Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to convert cassettes to CD?

How to convert cassettes to CD?

Allrightythen

Hi,

I have some old cassettes that I would like to convert to CD. I have googled
this and found many websites, but I guess I'm just not savvy enough to
understand the seemingly simple instructions! For example, at
http://www.andybrain.com/archive/con...cd-digital.htm, it
mentions a "Line in" jack on my computer's sound card. I see a microphone
jack, and a headphone jack but not a line in jack. Is a line in jack common,
or would I have to have a special sound card?

From the web page, it looks like I can connect the player to my computer
using the headphone jack (on the player) to my microphone jack (on my
computer) and then use the software mentioned on that page. Sounds easy
enough, but does anyone have any opinions on this ... other than why on
earth don't I just throw out the darn cassettes

Radio Shack wanted to sell me a package which included software and cables
for $80, claiming that it would work much better and said the results would
be stereo, too. Any comments on that?

Thank you very much!
-TJ

richard

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 20:29:23 -0500, "Allrightythen"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have some old cassettes that I would like to convert to CD. I have googled
>this and found many websites, but I guess I'm just not savvy enough to
>understand the seemingly simple instructions! For example, at
>http://www.andybrain.com/archive/con...cd-digital.htm, it
>mentions a "Line in" jack on my computer's sound card. I see a microphone
>jack, and a headphone jack but not a line in jack. Is a line in jack common,
>or would I have to have a special sound card?

Try using the "microphone" jack as stated in the article.
However, this may cause problems as there will be an impedance
mismatch. But do note, he said, "use the LINE OUT" on the cassette
player, not the speaker output. Big difference. If you don't have that
jack, buy a small unit that has it.

>From the web page, it looks like I can connect the player to my computer
>using the headphone jack (on the player) to my microphone jack (on my
>computer) and then use the software mentioned on that page. Sounds easy
>enough, but does anyone have any opinions on this ... other than why on
>earth don't I just throw out the darn cassettes

Headphones and line out are two different things. You will be highly
disappointed with the results.

>Radio Shack wanted to sell me a package which included software and cables
>for $80, claiming that it would work much better and said the results would
>be stereo, too. Any comments on that?

Not true stereo. You can't convert mono to stereo this way.

>Thank you very much!
>-TJ

Frank

"Allrightythen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47a7bbef$0$6158$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have some old cassettes that I would like to convert to CD. I have
> googled this and found many websites, but I guess I'm just not savvy
> enough to understand the seemingly simple instructions! For example, at
> http://www.andybrain.com/archive/con...cd-digital.htm, it
> mentions a "Line in" jack on my computer's sound card. I see a microphone
> jack, and a headphone jack but not a line in jack. Is a line in jack
> common, or would I have to have a special sound card?

Most soundcards come with a separate line in jack and that is what you
should use. If it doesn't have the line in jack, you should be able to use
the mic jack as the line in jack - I think it automatically switch to line
in function once it senses an input from your cassette or by soundcard
software setup.

> From the web page, it looks like I can connect the player to my computer
> using the headphone jack (on the player) to my microphone jack (on my
> computer) and then use the software mentioned on that page. Sounds easy
> enough, but does anyone have any opinions on this ... other than why on
> earth don't I just throw out the darn cassettes

Should work, your soundcard software should work too. If you could not get
the content anywhere else but from the cassettes, I wouldn't throw it out.

> Radio Shack wanted to sell me a package which included software and cables
> for $80, claiming that it would work much better and said the results
> would be stereo, too. Any comments on that?

Many of the free software downloads are better than the retail packages.
Most all soundcards would be stereo anyway and the cable is only a couple of
dollars.