Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Lethal video cards

Lethal video cards

dogbreath

Might a video card be responsible for the premature demise of an LCD
monitor? My daughter has had to replace her monitor like 3 times in
the past couple of years. What would cause an LCD monitor to crap out
at so tender an age?

I've got the same computer. I built them both. I put Matrox video in
both, and her card died young. I replaced it with another Matrox, and
subsequently her husband replaced the Matrox, still good, with another
brand with more memory. Are some cards hard on monitors? Or might it
be power surges? Evil spirits? Karma?

Baron

dogbreath wrote:

> Might a video card be responsible for the premature demise of an LCD
> monitor? My daughter has had to replace her monitor like 3 times in
> the past couple of years. What would cause an LCD monitor to crap out
> at so tender an age?
>
> I've got the same computer. I built them both. I put Matrox video in
> both, and her card died young. I replaced it with another Matrox, and
> subsequently her husband replaced the Matrox, still good, with another
> brand with more memory. Are some cards hard on monitors? Or might it
> be power surges? Evil spirits? Karma?

Most of the low end LCD's are poor quality. Common failings are
Backlights, PSU's both internal and external ones.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dogbreath
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>Might a video card be responsible for the premature demise of an LCD
>monitor? My daughter has had to replace her monitor like 3 times in
>the past couple of years. What would cause an LCD monitor to crap out
>at so tender an age?

Had quite a few samsung's die rather early, some replaced under
warranty..

Wouldn't have thought the video card would be the case tho..

>I've got the same computer. I built them both. I put Matrox video in
>both, and her card died young. I replaced it with another Matrox, and
>subsequently her husband replaced the Matrox, still good, with another
>brand with more memory. Are some cards hard on monitors? Or might it
>be power surges? Evil spirits? Karma?

--
Tony Sayer

dogbreath

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 20:27:23 +0000, Baron
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>dogbreath wrote:
>
>> Might a video card be responsible for the premature demise of an LCD
>> monitor? My daughter has had to replace her monitor like 3 times in
>> the past couple of years. What would cause an LCD monitor to crap out
>> at so tender an age?
>>
>> I've got the same computer. I built them both. I put Matrox video in
>> both, and her card died young. I replaced it with another Matrox, and
>> subsequently her husband replaced the Matrox, still good, with another
>> brand with more memory. Are some cards hard on monitors? Or might it
>> be power surges? Evil spirits? Karma?

>Most of the low end LCD's are poor quality. Common failings are
>Backlights, PSU's both internal and external ones.

Thanks, Baron. That's helpful. I'll just replace the monitor and leave
the video card as is.

dogbreath

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 08:31:16 +0000, tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dogbreath
><(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>Might a video card be responsible for the premature demise of an LCD
>>monitor? My daughter has had to replace her monitor like 3 times in
>>the past couple of years. What would cause an LCD monitor to crap out
>>at so tender an age?
>>

>Had quite a few samsung's die rather early, some replaced under
>warranty..

Thanks, Tony. That lines up with what Baron said, above. And as a
matter of fact it was indeed a Samsung. Maybe under warranty, too, but
they kept no paperwork. I'll just lick my wounds and go for a better
brand. HP, maybe. Always had good luck with HP.

dullpain

Video cards are only stressed by intense playing of high end 3d games. They
get hotter than the CPU.
Many gamers have learned the hard way about overheating.
However for normal uses even the lowliest motherboard based video chip is
barely stressed in the slightest, which is why motherboard based graphics
like the ubiquitous Intel chips are so absolutely awful: no one notices if
all they do are text based tasks or view static images.
Total LCD failure, even for the low end panels, is actually not all that
common despite what people here have posted.
Repeated failure of that sort does indeed suggest that power surges may be
an issue.

dogbreath

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 02:38:10 GMT, "dullpain" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Video cards are only stressed by intense playing of high end 3d games. They
>get hotter than the CPU.
>Many gamers have learned the hard way about overheating.
>However for normal uses even the lowliest motherboard based video chip is
>barely stressed in the slightest, which is why motherboard based graphics
>like the ubiquitous Intel chips are so absolutely awful: no one notices if
>all they do are text based tasks or view static images.
>Total LCD failure, even for the low end panels, is actually not all that
>common despite what people here have posted.
>Repeated failure of that sort does indeed suggest that power surges may be
>an issue.

Thanks, dullpain.

The video card seems to be working ok. When I turn on the monitor, it
comes on for a half second and then goes blank. Then I turn the
monitor off and back on, and it comes on again for a half second and
then goes blank. I can repeat that all day.

I thought that looked like a power supply problem, where some
electrolytic cap charges up and then shorts out. A cheap monitor might
have cheap electrolytics. On the other hand, a power surge might do
them in too.

I'm going to check their surge protection. That may indeed be the root
problem here.

Paul

dogbreath wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 02:38:10 GMT, "dullpain" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks, dullpain.
>
> The video card seems to be working ok. When I turn on the monitor, it
> comes on for a half second and then goes blank. Then I turn the
> monitor off and back on, and it comes on again for a half second and
> then goes blank. I can repeat that all day.
>
> I thought that looked like a power supply problem, where some
> electrolytic cap charges up and then shorts out. A cheap monitor might
> have cheap electrolytics. On the other hand, a power surge might do
> them in too.
>
> I'm going to check their surge protection. That may indeed be the root
> problem here.

Your symptom description sounds like inverter failure inside the
monitor. Another thing you might notice, is the display image is
correct, for the half second you can see the display. So the
monitor is still running, but without the internal light source
(CCFL tube) working, you can no longer see the image.

On some monitors, you can squeeze a little extra life from them,
by reducing the intensity level of the backlight. Some inverters
are operating "on the edge" of shutdown, and by reducing the
amount of power you are asking them to deliver, you can get a
few more weeks from the monitor. But, because you cannot see the
OSD, to make the adjustment, it is virtually impossible to do
that blind. If you knew the interface very well, you may be able
to use whatever buttons the unit has, to set the intensity.

If the monitor has some software that can be used to control the
monitor, then that might give another way to set the intensity.

In early life, some cheap monitors have panel failures,
where the driver ICs or the wiring to the matrix is screwed up.
You might see a bright colored line running down the screen for
example. If the panel is defect free, then the next failure
to occur will probably be the inverter. CCFL lamp failure
is further out, and I've only had one person report symptoms
consistent with CCFL failure (gradual dimming and discoloration
of display). So chances are, the problem is the inverter.

You can see here, inverter replacement is a great business to be in.
http://www.lcdpart.com/doc/inverter_2.html

Paul

Baron

Paul wrote:

> dogbreath wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 02:38:10 GMT, "dullpain" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, dullpain.
>>
>> The video card seems to be working ok. When I turn on the monitor, it
>> comes on for a half second and then goes blank. Then I turn the
>> monitor off and back on, and it comes on again for a half second and
>> then goes blank. I can repeat that all day.
>>
>> I thought that looked like a power supply problem, where some
>> electrolytic cap charges up and then shorts out. A cheap monitor
>> might have cheap electrolytics. On the other hand, a power surge
>> might do them in too.
>>
>> I'm going to check their surge protection. That may indeed be the
>> root problem here.
>>

> Your symptom description sounds like inverter failure inside the
> monitor. Another thing you might notice, is the display image is
> correct, for the half second you can see the display. So the
> monitor is still running, but without the internal light source
> (CCFL tube) working, you can no longer see the image.

> Paul

Thats what I was going to say. You beat me to it Paul.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.