computers now. I have a network but that's where I get lost. I cannot
get the shared folders and files from each computer to show up on the other
computer. They are in the same workgroup when I check, but the shared items
show up only on the computer that they are located on not the other computer
where I would like to access them.
Someone suggested that I hook the laptop up wired and set everything up then
switch back to wireless. What do you think about this idea?

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> The two computer work independently with the Router. So if the desktop works
> leave it alone.
> Your Wireless is probably Not configured correctly.
> Try this process to find what is wrong.
> My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I just set up a network with a liknsys wrt350n router. It is hardwired to
> >my
> > desktop and I am using a laptop wirelessly. I can connect to the internet
> > and email. When I try to set up a workgroup with the network wizard when
> > get to the laptop it tells me that my network cable is unplugged. I
> > select
> > the ignore button and proceed but I cannot get a connection with this
> > method
> > or using the wireless wizard either in my network connections.
> > Everything I read on the subject makes this sound so easy so where am I
> > going wrong? Do I need to set up a manual connection since I have one
> > wired
> > and one wireless connection? If so can someone explain this process to
> > me?
> > Everything I read seems to expect that you already know how to do this so
> > is
> > isn't covered or I am overlooking the obvious. If anyone has any answers
> > or
> > can point me to an article or something that could help I would appreciate
> > the help.
> >
> > THANKS
> > Pete

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
It is probably unnecessary, If your Desktop is connected with a wire you can
log with it to the Router and do the Wireless configuration from the
Desktop.
Then configure the matching setting on the Laptop.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the help Jack. I am able to connect to the net and email with
> both computers now. I have a network but that's where I get lost. I
> cannot
> get the shared folders and files from each computer to show up on the
> other
> computer. They are in the same workgroup when I check, but the shared
> items
> show up only on the computer that they are located on not the other
> computer
> where I would like to access them.
> Someone suggested that I hook the laptop up wired and set everything up
> then
> switch back to wireless. What do you think about this idea?
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> The two computer work independently with the Router. So if the desktop
>> works
>> leave it alone.
>> Your Wireless is probably Not configured correctly.
>> Try this process to find what is wrong.
>> My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
>> Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
>> Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I just set up a network with a liknsys wrt350n router. It is hardwired
>> >my
>> > desktop and I am using a laptop wirelessly. I can connect to the
>> > internet
>> > and email. When I try to set up a workgroup with the network wizard
>> > when
>> > get to the laptop it tells me that my network cable is unplugged. I
>> > select
>> > the ignore button and proceed but I cannot get a connection with this
>> > method
>> > or using the wireless wizard either in my network connections.
>> > Everything I read on the subject makes this sound so easy so where am I
>> > going wrong? Do I need to set up a manual connection since I have one
>> > wired
>> > and one wireless connection? If so can someone explain this process to
>> > me?
>> > Everything I read seems to expect that you already know how to do this
>> > so
>> > is
>> > isn't covered or I am overlooking the obvious. If anyone has any
>> > answers
>> > or
>> > can point me to an article or something that could help I would
>> > appreciate
>> > the help.
>> >
>> > THANKS
>> > Pete

Pete

Thanks again Jack for your help. I have tried everyway I can think of to do
this but for some reason I cannot get the desktop to reconize the shared
folders on the laptop and vice versa. I tried using the network setup wizard
and the wireless wizard using the thumb drive to copy the settings between
the computers but still nothing. Both computers are in the same named
workgroup and have different names for each.
I don't know if this has any bearing or not but I am on RoadRunner ISP and
they have a radio option that you can install. It works on the desktop but I
cannot get any sound on my laptop and I have sound on websites, news clips
etc.. Also while trying to troubleshoot this problem the RR tech asked me to
go to the internet radio in media player and when I clicked on a station
after about five minutes it gave a "network problem will not allow connection
message."

