Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome

Combating Creeping Lens Syndrome

jmc

Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep.

I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:

What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

jmc

salgud

On Feb 5, 3:45*am, jmc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. *In the
> beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
> the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep.
>
> I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
> most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
> had in my truck. *It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:
>
> What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
> carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?
>
> jmc

Superglue will do it.

TConway

"salgud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Feb 5, 3:45 am, jmc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
> beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
> the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep.
>
> I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
> most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
> had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:
>
> What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
> carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?
>
> jmc

Superglue will do it.

uh, I think he means to be able to use it later.

salgud

On Feb 5, 9:49*am, "TConway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "salgud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Feb 5, 3:45 am, jmc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
> > beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
> > the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep..

> > I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
> > most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
> > had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:

> > What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
> > carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

> > jmc

> Superglue will do it.
>
> uh, I think he means to be able to use it later.

Picky, picky, picky.

TConway

"salgud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Feb 5, 9:49 am, "TConway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "salgud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Feb 5, 3:45 am, jmc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
> > beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
> > the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens
> > Creep.

> > I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
> > most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
> > had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:

> > What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
> > carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

> > jmc

> Superglue will do it.
>
> uh, I think he means to be able to use it later.

Picky, picky, picky.

actually, a piece of gaffer tape (not duct tape, it will leave residue)
might hold it temporarily.

John Navas

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 20:15:06 +0930, jmc
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
>beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
>the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep.
>
>I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
>most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
>had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:
>
>What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
>carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Ray Paseur

>>What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
>>carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

> Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.

This is a common occurrence with the lenses that change length as they zoom
or change focus. I've seen the behavior in high quality lenses from both
Nikon and Canon. You can choose prime lenses, but that defeats the
convenience of zoom. Over time I've developed the habit of zooming back to
short, then out to my desired point. It takes a second, but it does the
trick. ~Ray

John Navas

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 01:26:31 GMT, Ray Paseur
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<b18qj.26142$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>>>What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
>>>carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

>> Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.

>This is a common occurrence with the lenses that change length as they zoom
>or change focus. I've seen the behavior in high quality lenses from both
>Nikon and Canon. You can choose prime lenses, but that defeats the
>convenience of zoom. Over time I've developed the habit of zooming back to
>short, then out to my desired point. It takes a second, but it does the
>trick. ~Ray

To be clear, I was really suggesting two different alternatives.

1. If creep _isn't_ normal for the lens, get if fixed under warranty if
possible, or consider replacing it, as in the next item.

2. If creep _is_ normal for the lens, consider replacing it with a
different make/model lens that doesn't creek.

Or learn to live with it, as Ray has suggested.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (and several others)

Frank ess

Ray Paseur wrote:
>>> What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
>>> carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

>> Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.
>>

> This is a common occurrence with the lenses that change length as
> they zoom or change focus. I've seen the behavior in high quality
> lenses from both Nikon and Canon. You can choose prime lenses, but
> that defeats the convenience of zoom. Over time I've developed the
> habit of zooming back to short, then out to my desired point. It
> takes a second, but it does the trick. ~Ray

I have one lens with a switch that keeps it at the short end. Trouble
is, one more step between carrying and shooting. It does work.
(Canon 70-300 DO IS, a compact, versatile piece with few drawbacks,
other than declining sharpness beyond 200mm, and kinda-small maximum
aperture)

jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Frank ess exclaimed (2/6/2008 1:44 PM):

>>> Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.
>>>

>> This is a common occurrence with the lenses that change length as
>> they zoom or change focus. I've seen the behavior in high quality
>> lenses from both Nikon and Canon. You can choose prime lenses, but
>> that defeats the convenience of zoom. Over time I've developed the
>> habit of zooming back to short, then out to my desired point. It
>> takes a second, but it does the trick. ~Ray

> I have one lens with a switch that keeps it at the short end. Trouble
> is, one more step between carrying and shooting. It does work.
> (Canon 70-300 DO IS, a compact, versatile piece with few drawbacks,
> other than declining sharpness beyond 200mm, and kinda-small maximum
> aperture)

I have that lens too, and note the same disadvantages as you do. The
short lens length is better for me though, I'm a small person with small
hands, and longer zooms are problematic for me.

The one with creep is a Canon as well. It's a great lens, aside from
the creep.

jmc

creeping consensus Roedy Green Java 6 02-26-2013 03:02 PM
Need debugging knowhow for my creeping Unicodephobia kj Python 16 02-13-2010 05:48 AM
Help me combating with the virus!! munitech4u Computer Support 3 10-08-2008 05:05 AM
The ever decreasing circles syndrome & wireless networking! David W Allen Wireless Networking 9 11-18-2004 11:57 AM
Creeping mice Bob - Andover, MA Computer Support 5 02-25-2004 08:50 PM

Advertisments