Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Problem nesting a div within a div

Problem nesting a div within a div

Leupi

I have the rudimentary beginnings of a site and I am having an issue
nesting a div within a div. The parent div seems to ignore the nested
div, almost as if the nested div were absolutely positioned. This
happens in Firefox and Epiphany, although not in Opera. Opera displays
it as I want.

Could someone please look at what I have
(http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/) and advise? Please keep in mind that
the graphics are crap and I am just starting the design and suddenly got
nailed with this div issue and am a bit confused as to what I am doing
wrong.

Thanks,
Todd

rf

"Leupi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newshbqj.3490$eD3.3070@trndny05...
>I have the rudimentary beginnings of a site and I am having an issue
>nesting a div within a div. The parent div seems to ignore the nested div,
>almost as if the nested div were absolutely positioned. This happens in
>Firefox and Epiphany, although not in Opera. Opera displays it as I want.
>
> Could someone please look at what I have
> (http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/) and advise? Please keep in mind that
> the graphics are crap and I am just starting the design and suddenly got
> nailed with this div issue and am a bit confused as to what I am doing
> wrong.

Your doctype is running the browsers in quirks mode so all other bets are
off.

If you mean the div with the triangle thing then FF is doing it correct. The
div is floated so it *should* extend below its parent if it is too long to
fit inside the parent.

Opera appears to be getting this wrong, probably because of quirks mode.

--
Richard.

Mullein row

On Feb 5, 11:08*pm, Leupi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have the rudimentary beginnings of a site and I am having an issue
> nesting a div within a div. The parent div seems to ignore the nested
> div, almost as if the nested div were absolutely positioned. This
> happens in Firefox and Epiphany, although not in Opera. Opera displays
> it as I want.
>
> Could someone please look at what I have
> (http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/) and advise? Please keep in mind that
> the graphics are crap and I am just starting the design and suddenly got
> nailed with this div issue and am a bit confused as to what I am doing
> wrong.
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

I'm having a hard time trying to understand what you are asking for
but is your problem that the logo overlaps the dotted blue line?

this is what it looks like in safari:
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4637/picture1zb1.png

leupi

rf wrote:
> "Leupi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newshbqj.3490$eD3.3070@trndny05...
>> I have the rudimentary beginnings of a site and I am having an issue
>> nesting a div within a div. The parent div seems to ignore the nested div,
>> almost as if the nested div were absolutely positioned. This happens in
>> Firefox and Epiphany, although not in Opera. Opera displays it as I want.
>>
>> Could someone please look at what I have
>> (http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/) and advise? Please keep in mind that
>> the graphics are crap and I am just starting the design and suddenly got
>> nailed with this div issue and am a bit confused as to what I am doing
>> wrong.

> Your doctype is running the browsers in quirks mode so all other bets are
> off.
>
> If you mean the div with the triangle thing then FF is doing it correct. The
> div is floated so it *should* extend below its parent if it is too long to
> fit inside the parent.
>
> Opera appears to be getting this wrong, probably because of quirks mode.

I did not realize that floating a nested a div in another div would have
that effect, that would certainly explain the issue. The look that I
want is what Opera is showing do I will have to play around with the
layout some (knowing what I now know...).

I changed the doctype to:
I would imagine that that would get it out of quirks mode.

Thanks for your insight, it was very helpful.

Thanks,
Todd

dorayme

In article <xhbqj.3490$eD3.3070@trndny05>,
Leupi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have the rudimentary beginnings of a site and I am having an issue
> nesting a div within a div. The parent div seems to ignore the nested
> div, almost as if the nested div were absolutely positioned. This
> happens in Firefox and Epiphany, although not in Opera. Opera displays
> it as I want.
>
> Could someone please look at what I have
> (http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/) and advise? Please keep in mind that
> the graphics are crap and I am just starting the design and suddenly got
> nailed with this div issue and am a bit confused as to what I am doing
> wrong.

If you have time, perhaps look at

<http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse>

--
dorayme

Nik Coughlin

"Leupi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newshbqj.3490$eD3.3070@trndny05...
>I have the rudimentary beginnings of a site and I am having an issue
>nesting a div within a div. The parent div seems to ignore the nested div,
>almost as if the nested div were absolutely positioned. This happens in
>Firefox and Epiphany, although not in Opera. Opera displays it as I want.
>
> Could someone please look at what I have
> (http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/) and advise?

Clear your float

Leupi

dorayme wrote:
> In article <xhbqj.3490$eD3.3070@trndny05>,
> Leupi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have the rudimentary beginnings of a site and I am having an issue
>> nesting a div within a div. The parent div seems to ignore the nested
>> div, almost as if the nested div were absolutely positioned. This
>> happens in Firefox and Epiphany, although not in Opera. Opera displays
>> it as I want.
>>
>> Could someone please look at what I have
>> (http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/) and advise? Please keep in mind that
>> the graphics are crap and I am just starting the design and suddenly got
>> nailed with this div issue and am a bit confused as to what I am doing
>> wrong.
>>

> If you have time, perhaps look at
>
> <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse>

Thanks for the link, it looks highly informative. I'll definitely spend
time reading it. I think that I have most of my CSS issues solved on the
site, now I just need to get the 'design' issues sorted out.

Thanks everyone for all of the help.

Todd