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> It is probably unnecessary, If your Desktop is connected with a wire you can
> log with it to the Router and do the Wireless configuration from the
> Desktop.
> Then configure the matching setting on the Laptop.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for the help Jack. I am able to connect to the net and email with
> > both computers now. I have a network but that's where I get lost. I
> > cannot
> > get the shared folders and files from each computer to show up on the
> > other
> > computer. They are in the same workgroup when I check, but the shared
> > items
> > show up only on the computer that they are located on not the other
> > computer
> > where I would like to access them.
> > Someone suggested that I hook the laptop up wired and set everything up
> > then
> > switch back to wireless. What do you think about this idea?
> >
> > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> The two computer work independently with the Router. So if the desktop
> >> works
> >> leave it alone.
> >> Your Wireless is probably Not configured correctly.
> >> Try this process to find what is wrong.
> >> My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> >> Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> >> Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >>
> >> "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jim

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks again Jack for your help. I have tried everyway I can think of to
> do
> this but for some reason I cannot get the desktop to reconize the shared
> folders on the laptop and vice versa. I tried using the network setup
> wizard
> and the wireless wizard using the thumb drive to copy the settings between
> the computers but still nothing. Both computers are in the same named
> workgroup and have different names for each.
> I don't know if this has any bearing or not but I am on RoadRunner ISP and
> they have a radio option that you can install. It works on the desktop
> but I
> cannot get any sound on my laptop and I have sound on websites, news clips
> etc.. Also while trying to troubleshoot this problem the RR tech asked me
> go to the internet radio in media player and when I clicked on a station
> after about five minutes it gave a "network problem will not allow
> connection
> message."
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> It is probably unnecessary, If your Desktop is connected with a wire you
>> can
>> log with it to the Router and do the Wireless configuration from the
>> Desktop.
>> Then configure the matching setting on the Laptop.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thanks for the help Jack. I am able to connect to the net and email
>> > with
>> > both computers now. I have a network but that's where I get lost. I
>> > cannot
>> > get the shared folders and files from each computer to show up on the
>> > other
>> > computer. They are in the same workgroup when I check, but the shared
>> > items
>> > show up only on the computer that they are located on not the other
>> > computer
>> > where I would like to access them.
>> > Someone suggested that I hook the laptop up wired and set everything up
>> > then
>> > switch back to wireless. What do you think about this idea?

Can you ping each computer from the other? I suspect that your problem is
an improperly configured firewall since
what you have described sounds like the firewalls are not passing ICMP
packets.

Which firewall are you using?

Jim

Pete

Thanks Jim. I am a newbie and unsure how to go about "pinging". I have CA
antivirus suite provided by my provider. What would you suggest as to how I
go about trying this?

"Jim" wrote:

> "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks again Jack for your help. I have tried everyway I can think of to
> > do
> > this but for some reason I cannot get the desktop to reconize the shared
> > folders on the laptop and vice versa. I tried using the network setup
> > wizard
> > and the wireless wizard using the thumb drive to copy the settings between
> > the computers but still nothing. Both computers are in the same named
> > workgroup and have different names for each.
> > I don't know if this has any bearing or not but I am on RoadRunner ISP and
> > they have a radio option that you can install. It works on the desktop
> > but I
> > cannot get any sound on my laptop and I have sound on websites, news clips
> > etc.. Also while trying to troubleshoot this problem the RR tech asked me
> > go to the internet radio in media player and when I clicked on a station
> > after about five minutes it gave a "network problem will not allow
> > connection
> > message."
> >
> > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> It is probably unnecessary, If your Desktop is connected with a wire you
> >> can
> >> log with it to the Router and do the Wireless configuration from the
> >> Desktop.
> >> Then configure the matching setting on the Laptop.
> >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >>
> >> "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Can you ping each computer from the other? I suspect that your problem is
> an improperly configured firewall since
> what you have described sounds like the firewalls are not passing ICMP
> packets.
>
> Which firewall are you using?
>
> Jim

Jim

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Jim. I am a newbie and unsure how to go about "pinging". I have
> CA
> antivirus suite provided by my provider. What would you suggest as to how
> go about trying this?
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>

