Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Registry Cleaner

Registry Cleaner

Baldy

I've done virus scan, spyware scan using Spybot SD, AdAwareSE, AVG
AntiSpyware and AVG Free. I've run CCleaner and run the error fix and ran
HDValet.. the only tools I have on my computer. Still seems to be running
slower than I'd expect.

Question.. is there a relatively safe Registry Cleaner for a non techie?
Possibly one that I can run, make a copy of suggested fixes and has a forum
that one can post the log to for cleaning suggestions? Seems like I read
about a hijacking program a few years ago but don't know if this fixes
registry issues or ??

Thanks for any help

--
Bill, Healdsburg, CA
Some Of My Woodcarvings: www.picturetrail.com/chips

olfart

"Baldy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've done virus scan, spyware scan using Spybot SD, AdAwareSE, AVG
> AntiSpyware and AVG Free. I've run CCleaner and run the error fix and ran
> HDValet.. the only tools I have on my computer. Still seems to be running
> slower than I'd expect.
>
> Question.. is there a relatively safe Registry Cleaner for a non techie?
> Possibly one that I can run, make a copy of suggested fixes and has a
> forum that one can post the log to for cleaning suggestions? Seems like I
> read about a hijacking program a few years ago but don't know if this
> fixes registry issues or ??
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> --
> Bill, Healdsburg, CA
> Some Of My Woodcarvings: www.picturetrail.com/chips

CCleaner has a Registry cleaner

richard

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 05:42:33 -0800, "Baldy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've done virus scan, spyware scan using Spybot SD, AdAwareSE, AVG
>AntiSpyware and AVG Free. I've run CCleaner and run the error fix and ran
>HDValet.. the only tools I have on my computer. Still seems to be running
>slower than I'd expect.
>
>Question.. is there a relatively safe Registry Cleaner for a non techie?
>Possibly one that I can run, make a copy of suggested fixes and has a forum
>that one can post the log to for cleaning suggestions? Seems like I read
>about a hijacking program a few years ago but don't know if this fixes
>registry issues or ??
>
>Thanks for any help

"Hijack This" is the program you're thinking of.

http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

"Easy cleaner" has been a long time favorite and has an easy to use
interface. With support from the writer himself.

Hadn't used it on this vista premium machine so I tried it out. It
picked up on a lot of M$ stuff that is questionable and would not
delete the entries. But you can bet Toni's cleaner is by far better
than most you have to pay for. He's been working on it for over 10
years.

Desk Rabbit

Baldy wrote:
> I've done virus scan, spyware scan using Spybot SD, AdAwareSE, AVG
> AntiSpyware and AVG Free. I've run CCleaner and run the error fix and ran
> HDValet.. the only tools I have on my computer. Still seems to be running
> slower than I'd expect.
>
> Question.. is there a relatively safe Registry Cleaner for a non techie?
> Possibly one that I can run, make a copy of suggested fixes and has a forum
> that one can post the log to for cleaning suggestions? Seems like I read
> about a hijacking program a few years ago but don't know if this fixes
> registry issues or ??

Thats a fairly large assumption that a registry cleaner will help at
all. How about you tell us what the spec of your machine is (Be detailed
in this please) and give us some timings on how long common tasks take
such as opening your web browser/word processor.

Buffalo

"Baldy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've done virus scan, spyware scan using Spybot SD, AdAwareSE, AVG
> AntiSpyware and AVG Free. I've run CCleaner and run the error fix and ran
> HDValet.. the only tools I have on my computer. Still seems to be running
> slower than I'd expect.
>
> Question.. is there a relatively safe Registry Cleaner for a non techie?
> Possibly one that I can run, make a copy of suggested fixes and has a

forum
> that one can post the log to for cleaning suggestions? Seems like I read
> about a hijacking program a few years ago but don't know if this fixes
> registry issues or ??
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> --
> Bill, Healdsburg, CA
> Some Of My Woodcarvings: www.picturetrail.com/chips

Many real good techs will recommend against using any 'Registry Cleaner'
because they can easily do more harm than good.
I have used Toni's EasyCleaner,RegSeeker and CCleaner (CrapCleaner) with
good results.
They all have back-up features, but if you're computer won't boot, this
feature becomes nil.
So, be sure to be knowledgeable about how to boot up in the above scenerio
and to reinstall the removed registry entries.

However, I don't really believe that they will help speed up your computer
noticeably.

Try the free version of SuperAntiSpyware (superantispyware.com), get the
latest definitions and see what it comes up with.
The free version will clean just as well as the paid version , but it is an
on-demand scanner only in the free version.
I use the paid version and I am very happy with it.

Please report back with what works for you.

