Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Office 2007 (Word)

Office 2007 (Word)

PWB

I have office 2007 , how do I send .docs to others so that they can open
them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are unable to
open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group knows if all office
2007 applications are similer ? TIA

Richard

"PWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lKVpj.2595$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have office 2007 , how do I send .docs to others so that they can open
>them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are unable to
>open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group knows if all
>office 2007 applications are similer ? TIA

They can install Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and
PowerPoint 2007 File Formats. Only 27.5 Mb

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

PWB wrote:

> I have office 2007 , how do I send .docs to others so that they can
> open them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are
> unable to open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group
> knows if all office 2007 applications are similer ? TIA

You are probably saving the file in the new Microsoft default
proprietary format of ".docx".

File > Save As...
and pick something the rest of the world can read.

.rtf
.doc (for those with word processors)
Plain Text ...

"Richard" suggests asking everyone else to install 27 Megabytes of a
compatibility pack ... that borders on rudeness. (Sorry, Richard.)

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

Mike Easter

PWB wrote:
> I have office 2007 ,

Whose proprietary default XML format is way incompatible with the world
at large including MS Office for Mac.

> how do I send .docs to others so that they can
> open them with older versions of office?

Use your 'Save as' function and choose "Word/Excel/PowerPoint 97-2003
Document" (.doc, .xls, .ppt)"

> as some of my contacts are
> unable to open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group
> knows if all office 2007 applications are similer ?

Yes. The suit defaults into xml.

MS also offers you a 'save as .pdf or .xps' add-on

--
Mike Easter

Old Codger

PWB wrote:
> I have office 2007 , how do I send .docs to others so that they can open
> them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are unable to
> open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group knows if all office
> 2007 applications are similer ? TIA

Use Open Office instead?

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Mike Easter

Old Codger wrote:
> PWB wrote:
>> I have office 2007 , how do I send .docs to others so that they can
>> open them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are
>> unable to open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group
>> knows if all office 2007 applications are similer ? TIA
>>

> Use Open Office instead?

That is a good suggestion. People who share documents shouldn't use MS
Office beyond 2003. Besides the issue of the incompatible default .XML
format, we haven't even started talking about the problem of the
incompatible fonts and the impact of the incompatible fonts on font
metric manifestations.

MS is so completely hungup on its proprietary world that it chooses to
be incompatible with the rest of the world, as if everyone should
immediately go buy some new computers and Vista and Office 2007.

Instead of that, people should *not* buy computers with Vista installed
and should *not* try to share docs created with Office 2007.

If you are going to share docs, use Open Office (or alternatively Google
docs) to create them. If the shared docs don't need shared editing but
just viewing and/or printing, then save them as .pdf from OO.

--
Mike Easter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Old Codger wrote:

> PWB wrote:
>> I have office 2007 , how do I send .docs to others so that they can
>> open them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are
>> unable to open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group
>> knows if all office 2007 applications are similer ? TIA

> Use Open Office instead?

Great idea! Though one must still remember to Save As a format that
others can read. RTF is usually best.

--

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Old Codger wrote:
>
>> PWB wrote:
>>> I have office 2007 , how do I send .docs to others so that they can
>>> open them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are
>>> unable to open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group
>>> knows if all office 2007 applications are similer ? TIA

>> Use Open Office instead?

> Great idea! Though one must still remember to Save As a format that
> others can read. RTF is usually best.

Indeed.

The other advantage is that OO will open most other formats of
documents, spreadsheets and presentations.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Mike Easter

Old Codger wrote:

> The other advantage is that OO will open most other formats of
> documents, spreadsheets and presentations.

OO doesn't have a converter yet for MS's OOXML, MS doesn't make a 'real'
converter for its OOXML yet, except something to help its older versions
of Office to partially handle it. The alleged converters are
bogus/hoaxes and incomplete.

OOXML ie ECMA 376 is a great big mess that MS is working diligently at
forcing down the world's throat.

--
Mike Easter

PWB