Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows XP 64-bit error

Windows XP 64-bit error

Ringboche

Hi,

The operating system on my computer is Windows XP Professional x64 edition,
version 2003, service pack 2. I am trying to install a DVD with a program
that is supposedly written for a Windows 64 bit operating system. However,
when I try to run the AutoExec.exe file, I get the error "D:\AutoExec.exe is
not a valid win32 application" Why would the error say "is not a valid win32
application" when my operating system is 64-bit? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Ringboche

Charlie Russel - MVP

It is likely that the program you are trying to install is written for an
Itanium system, now a Windows x64 system. There are two, completely
incompatible, 64-bit hardware platforms that Windows can support. The x64
platform that is used for Windows XP x64, Windows Vista 64, and Windows
Server 2003 & 2008 x64 versions, is based on the AMD developed 64-bit
extensions to the 32-bit x86 architecture. Intel now also supports those
with their EM64T extensions, which are binary compatible with the AMD64
design. XP x64 supports most 32-bit programs running natively in the WOW64
subsystem.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Ringboche" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> The operating system on my computer is Windows XP Professional x64
> edition,
> version 2003, service pack 2. I am trying to install a DVD with a program
> that is supposedly written for a Windows 64 bit operating system.
> However,
> when I try to run the AutoExec.exe file, I get the error "D:\AutoExec.exe
> is
> not a valid win32 application" Why would the error say "is not a valid
> win32
> application" when my operating system is 64-bit? Any help would be
> greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ringboche

Ringboche

Thanks Charlie, I will look into this possibility.