>> "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thanks again Jack for your help. I have tried everyway I can think of
>> > do
>> > this but for some reason I cannot get the desktop to reconize the
>> > shared
>> > folders on the laptop and vice versa. I tried using the network setup
>> > wizard
>> > and the wireless wizard using the thumb drive to copy the settings
>> > between
>> > the computers but still nothing. Both computers are in the same named
>> > workgroup and have different names for each.
>> > I don't know if this has any bearing or not but I am on RoadRunner ISP
>> > and
>> > they have a radio option that you can install. It works on the desktop
>> > but I
>> > cannot get any sound on my laptop and I have sound on websites, news
>> > clips
>> > etc.. Also while trying to troubleshoot this problem the RR tech asked
>> > me
>> > go to the internet radio in media player and when I clicked on a
>> > station
>> > after about five minutes it gave a "network problem will not allow
>> > connection
>> > message."

>> Can you ping each computer from the other? I suspect that your problem
>> is
>> an improperly configured firewall since
>> what you have described sounds like the firewalls are not passing ICMP
>> packets.
>>
>> Which firewall are you using?
>>
>> Jim

Do this to run the ping program:

Press Start
Select Run
In the box, enter cmd
Cmd will show the current folder followed by >
Enter Ping <ip address>

Ping will report, if the computer at the ip address replies, 3 lines with
statistics.
If the computer at the ip address does not reply, then it will show 3 lines
of "timed out" messages.

By the way, you can ping the computer you are logged into. Ping localhost.

If you cannot ping localhost, your network is not working at all. If you
cannot ping remote computers, then there is a problem on the remote
computers.

In any case, don't go further until you can ping each of your computers.

Ping is a useful program. For example, sometimes IE or Firefox times out.
What I do to start researchin the problem is to ping the host of my ISP (in
my case it is yahoo). So I enter ping www.yahoo.com to see if yahoo is up
or not.

Jim

Pete

Thanks Jim,
I sort of understand what you mean. When you say ping <ip address>
where is the ip address? I think it is is the connections area? I there a
way to find it easily? Ifter reading what you mentioned about the firewall I
experimented by turning them both off and guess what It now works. I think I
am correct that to restart the firewalls I need to allow the ip address on
each computers firewall correct? The firewall usually asks when something
tries to gain access but it must not have this time. Do you think it will
recognize them automatically if I restart the firewall now that I have a
connection? Thanks for turning the lightbulb on. I kept thinking there had
to be a simple explanation for the problem but it just didn't dawn on me to
try the firewalls.

THANKS AGAIN
Pete
"Jim" wrote:

> "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks Jim. I am a newbie and unsure how to go about "pinging". I have
> > CA
> > antivirus suite provided by my provider. What would you suggest as to how
> > go about trying this?
> >
> > "Jim" wrote:
> >

> >> "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Can you ping each computer from the other? I suspect that your problem
> >> is
> >> an improperly configured firewall since
> >> what you have described sounds like the firewalls are not passing ICMP
> >> packets.
> >>
> >> Which firewall are you using?
> >>
> >> Jim
> >>

> Do this to run the ping program:
>
> Press Start
> Select Run
> In the box, enter cmd
> Cmd will show the current folder followed by >
> Enter Ping <ip address>
>
> Ping will report, if the computer at the ip address replies, 3 lines with
> statistics.
> If the computer at the ip address does not reply, then it will show 3 lines
> of "timed out" messages.
>
> By the way, you can ping the computer you are logged into. Ping localhost.
>
> If you cannot ping localhost, your network is not working at all. If you
> cannot ping remote computers, then there is a problem on the remote
> computers.
>
> In any case, don't go further until you can ping each of your computers.
>
> Ping is a useful program. For example, sometimes IE or Firefox times out.
> What I do to start researchin the problem is to ping the host of my ISP (in
> my case it is yahoo). So I enter ping www.yahoo.com to see if yahoo is up
> or not.
>
> Jim

Pete

THANK YOU both Jim and Jack for your help and suggestions. Sorry that I had
so many questions when a simple oversight solved everything. It's good to
know that there are people who will take the time to try and help out someone
with more ideas than knowledge about how to impliment them. I checked out
the firewall it is on so it must have recognized the network because
everything seems to be working the way I wanted it to.

THANKS AGAIN

Pete