Not sure what OS you are using, but you may have unnecessary programs
running all the time.
Task Manager or some other free program may help pinpoint what is using your
memory and cpu.
HiJackThis is what was mentioned in another thread and can be an excellent
diagnostic tool.

old man

Without knowing what o/s you are using, the spec of your PC & what you think
is slow its all a stab in the dark

"Baldy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've done virus scan, spyware scan using Spybot SD, AdAwareSE, AVG
> AntiSpyware and AVG Free. I've run CCleaner and run the error fix and ran
> HDValet.. the only tools I have on my computer. Still seems to be running
> slower than I'd expect.
>
> Question.. is there a relatively safe Registry Cleaner for a non techie?
> Possibly one that I can run, make a copy of suggested fixes and has a
> forum that one can post the log to for cleaning suggestions? Seems like I
> read about a hijacking program a few years ago but don't know if this
> fixes registry issues or ??
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> --
> Bill, Healdsburg, CA
> Some Of My Woodcarvings: www.picturetrail.com/chips

VanguardLH

"Baldy" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've done virus scan, spyware scan using Spybot SD, AdAwareSE, AVG
> AntiSpyware and AVG Free. I've run CCleaner and run the error fix
> and ran HDValet.. the only tools I have on my computer. Still seems
> to be running slower than I'd expect.
>
> Question.. is there a relatively safe Registry Cleaner for a non
> techie? Possibly one that I can run, make a copy of suggested fixes
> and has a forum that one can post the log to for cleaning
> suggestions? Seems like I read about a hijacking program a few
> years ago but don't know if this fixes registry issues or ??

Do you have a backup & restore plan in place? When (and not if) the
registry cleaner corrupts your registry and when you can no longer
boot into Windows, just how are you going to restore that OS partition
so it is usable again? Even if you use a registry cleaner that
provides for backups of its changes so you can revert back to the
prior state, how are you going to perform that restore if you cannot
boot the OS after hosing over its registry? What about entries in the
registry that look to be orphaned under the current OS load instance
but are used under a different OS environment? You delete what looks
orphaned only to find out that they are required under a different
environment.

Say there was an unusually high amount of orphaned entries in your
registry, like 4MB. By deleting it, you would speed up how long it
takes Windows to load the registry's files when it starts up - by all
of maybe 1 second. Oooh, aaah. All that risk of modifying the
registry to save maybe a second, or less, during the Windows startup.
Most folks that clean the registry end up deleting only 10KB, or less.
They are doing nothing to improve their Windows load time. Since the
registry is only read from the memory copy of it, and since memory is
random access, there is no difference to read one byte of the registry
(in memory) from the another byte in the registry (in memory). The
extra data in memory for orphaned entries has no effect on the time to
retrieve items from the memory copy of the registry.

Cleaning the registry will NOT improve performance in reading from the
memory copy of the registry. The reduced size of the registry's .dat
files might reduce the load time of Windows by all of a second and
probably much less. And you want to risk the stability of your OS for
inconsequential changes to its registry. The same boobs that get
suckered into these registry cleanup "tools" are the same ones that
get suckered into the memory defragment "tools".

A registry cleaner should only be used if you yourself can correctly
cleanup the registry. The cleaner is just a tool to automate the same
process but you should know every change that it intends to make and
understand each of those changes. After all, and regardless of the
stagnant expertise coded into the utility, *YOU* are the final
authority in what registry changes are performed whether you do it
manually or with a utility.

Baldy

Thanks all.. I'm using Win XP Pro.. with the latest updates.

I think I'll take the general concensus of what I read.. leave it as is and
just continue using the current tools..

I'll look into the "superantispyware"

Thanks again..

Bill

Baldy

Thanks all.. I'm using Win XP Pro.. with the latest updates.

I think I'll take the general concensus of what I read.. leave it as is and
just continue using the current tools..

I'll look into the "superantispyware"

Thanks again..

Bill

chuckcar

"Baldy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks all.. I'm using Win XP Pro.. with the latest updates.
>
> I think I'll take the general concensus of what I read.. leave it as
> is and just continue using the current tools..
>
> I'll look into the "superantispyware"
>
> Thanks again..
>
> Bill

I quickly scanned your replies and didn't see any real fixes per se. Try
disabling your startup and see if that helps. Generally that is the most
common cause (in any windows since 95).

start->run msconfig<enter>

uncheck startup
<apply>
yes to restart. When it comes back it will ask you if you want to undo
what you just did, say *no* (a minor stupidity in XP). If this speeds up
your system (as it will), you will want to re-enable your anti-virus
software. *only* the scanning part, you don't need to have the update
running continously as it only happens weekly at most right?.

same as above up to <enter>

then click on the *tab* marked startup and check the aforementioned
lines. You will have to sort them out for yourself. Then <apply>, yes
and *again* no to the undo on reboot and checkmark to not ask.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )