Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Alternatives to xml-stylesheet procssing instructions

Alternatives to xml-stylesheet procssing instructions

Jon

I have experimented in the past with the <?xml-stylesheet ...?>
processing instruction with mixed success between different browsers
but my principle object to it is that it has to be embedded in the
prologue XML document itself. What I would like to be able to do is
to control the style sheet applied to an XML document as the browser
follows the link to that document from an HTML document. I have
looked at the syntax for the <a> and <link> HTML tags and am not
certain regarding this capability. Can anyone confirm whether this is
possible?

regards,

Jon Trauntvein

Pavel Lepin

Jon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:
> I have experimented in the past with the <?xml-stylesheet
> ...?> processing instruction with mixed success between
> different browsers but my principle object to it is that
> it has to be embedded in the prologue XML document itself.

> What I would like to be able to do is to control the style
> sheet applied to an XML document as the browser follows
> the link to that document from an HTML document.

Transform server-side and serve the results. That way you
have full control over the transformation you're using on
your source document, and can even parametrise the
transformation using the feedback from the client. This was
discussed recently in the thread 'Pushing multiple xml
through a xsl file to generate a single html page'.

> I have looked at the syntax for the <a> and <link> HTML
> tags and am not certain regarding this capability. Can
> anyone confirm whether this is possible?

It's not.

--
<>There is no phenotype</>

Jon

On Feb 5, 12:50 am, Pavel Lepin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> > I have experimented in the past with the <?xml-stylesheet
> > ...?> processing instruction with mixed success between
> > different browsers but my principle object to it is that
> > it has to be embedded in the prologue XML document itself.
> > What I would like to be able to do is to control the style
> > sheet applied to an XML document as the browser follows
> > the link to that document from an HTML document.

> Transform server-side and serve the results. That way you
> have full control over the transformation you're using on
> your source document, and can even parametrise the
> transformation using the feedback from the client. This was
> discussed recently in the thread 'Pushing multiple xml
> through a xsl file to generate a single html page'.

Unfortunately, the server side is a datalogger with limited processing
power and memory so server side transformation does not appear to be
an option. Regardless, I thank you for your response.

Regards,

Jon Trauntvein

Pavel Lepin

Jon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:
> On Feb 5, 12:50 am, Pavel Lepin <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Jon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > I have experimented in the past with the
>> > <?xml-stylesheet ...?> processing instruction with
>> > mixed success between different browsers but my
>> > principle object to it is that it has to be embedded in
>> > the prologue XML document itself. What I would like to
>> > be able to do is to control the style sheet applied to
>> > an XML document as the browser follows the link to that
>> > document from an HTML document.

>> Transform server-side and serve the results. That way you
>> have full control over the transformation you're using on
>> your source document, and can even parametrise the
>> transformation using the feedback from the client. This
>> was discussed recently in the thread 'Pushing multiple
>> xml through a xsl file to generate a single html page'.

> Unfortunately, the server side is a datalogger with
> limited processing power and memory so server side
> transformation does not appear to be
> an option. Regardless, I thank you for your response.

*shrug* Tools for tasks. If your datalogger is not powerful
enough for this, leave it to its datalogging and set up a
proper server that would yank your documents from the
datalogger, transform them and serve to the end-user.

--
When all you have is a transformation engine, everything
looks like a tree.